A Custom 3-D Printed Phone Mount for the Mach-E

MachDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Grey, 2023 GT Vapor Blue
Country flag
For my past few cars, I have become accustomed to using a magnetic cell phone mount. I prefer the Natomount:

Natomount

Ford Mustang Mach-E A Custom 3-D Printed Phone Mount for the Mach-E Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 9.31.49 PM

Unfortunately, there is no way to get this thing to fit in the MME. I tried various holders from Amazon but wasn’t happy with any of them. I wanted one that would connect to the back of the large display and have the phone at the level of the display. My first plan was to take a commercial product or 2 and cut and glue different ones together.

I decided to create one but wanted it to use the Natomount magnet. This is what their base looks like without the washer and magnet:

Ford Mustang Mach-E A Custom 3-D Printed Phone Mount for the Mach-E PXL_20210611_232610362

A friend suggested 3-D printing a mount. Our public library has a 3D printer and charges very little to use it.

I wanted to invest as little as possible so I used an online CAD app called TinkerCAD. It took a few days to figure out but I eventually came up with a Triangular design that:
  1. Had the same size ball as the Natomount so the magnet would connect, and
  2. Supported the weight of my monster phone.
This is the CAD version:

Ford Mustang Mach-E A Custom 3-D Printed Phone Mount for the Mach-E Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 9.33.46 PM

This is the 3-D printed version:

Ford Mustang Mach-E A Custom 3-D Printed Phone Mount for the Mach-E PXL_20210611_232542840

The final product was printed first in PLA plastic. This melted into a blob on the first sweltering day. My subsequent designs were then printed with ABS plastic and seem to withstand the heat very well.

The wide base is taped to the back of the display using 3M Permanent Double Sided Extremely Strong Mounting tape just like the Natomount devices do. This can be obtained at HD or Lowes. You will have to purchase a Natomount to get their magnet and screw attachment. A thin piece of metal sticks to the inside of your phone case. Be aware, on many phones the metal sticker will prevent wireless charging (not a concern for me).

The final result:

Ford Mustang Mach-E A Custom 3-D Printed Phone Mount for the Mach-E PXL_20210611_213943447

Ford Mustang Mach-E A Custom 3-D Printed Phone Mount for the Mach-E PXL_20210610_132749394

If people show interest, I will post the .OBJ or .STL files for you to print your own.

Jeff

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I can see I need to catch up on the reality of how some mods are just done now. Otherwise, I’m going to be the Sandy Munro character yelling, “Get off my grass!”

this is way cool.

OP
OP

MachDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can see I need to catch up on the reality of how some mods are just done now. Otherwise, I’m going to be the Sandy Munro character yelling, “Get off my grass!”

this is way cool.
Thanks.
J

Rebelchopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150, 2013 Santa Fe, 1968 Mustang, 2015 HD
Occupation
Jet engine quality inspector
Country flag
@MachDoc Would you please share the STL? I'm just now seeing this!

TheQ42

First Name
Quinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 4X
Occupation
Product Management
Country flag
Any chance you could throw the STL up on Thingiverse? I think getting the file out there (and starting a broader Mach-E community there) would be great :)

Nice work!

You could also try PETG--some variants of that material hold up well in the heat, but I'm not sure it'd be rigid enough . . .

OP
OP

MachDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The ABS material has held up beautifully in heat and cold.

alockbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I would love this file. I have a MagSafe charging mount that looks extremely similar to yours I’d love to use but couldn’t mount it. I was going to work on something similar since I have a 3D printer.

There are a few on Amazon like the Spigen OneTap but not ideal.

OP
OP

MachDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would love this file. I have a MagSafe charging mount that looks extremely similar to yours I’d love to use but couldn’t mount it. I was going to work on something similar since I have a 3D printer.

I PM'ed you the file. Good luck. Reach out if you have any questions

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Lexus IS300 autox/track car.
Country flag
I too would love to get the file please. Got a road trip coming up in a few weeks and it would be great to be able to use both screens.

OP
OP

MachDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I too would love to get the file please. Got a road trip coming up in a few weeks and it would be great to be able to use both screens.
Done, let me know if you have issues.

peterlhansen

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Red Premium AWD ER "Reddy"
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I wanted MagSafe charging, so I used the Spigen OneTap for the display-mounted ball mount, to which I attached an ESR HaloLock MagSafe charger. Both accommodate the standard 17mm ball methodology.
Ford Mustang Mach-E A Custom 3-D Printed Phone Mount for the Mach-E IMG_1107
Sponsored