A full month with my first EV

Thunderbirdsoundsbetter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME P ER
Country flag
It’s been a full month with my MME Prem ER and drove 3900 miles already.

drives and feels great. I’m surprised most people don’t even know what it is. The questions I get the most are “what brand is that?” and “that’s a mustang? They made a electric one?”

Things that put a smile on my face,
-acceleration torque is crazy. I do 0-60 pulls any chance I get. Puts a smile on my face every time, but wife hates it lol
-home charging costs, beats $4 a gallon. I got the clippercreek 60amp charger at home and it does the job. Avg 30 miles an hour. From 30% to 100 in about 8 hours.
-doesn’t need to break in or warm up
-maintenance costs being low
-when the tech works, such as paak, it feels like the future is here.

things that annoy me so far (it’s a lot)

-max speed being 113mph. This needs to be at least 125.
-the frunk is useless. It gets so dirty by the dust and pollen I can’t put anything in there without getting a coating of dust on it. Would be great for a cover of some sort.
-the automatic braking system is weird. It keeps turning on at 2mph. Soooo annoying when the big red box comes up. maybe it’s just my car that does this.
-the rear view camera is horrible. It lags. The front is perfectly smooth, but the rear is choppy and slow when the vehicle moves. Probably an update is needed?
-my driver seat is nice and plush but coming from a rs5 it seems a little too plush and I keep tending to lean left for some reason.
-I got my whole car tinted 70% windshield and fronts with limo backs and boy does it still heat up. Maybe it’s the black interior?
-the right vent next to the steering wheel is too close to my fingers. I understand because of the big screen they didn’t have room to put it elsewhere. I can’t seem to move the vent much and the ac blasting on my fingers constantly gets my fingers numb.
-the small display sometimes doesn’t turn off for minutes. I can’t tell how fast I’m going because of this. But will auto correct itself as time goes.
-paak sucks. I hate it. It works 50% of the time. I feel like an idiot when I’m standing outside with my phone on app on, and the door won’t open. Press the circle ten times and nothing. Have to use the number key to open the door. Then when I get in, the car doesn’t start because obviously there’s no key detected LOL. Sometimes I get in the car no problem, then it says no key found. I find myself yelling at the car “you let me in fine, you hajdihfneks$&!?”
-paak doesn’t let me use the functions like roll down the windows and stuff. It keeps saying try again 6/10 times I try.
-paak I can’t let anyone else drive the car. Example parents family members and etc because the phone is the key. I have to hand over my phone or password which I refuse to do.
-when going over 100mph my charging port opens. I don’t know why but it’s been happening recently and I hate it. Have to pull over to close it. I guess this is a analog way to keep you from speeding? Or maybe just my vehicle.
-AirPods and wireless CarPlay do not work well with paak. If I have AirPods on paak doesn’t work at all. If the wireless CarPlay connects before I turn on my car, the car won’t recognize the paak thus won’t start. I have to shutoff then open the door wait five seconds close the door then turn it back on to get it working again. Physical key would fix this in a heartbeat. (I gave my physical key to my wife as she refuses to download the app)
-wireless charging is slow. My iPhone 12 keeps disconnecting from wireless charging constantly after about 10 mins. I now just use a usb to charge. (If you use wireless CarPlay and a wire to charge, I noticed you need to let the wireless connect first the plug in or the sound doesn’t come out through the speakers and only through the phone)
-the glass roof needs a mesh/dark screen like the Audi has that can retract. I need my daughter to stay asleep in the back without sunlight hitting her face and waking her up lol
-the steering wheel is spongy. The pleather feel is not premium. The stitching on my steering wheel is already starting to peel. Nothing premium about this. Also there’s a hole in the passenger side of the footwell where I can see all the wires and other stuff. It looks like someone didn’t cut the carpet correctly.
-there needs a “OFF” button for the ac on the main screen. It’s really frustrating that I have to open a separate window to shut it off. Maybe a customizable main screen would work wonders.
-would be great if the speedometer screen also showed other info like music playing, CarPlay info and etc.
-the pillar with the seatbelt seems a little wider than normal. I can’t see the blind spot turning my head around. I keep having to put my head out to see. Maybe that’s just me.
-I installed the rain deflectors for the doors. They are not engineered for this car. The front doesn’t fit into the window to secure it so a piece at the front sticks out which causes the whole piece to bend. The 3m tape also rips off easily so it needs to be secured with more double sided tape or it will fly off with the acceleration.
-no one at the dealer knows anything about this car. Every time I ask something it’s uhhhhhhh. So the only place to ask anything is the forums

