A Mach-E and 2 Lightning’s walk into a bar..

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
Really great picture - thanks for sharing!

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Random thought - I wonder if the Mach-E would be able to charge from the Lightning while the Lightning itself charged from the grid, if there weren’t enough chargers available.

KlueBat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E AWD Premium, 2021 Mustang GT
Country flag
Random thought - I wonder if the Mach-E would be able to charge from the Lightning while the Lightning itself charged from the grid, if there weren’t enough chargers available.
You probably could as long as

1) The 240V plug in the back of the Lightning has enough capacity to power the Mach E's portable charger

and

2) The Lightning will allow the inverter to run while it is also charging

Since the Lightning is still in pre production, I'm not sure if either of these are yet known. I'm sure that someone will link a source though if they are.

Keep in mind that even if it would work, there will still be some major inefficiency involved and it might not really be any faster than if you just charged one and then the other.

Would certainly be a fun test once the media starts getting test trucks though, even if it would be very impractical.

Reactions: ARK

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag

1) The 240V plug in the back of the Lightning has enough capacity to power the Mach E's portable charger

and

Since the Lightning is still in pre production, I'm not sure if either of these are yet known. I'm sure that someone will link a source though if they are.

Keep in mind that even if it would work, there will still be some major inefficiency involved and it might not really be any faster than if you just charged one and then the other.

Would certainly be a fun test once the media starts getting test trucks though, even if it would be very impractical.
Good points. Lightning can L2 charge at up to 80amps, so perhaps it might be feasible if it was a L2 charger capable of putting out a high number of amps (e.g., 48-80), and Mach-E was drawing only something like 32 amps, so that both vehicles could still net gain a charge if this were going on.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Dimwit could always take out his mobile charger and find out for us.

OP
OP
JoeDimwit

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Dimwit could always take out his mobile charger and find out for us.
There is precisely zero chance in hell that I’m touching one of those trucks… I like getting weekly paychecks too much.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Good points. Lightning can L2 charge at up to 80amps, so perhaps it might be feasible if it was a L2 charger capable of putting out a high number of amps (e.g., 48-80), and Mach-E was drawing only something like 32 amps, so that both vehicles could still net gain a charge if this were going on.
The Pro Power has a 30A outlet (L14-30) just like a generator, so you'd be limited to 24A charging or 5.8 kW. You'd need a 24A EVSE with the proper twist lock adapter, but it should work in theory. The Ford Mobile Charger won't work because it will draw too much power (32A/7.7 kW) through the outlet.

The 7.2 kW max output comes from using multiple outlets at the same time throughout the truck.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I can’t wait for ford to put a tow strap on a cyber truck and crag it all over the Mojave with one of those ???

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

and

It’s already been confirmed that the Lightning will allow the inverter to run while it is charging.

Video was posted here a while back off an F-150 hybrid charging a MME off its Pro Power system.

KlueBat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E AWD Premium, 2021 Mustang GT
Country flag
It’s already been confirmed that the Lightning will allow the inverter to run while it is charging.

Video was posted here a while back off an F-150 hybrid charging a MME off its Pro Power system.
Oh, cool! So now we need some test vehicles to see how much faster or slower it would be to daisy chain chargers vs just charging the vehicles separately.

Last edited:

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Well that pic all but confirms one of those wouldn’t fit in my garage. Still would like an EV truck though

OP
OP
JoeDimwit

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Well that pic all but confirms one of those wouldn’t fit in my garage. Still would like an EV truck though
Could you bump out the back of the garage a bit?

Alternatively, you could notch the garage door… ?
Sponsored