A lot of information on Mach-E

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
Are these what are called "puddle lights"?
Do they project the Ford logo on he ground or something?
Mine don't project anything special. Just a downfacing light on the mirrors that lights up when you unlock the car. Safety feature to see where you are stepping and to make sure there isn't someone like hiding or something.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My Taurus SHO does the shut off thing. I run into often because I'll take a nap sometimes in my car over lunch or when waiting. It dings at you and you have to acknowledge it in 30 seconds after it hits that mark or it shuts off.

And it also does the honk at you thing. I get the point of it .. but it annoying when i get out to check my mail and my car starts honking late at night lol
Our 2012 Escapes do something similarly annoying. When turning the car on to accessory mode (not actually running) in order to kill time listening to the radio, it goes into "battery-saver" mode). Which means it only gives you 3-4 minutes of accessory mode before automatically shutting down. I HATE that. You can't even sit in the car to listen to the radio for more than a couple of minutes. And I've found no way to override it. Even if you try to fool it by starting the engine for a few seconds then turning it off, it seems to adjust the subsequent timer to only give you maybe 30 seconds.

Love out Escapes in general, but "battery-saver" mode is probably my biggest peeve.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Yeah, wonderful article. I've bookmarked it to refer back to it several times. This older post unceremoniously copied the whole article (not cool!), but we have some discussion about it, if you want to check that out.

The original Jalopnik article also includes an excellent video interview.

OP
OP
Sweetwater

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Does the Mach E keep the doors locked while you are sitting in it ? Since the phone is in the car
will it let someone touch the open button and pop the door ? Jeep Wrangler has a fob pouch
to stop this as people camp in their Wranglers. What keeps us safe ?

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
Does the Mach E keep the doors locked while you are sitting in it ? Since the phone is in the car
will it let someone touch the open button and pop the door ? Jeep Wrangler has a fob pouch
to stop this as people camp in their Wranglers. What keeps us safe ?
That big dog you have! ;)

Seriously though, I don't think we know. I'm assuming it will be similar to Ford's current keyless entry system. Just instead of a Fob, you have a phone. And it can tell whether it is in the car or outside the car and allow the door to be opened based on that information.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I'm assuming it will be similar to Ford's current keyless entry system. Just instead of a Fob, you have a phone. And it can tell whether it is in the car or outside the car and allow the door to be opened based on that information.
From what I heard at the Washington Auto Show there are three mechanisms for entry:
1) Phone
2) Fob
3) Combination lock on the door

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
From what I heard at the Washington Auto Show there are three mechanisms for entry:
1) Phone
2) Fob
That's correct. I was addressing the concern about being able to open the door from the outside, while the car is locked and you have the phone inside the car.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
That's correct. I was addressing the concern about being able to open the door from the outside, while the car is locked and you have the phone inside the car.
I may be mistaken, though I'm pretty sure this is how it works on a lot of vehicles with smart keys.

If you lock the car from the inside (using the lock/unlock buttons on the door) while a key is present (ie - your main key fob) it will not unlock from the outside while that key is present (thus the only means of unlocking is from the inside). Most will unlock with a second FOB that wasn't present when you locked the car. Basically it knows which FOB was present when you locked from the inside, and kind of "blacklists" that FOB from unlocking, if that makes any sense.

I could be completely wrong here, but I know certain vehicles do this. I have coworkers who leave a FOB in the car during the day, locking it with the other FOB as they walk away. The car then won't unlock using the FOB inside the car.

I'd assume Ford will do something similar, though I'm not sure how that'd play out with phone-as-a-key. Maybe a setting or something to stop it from using PAAK without having to unpair your phone. Or just using the same logic that if you lock the vehicle from the inside (using lock/unlock button) it blocks the currently visible PAAK from unlocking it from the outside.

OP
OP
Sweetwater

Sweetwater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Country flag
Still a bit confusing. I do like Wrangler key fob as all you do
is touch the door handle. This is simple and works well.
Why do they want to make it difficult for many. I also read
somewhere the MME has a key pad on door pillar to use
if phone goes dead. GEEEEE to much stuff to get in and
drive.

pbojanoski

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
Many phones have NFC option for Apple Pay, Google Pay, etc. or using with tags to automatically set phone functions. That would be an easy an effective option for unlocking a car door.

srogers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Mach E, Premium, 2021
Country flag
Still a bit confusing. I do like Wrangler key fob as all you do
is touch the door handle. This is simple and works well.
Why do they want to make it difficult for many. I also read
somewhere the MME has a key pad on door pillar to use
if phone goes dead. GEEEEE to much stuff to get in and
drive.
I am looking forward to getting rid of the key fob in my pocket. Lincoln offers phone-as-a-key in some of their cars. Here is a video that explains how it works.

jksu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium STD RWD Shadow Black
Country flag
phone as credit card, phone as key, phone as driver's license....just need phone as chapstick and i'm all set

Lukas

Administrator
First Name
Lukas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstek
Occupation
Actuary
Country flag
1) Phone
2) Fob
Won't you be able to use the FordPass Connect app to remote lock/unlock and start the Mach-E too?
Sponsored