even with all the annoying things about the car I believe it’s a learning curve. It’s still a great vehicle when everything works or at least most of it.

honestly this feels like the future. Great car. They should have named this the thunderbird.

Love the car. I hope to have it until the extended warranty runs out which is 100k miles. Will def get another one after this one.
Sponsored

Tamadrummer88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Camry XLE Hybrid
Country flag

drives and feels great. I’m surprised most people don’t even know what it is. The questions I get the most are “what brand is that?” and “that’s a mustang? They made a electric one?”

-acceleration torque is crazy. I do 0-60 pulls any chance I get. Puts a smile on my face every time, but wife hates it lol
-home charging costs, beats $4 a gallon. I got the clippercreek 60amp charger at home and it does the job. Avg 30 miles an hour. From 30% to 100 in about 8 hours.

-the frunk is useless. It gets so dirty by the dust and pollen I can’t put anything in there without getting a coating of dust on it. Would be great for a cover of some sort.
-the automatic braking system is weird. It keeps turning on at 2mph. Soooo annoying when the big red box comes up. maybe it’s just my car that does this.
-the rear view camera is horrible. It lags. The front is perfectly smooth, but the rear is choppy and slow when the vehicle moves. Probably an update is needed?
-my driver seat is nice and plush but coming from a rs5 it seems a little too plush and I keep tending to lean left for some reason.
-I got my whole car tinted 70% windshield and fronts with limo backs and boy does it still heat up. Maybe it’s the black interior?
-the right vent next to the steering wheel is too close to my fingers. I understand because of the big screen they didn’t have room to put it elsewhere. I can’t seem to move the vent much and the ac blasting on my fingers constantly gets my fingers numb.
-the small display sometimes doesn’t turn off for minutes. I can’t tell how fast I’m going because of this. But will auto correct itself as time goes.
-paak sucks. I hate it. It works 50% of the time. I feel like an idiot when I’m standing outside with my phone on app on, and the door won’t open. Press the circle ten times and nothing. Have to use the number key to open the door. Then when I get in, the car doesn’t start because obviously there’s no key detected LOL. Sometimes I get in the car no problem, then it says no key found. I find myself yelling at the car “you let me in fine, you hajdihfneks$&!?”
-paak doesn’t let me use the functions like roll down the windows and stuff. It keeps saying try again 6/10 times I try.
-paak I can’t let anyone else drive the car. Example parents family members and etc because the phone is the key. I have to hand over my phone or password which I refuse to do.
-when going over 100mph my charging port opens. I don’t know why but it’s been happening recently and I hate it. Have to pull over to close it. I guess this is a analog way to keep you from speeding? Or maybe just my vehicle.
-AirPods and wireless CarPlay do not work well with paak. If I have AirPods on paak doesn’t work at all. If the wireless CarPlay connects before I turn on my car, the car won’t recognize the paak thus won’t start. I have to shutoff then open the door wait five seconds close the door then turn it back on to get it working again. Physical key would fix this in a heartbeat. (I gave my physical key to my wife as she refuses to download the app)
-wireless charging is slow. My iPhone 12 keeps disconnecting from wireless charging constantly after about 10 mins. I now just use a usb to charge. (If you use wireless CarPlay and a wire to charge, I noticed you need to let the wireless connect first the plug in or the sound doesn’t come out through the speakers and only through the phone)
-the glass roof needs a mesh/dark screen like the Audi has that can retract. I need my daughter to stay asleep in the back without sunlight hitting her face and waking her up lol
-the steering wheel is spongy. The pleather feel is not premium. The stitching on my steering wheel is already starting to peel. Nothing premium about this. Also there’s a hole in the passenger side of the footwell where I can see all the wires and other stuff. It looks like someone didn’t cut the carpet correctly.
-there needs a “OFF” button for the ac on the main screen. It’s really frustrating that I have to open a separate window to shut it off. Maybe a customizable main screen would work wonders.
-would be great if the speedometer screen also showed other info like music playing, CarPlay info and etc.
-the pillar with the seatbelt seems a little wider than normal. I can’t see the blind spot turning my head around. I keep having to put my head out to see. Maybe that’s just me.
-I installed the rain deflectors for the doors. They are not engineered for this car. The front doesn’t fit into the window to secure it so a piece at the front sticks out which causes the whole piece to bend. The 3m tape also rips off easily so it needs to be secured with more double sided tape or it will fly off with the acceleration.
-no one at the dealer knows anything about this car. Every time I ask something it’s uhhhhhhh. So the only place to ask anything is the forums

