Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Habits die hard. I have always driven with my hands at about the 45 degree and the 315 degree positions on the steering wheel. I think they taught us to do that many moons ago in drivers education in high school. Anyway, Ford placed the speedometer where the view of it is blocked by my right hand if I am driving straight down the highway. I have to tilt my head to see it and the displayed speed limit. I would much rather have these two readings right in the middle of the drivers display and little car representing driver assistance on the right side of the drivers display. I wish Ford would give the ability to set up the drivers display the way we wanted. All it would take is a software update. Are you listening Ford?
Sponsored

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Yeah that’s certainly something that can be changed vial software. McLaren’s system let’s the NASCAR guys do all sorts of interesting things with the display in the Cup cars. Holley’s digital dash also has a lot of customization available.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
If the steering wheel airbag goes off with your hands in that position it can break your arms.
Try to get used to placing your hands at 135 and 225.
Interesting angles, may want to fix the typo lol ;). Joking aside agree that the 2 and 10 has long been replaced by 3 and 9 as the recommend position. Of course people can hold it where they want in my book as long as they don't crash into me while doing so :)

kirkus02

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e, Explorer, Silverado
Country flag
If the steering wheel airbag goes off with your hands in that position it can break your arms.
Try to get used to placing your hands at 135 and 225.
I second the 135 and 225!

Is it just my MME or does it seem like the adaptive cruise control can't sense your hands on the wheel when they are at 135 and 225?

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I second the 135 and 225!

Is it just my MME or does it seem like the adaptive cruise control can't sense your hands on the wheel when they are at 135 and 225?
Adaptive cruise control senses your hands by the force it has to overcome to turn the steering wheel. It should not matter where your hands are. There are no sensors in the steering wheel.

kirkus02

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e, Explorer, Silverado
Country flag
Adaptive cruise control senses your hands by the force it has to overcome to turn the steering wheel. It should not matter where your hands are. There are no sensors in the steering wheel.

ah! that makes more sense. thanks! just to say it...my hands are definitely on the wheel...lol. :)

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
So, we aren’t supposed to use “10 and 2” any more, it sounds like there’s a debate between “9 and 3” or “4 and 8”?
BlueCruise can’t come soon enough ?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
So, we aren’t supposed to use “10 and 2” any more, it sounds like there’s a debate between “9 and 3” or “4 and 8”?
BlueCruise can’t come soon enough ?
Steering wheels have had the notches for your thumbs at 3 & 9 for ages :). While I suspect all blue cruise is going to do is replace where you hands are supposed to be with debates over the angle of your head and the region you eyes need to look in relation to the sensors ?

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
Yeah that’s certainly something that can be changed vial software. McLaren’s system let’s the NASCAR guys do all sorts of interesting things with the display in the Cup cars. Holley’s digital dash also has a lot of customization available.
I would like more customizability with the dashboard display (such as the ability to select any of the three current layouts independently from your drive mode) but if you are expecting anything along the lines of what you're referring to you are out of your mind, that ain't happening

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
Habits die hard. I have always driven with my hands at about the 45 degree and the 315 degree positions on the steering wheel. I think they taught us to do that many moons ago in drivers education in high school. Anyway, Ford placed the speedometer where the view of it is blocked by my right hand if I am driving straight down the highway. I have to tilt my head to see it and the displayed speed limit. I would much rather have these two readings right in the middle of the drivers display and little car representing driver assistance on the right side of the drivers display. I wish Ford would give the ability to set up the drivers display the way we wanted. All it would take is a software update. Are you listening Ford?

In the meantime just turn off the lane centering with the physical button on the left hand side of the steering wheel. This will get rid of the vehicle from the center of the display, and will move the speedometer to the center of the screen.

I had the same gripe, and doing this helps tremendously with speed visibility. Ford really should make this stuff configurable in a future OTA though.

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
Never been able to get used to driving with 2 hands on the wheel

I'm a one hand driver most of the time

MParkour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 RR Mustang GT 2017 Tacoma 2021 RR MME FE
Country flag
In the meantime just turn off the lane centering with the physical button on the left hand side of the steering wheel. This will get rid of the vehicle from the center of the display, and will move the speedometer to the center of the screen.

I had the same gripe, and doing this helps tremendously with speed visibility. Ford really should make this stuff configurable in a future OTA though.
Turning off the lane centering doesnt put the speedometer back in the middle...

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
Turning off the lane centering doesnt put the speedometer back in the middle...
It does, but you may also have the vehicle distance indicator turned on. Turn that off in the settings, and also make sure that you are not in Cruise control mode. The button for that is also on the steering wheel, click it to see what mode your in, it will say on or off as you toggle it.

If all of that is turned off, then when you turn off lane centering it does get rid of the car pic and moves the speed to the center of the display.

I know this because I had the same concerns and after a little digging of my own I was able to figure it out.

If your still having issues with this, I'll post a vid for you showing this on my car sometime tomorrow morning.
Sponsored