cdr_taggart

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
My brand new Mach-E was hit in a resident-only section of a parking garage sometime in the last 12 hours. Absolutely crushed when I saw it this morning. Deep scratches on the bumper and a broken backup sensor. The sensor is the thing that guarantees it was hit while it was parked in the garage, as I would've noticed the car screaming at me when I backed up a couple times on the way home. A police report has been filed, and there are security cameras very close to the car.

This is the first time I've dealt with a situation like this. I'd appreciate any tips from others who have experienced a hit and run.

IMG_0541.jpeg
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
About all you can do is call your insurance company and start a claim. And the hope the camera got who did it so they can go after them. Your insurance should take care of everything for you.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
My brand new Mach-E was hit in a resident-only section of a parking garage sometime in the last 12 hours. Absolutely crushed when I saw it this morning. Deep scratches on the bumper and a broken backup sensor. The sensor is the thing that guarantees it was hit while it was parked in the garage, as I would've noticed the car screaming at me when I backed up a couple times on the way home. A police report has been filed, and there are security cameras very close to the car.

This is the first time I've dealt with a situation like this. I'd appreciate any tips from others who have experienced a hit and run.

Ford Mustang Mach-E A first? Hit and Run!!!! IMG_0541
NOOOO!!!!!! Ask your neighbors if they had driveway cameras set up. File a police report immediately and then insurance. Also, narrow down the time that it happened as best you can, and the location and everything else.

Contact Police ASAP as your first move.

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Can you request the security camera footage if that's a residents only area from your complex? Aside from that, file a claim. The price to repair will be the same regardless, it's just a matter of if you can find the license plate of the person that did it so they could be the ones paying the deductible.

A perfect use case for a sentry mode type capability of the car's plethora of cameras. Too bad this wasn't implemented (at least yet) by Ford.

cassmoney0523

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volvo S90, 2018 MB GLC300
Occupation
physician
Country flag
There is no good way to handle other than what you have already done.

mentally, it sucks. It is just a car. Metal, plastic, etc. I know it feels like a personal attack sometimes.
Sorry

milepost1

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carbonizied gray - FE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Hopefully being in resident parking and cameras can find the culprit and f....... him/her/car up. or Even if he is an a$$ hat for no note, you can try to do the right thing without adult supervision and just get his insurance info. Sometimes i hate adulting!

OP
OP

cdr_taggart

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Can you request the security camera footage if that's a residents only area from your complex? Aside from that, file a claim. The price to repair will be the same regardless, it's just a matter of if you can find the license plate of the person that did it so they could be the ones paying the deductible.

A perfect use case for a sentry mode type capability of the car's plethora of cameras. Too bad this wasn't implemented (at least yet) by Ford.
100% agreed on the sentry mode.
I just sent in the footage request. The security team in charge of the cameras needed a case number first, which I emailed to them. Hopefully the cameras are actually working, because if they are, there's no way it wasn't recorded.

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Walk around and look for matching damage on another car. Probably parked as far away from you as possible.

OP
OP

cdr_taggart

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Walk around and look for matching damage on another car. Probably parked as far away from you as possible.
Definitely. I'm going to check again tonight as I'm thinking this person hit me when they were leaving. They must be a resident to have had access, and this is the only place they can park for free around here.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Makes you wonder if they looked at what they hit and decided that was going to be expensive and got the hell out of there. lol.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
OUCH! Are these assigned parking spaces ... or can people park wherever they find an open spot?

Because given the yellow bollard, it looks like someone was backing out of a space opposite yours and back into you.

On the plus side of things... it looks like they only damaged the black cover on the bumper and nothing above that. A new piece has to be painted while it is off the car ... which means your dealer can likely order a replacement, paint it, let it cure, and then call you when they are ready to install it (just swapping yours) and it will be absolutely perfect again.

OP
OP

cdr_taggart

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
OUCH! Are these assigned parking spaces ... or can people park wherever they find an open spot?

Because given the yellow bollard, it looks like someone was backing out of a space opposite yours and back into you.

On the plus side of things... it looks like they only damaged the black cover on the bumper and nothing above that. A new piece has to be painted while it is off the car ... which means your dealer can likely order a replacement, paint it, let it cure, and then call you when they are ready to install it (just swapping yours) and it will be absolutely perfect again.
No assigned spots unfortunately. That piece also includes two rear sensors, and I'm guessing at least one of those will need replaced along with it.

Ixoye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB FE Mach e, ‘16 fusion energi, ‘14 Focus EV
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E A first? Hit and Run!!!! IMG_0541
Ford needs to hurry and release it's version of "Sentry" mode. Sorry for the damage, what a bummer.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Man that sucks....however, if residents only there is a vehicle in that garage with damage to it. We keep our RV in storage and it was hit. Left streaks of black paint. Looked around and found a utility trailer with damage and deep scratches on the black paint. Luckily there are functioning cameras and those verified the culprit. HE actually got in some deep crap with police cause camera showed him getting out and looking at the damage. He did not leave a note or anything. So he fixed my RV and also had charges of hit and run against him. Not sure what the fine is for that.
Sponsored