A new low. Cold weather round trip, 1.55 mi/kWh, Range of 138 Miles, Premium ER AWD.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I hit a new low last night with a 79 mile trip out to dinner. -2 to 3F, an average speed of 45 MPH, 3 people, dry salted roads. We started with 80% battery, not preconditioned, cold interior, returned home with 23% battery.

39.2 miles to and from. So, 0.57*88=50.2 kWh to drive 78.4 miles is 1.56 mi/kWh or an overall range of 138 miles, premium AWD ER. Overall range loss of 51% in these conditions. Heat on Auto 72, 2 seats and wheel. Cruise used.

Car reported 1.55 (1.2 to and 1.9 return) meaning reporting error was minimal. Also the travel time shown on the final screen screen is wrong. IDK what went wrong with Trips. We did not drive 70 MPH. For a strange reason the miles of the “trip” did not reset coming back and were spot on at 78.4 for the round trip. The time is about right and return Mi/kWh.

I think I could assume if I preheated we would have done 1.9 mi/kWh each way, a much better outcome, 167 miles range.

With an SR, that’s a range of 105 miles.

Even funnier, look at my EV driving data from FordPass, I just found it recorded. 2.1 on the way there (1.2 actual) and the return with double the miles, 2.4 (1.9 actual)., 100% incorrect and attached below. I will have to say this data is useless.

8280993A-205D-4CB0-95DC-8479A89CCD3D.jpeg

CAF9F6ED-D46C-457B-9322-324A4B1FD0D5.jpeg

3CEBFD0D-880B-4255-9896-5F90A7A48812.png

F93E3B41-6363-464C-82FE-BF0488002D3D.jpeg

04E896CC-FE8C-47F2-B6D4-81D6F668E4C2.png

BFE947CA-B911-42CB-A2F1-F42A26719BC2.png

18EFBA7D-2620-4CB8-86C7-5ACFFBF1F43B.png

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
It's pretty amazing that this far into the launch of this vehicle one cannot rely on a simple thing like the Trip odometer...

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
It's pretty amazing that this far into the launch of this vehicle one cannot rely on a simple thing like the Trip odometer...
I guess we will have to rely on the old Odometer, which cannot be off by law.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's really pretty sad not being able to trust the technology in the vehicle to report accurately. We now fill out trip sheets when we travel (not for regular local driving) on each leg and include both the information that the car gives us in the trip info as well as what the charger gives us, etc. Even then, I find myself distrusting too much of the data.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Those living in the rural areas with zero or very few dcfc chargers are going to wait before obtaining a bev.
Only if they drive a considerable distance each day. For local driving, with a home level 2 charger, there is no issue.

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Those living in the rural areas with zero or very few dcfc chargers are going to wait before obtaining a bev.
Yup. I live in a rural area with the closest 50 kW DCFC 110 miles South. If I want 150 kW that’s 200 miles South. Very limited Level 2 while away as well, in Bangor, which is my closest major city with shopping and dining (where we were last night). There are 2 free level 2s at a conv. Center that have not worked for 2 years, no conventions I guess so I can plug into 110v.

I upgraded to the ER mainly because the SR had me worried. I am so glad I did. I have been begging the governor since ‘19 to invest in DCFC. Nothing new since 2019, except in her home town in a very rural area where no one Owns or drives EVs. I am sure there are a few now.

The future is a little brighter with 6 new 50 kW DCFC between me and the one 110 miles away. It would have been so much better for 100-300 kWh units.

If it was not for free level 2 at work, I would not be a 100% BEV family, especially with the recent 33% increase to our Electricity, which is now $0.24/kWh.

The only good about it is you can walk into a dealer in Maine and drive a Mach E Premium AWD ER or a Select AWD home the same day, without a wait. They are in stock because folks understand there is no infrastructure. A buddy walked into a Bangor Hyundai dealer last week and drove home a new Ioniq 5 AWD in stock! Amazing, for us, but still kind of sad. The Ford dealer in Bangor has had 2 new 21 space Gray Mach E select RWD’s in stock for 5 months! He can’t get rid of them.

