A bug leaves your car unlocked

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
You walked away without locking your car - it’s not the car’s fault.
^^

He left a door open and the car unlocked (like when you unload a car on purpose).

A bug would be if it locked as soon as you close a door.

It seems like an intentional feature not a bug.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RedStallion

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
You walked away without locking your car - it’s not the car’s fault.
Well, it is the car's fault, because it does have a walk away autolock, it just silently not doing that in this case. Don't tell me you have to always reach for your fob or phone and push the lock, that would be an awful solution. So whether it's by design or just oversight, it's still a bug from the user perspective.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Don't tell me you have to always reach for your fob or phone and push the lock, that would be an awful solution.
When I want my car to be locked, I lock it. I don’t reach for the fob or phone, I just hit the lock button on the outside of the door. This is the same way I’ve been locking cars for at least the past 15 years.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
I use the fob (apparently like an animal according to some on this board) and never experience an issue. No school like the old school!

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
When I want my car to be locked, I lock it. I don’t reach for the fob or phone, I just hit the lock button on the outside of the door. This is the same way I’ve been locking cars for at least the past 15 years.
Me too. And I can see the mirrors fold, so I know it has locked.

ReelSweet

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
don't laugh....what lock button? You mean the button to open the door?

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Well, it is the car's fault, because it does have a walk away autolock, it just silently not doing that in this case. Don't tell me you have to always reach for your fob or phone and push the lock, that would be an awful solution. So whether it's by design or just oversight, it's still a bug from the user perspective.
I appreciate this feature (definitely not a bug). Once, I unloaded groceries and left the hatch up and a door barely open as I made trips into the house with stuff, in order to avoid having to unlock the car each trip back to get more stuff (this hatch holds a lot of stuff!). When I was done, I closed the hatch and walked to the front door. Looked back as I always do to make sure the mirrors were turned in signifying a locked car. They were not! Then I realized my driver door was slightly ajar (open), went back and closed it, then walk-away lock worked as expected. I never touched my key fob (in pocket) or my phone (in pocket) to make it lock. I just used the walk-away lock feature as it was designed to be used. Simple and effective.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
It has walk away auto lock.

But when you walked away, the tail gate was open (so it couldn’t lock).

Then, you didn’t have the key on you later when you closed the gate and doors. So there was nothing for the car to detect you “walking away.”

Am I missing anything in the story?

It sounds like you want the car to lock whenever you close the doors, even if you don’t have the key on you.

That isn’t “walk away auto lock” it’s something entirely different. And it would be horribly annoying if you’re trying to leave the car unlocked (like when loading or unloading the car).

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Seems like its spelled out kind of clearly in the owner's manual:
Ford Mustang Mach-E A bug leaves your car unlocked 1642283360325

Note that all doors must be closed and unlocked.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yep. Or hit the lock button on the inside of the door as soon as I open it to exit. That's what I usually do, and it's smart enough to stay queued up until the doors close. As soon as the last door closes, it locks and the mirrors fold in (if that feature is turned on).

I also use the mirrors as the lock confirmation. Although I wish they gave us the option of a gentle chirp confirmation rather than the obnoxious horn.

OP
OP
RedStallion

RedStallion

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, et al
Country flag
It has walk away auto lock.

But when you walked away, the tail gate was open (so it couldn’t lock).

Then, you didn’t have the key on you later when you closed the gate and doors. So there was nothing for the car to detect you “walking away.”

Am I missing anything in the story?

It sounds like you want the car to lock whenever you close the doors, even if you don’t have the key on you.

That isn’t “walk away auto lock” it’s something entirely different. And it would be horribly annoying if you’re trying to leave the car unlocked (like when loading or unloading the car).
Wouldn't you agree that the basic operation should be locked at all times when the key is not detected? The car should lock all the doors as soon as they are closed. Why would anybody want anything different? Anything different is a security failure exposing your car to unauthorized access.