even with all the annoying things about the car I believe it’s a learning curve. It’s still a great vehicle when everything works or at least most of it.

honestly this feels like the future. Great car. They should have named this the thunderbird.

Love the car. I hope to have it until the extended warranty runs out which is 100k miles. Will def get another one after this one.
the only question I have out of all this is why are you constantly driving over 100mph? That completely defeats the purpose of an EV.

OP
OP

Thunderbirdsoundsbetter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME P ER
Country flag
the only question I have out of all this is why are you constantly driving over 100mph? That completely defeats the purpose of an EV.
I drive it like it stole it. And it’s fun. But only when the highway is empty most of the time.
Why would going fast on a ev defeat the purpose of a ev? I thought I bought a mustang and not volt?

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I drive it like it stole it. And it’s fun. But only when the highway is empty most of the time.
Why would going fast on a ev defeat the purpose of a ev? I thought I bought a mustang and not volt?
Some people feel that the only logical reason to have an EV is to save the planet Therefore they can’t comprehend that someone else might like the tech, or the power delivery, or any of the dozens of other reasons.., ?‍♂

kirkus02

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e, Explorer, Silverado
Country flag
Does the charging port open every time you go over 100?

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I’ve had the charging door pop open twice - once driving in a parking lot (well under 100!) and once on the highway at, probably, 80 mph.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
That's weird. Mine stays air tight when closed. The area all around the actual frunk is dirty, but inside the actual compartment where cargo would go is still nice and clean. Every time I've gone on a small trip I put my bag in there and haven't had any dust issues.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
That's weird. Mine stays air tight when closed. The area all around the actual frunk is dirty, but inside the actual compartment where cargo would go is still nice and clean. Every time I've gone on a small trip I put my bag in there and haven't had any dust issues.
I’ve actually noticed the same thing as OP. Lots of pollen right now and I do see some make its way in there. Also after a car wash, you can tell some water gets in there from the dried streaks of water.

JB20

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Country flag
Did you do the ceramic tint or just regular tint?

bludzeph

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Job1 2021 Premium XR AWD Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There is a wheel to the right to control air flow. Mostly idden behind video screen.

e-pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD Extended Star White
Country flag

My only question: What is a “hajdihfneks$&!?”?
Seriously, an insightful, clear report. I hope Ford reads ur report, as i am still awaiting a build date. ? Software fixes shoukd help somewhat. A second fob would help. The peeling of the stitching is very disappointing. Esp. For those willing to put out more $$ for an external wrap. Popping charging covers and other physical issues make me want to wait two years to buy-but the ev discount is hard to pass up.
Sponsored