S.B.

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Living in rural PA, I agree that interest in BEV’s is not great in my region. It is sometimes frustrating to me not having the infrastructure in place to take my Mach E on my usual day trips in the winter months. Though I am realistic about that right now, I tend to be optimistic and I just know it’s coming though! ? I too was surprised, however, that my dealer had their Mach E’s for so long. They did finally sell them to someone out of the area shortly after posting about their availability on this forum.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
Unfortunately if the battery has the typical 10-20% degradation in 2 years you might be too tight in terms of range unless the improve they charging network.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Unfortunately if the battery has the typical 10-20% degradation in 2 years you might be too tight in terms of range unless the improve they charging network.
What? 10-20% in 2 years Bah! nope, not in my experience.

Both my prior BEVs still had full range available when I turned them in at the end of the lease. Yes the first didn't have DCFC capability (Focus Electric), and the 2nd (Bolt) only DCFC'd once just to make sure it worked. Thus, yes, I was "gentle" on both batteries only Level-2'ing them.

I typically will put a little over 1000 miles a month on them.

hitchhiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e 4x, 1965 F-100, 1999 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Turn the climate control down a few degrees and you will fare much better. That's almost a third of your usage!

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Just pre-conditioin. I just started a trip today (about a 4.5 hour drive) at 10°F ... car is getting about 2.4 mi/kWh. BUT... I DID pre-condition. Preconditioning in cold temps is a big deal. Do it whenever you can.

The feature we lack (and I REALLY wish we had it because it would eliminate a lot of these fears) is an ad-hoc pre-condition button. Having to create what basically amounts to a recurring scheduled departure event that you only plan to use one time ... and then have to go back and delete it ... is a hassle.

While they're at it ... add in an ad-hoc state of charge to go along with the ad-hoc departure/pre-condition.

e.g. this morning I needed to do this trip and wanted a 100% state of charge because the trip will still require one charging stop. I planned to depart at 8am ... but just today ... no other day and no other sunday. So I'd love to be able to have an ad-hoc departure in FordPass ... push it and have it ask what time (either ASAP or enter a time) and a state of charge (either default SoC or override it).

I had to do a 16 mile (1-way) trip yesterday afternoon and did NOT precondition the car. Temps were 19°F. The car only got about 1.4 mi/kWh. It gradually started to improve as the car warmed up.

So... 2.4 mi/kWh in 10°F WITH preconditions vs. 1.4 in 19°F WITHOUT pre-conditioning. I'd say pre-conditioning is a big deal.

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Where are you getting this info from? From my understanding, the batteries in EV’s are much different than the typical lithium ion batteries in consumer electronics which may indeed experience 10%+ degradation in a year. Aren’t the lithium ion batteries in EV’s built differently so they can withstand many more charge cycles? And they’re also buffered.

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Turn the climate control down a few degrees and you will fare much better. That's almost a third of your usage!
If the data is correct, maybe. I know that the data my car shows for energy use and trips is wildly inaccurate - so bad that it is indeed useless. Even if it were accurate, however, we shouldn’t have to drive without using the climate controls as we see fit. This isn’t a cheapo economy car built solely to get you from point a to point b. Keeping the cabin at the temperature of our choosing shouldn’t dramatically affect the vehicle’s usability.

chrisGT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-e GT
Country flag
Where are you getting this info from? From my understanding, the batteries in EV’s are much different than the typical lithium ion batteries in consumer electronics which may indeed experience 10%+ degradation in a year. Aren’t the lithium ion batteries in EV’s built differently so they can withstand many more charge cycles? And they’re also buffered.
I am getting it from my experience with other EVs and the experience of my friends and colleagues that also own a lot of them. It also depends on how often you charge above 90%, how many times you let you let it go near empty or you DC charge at road trips.
Most manufacturers will replace the battery under warranty if it has degraded more than 30% in first few years. Up to 30% is considered normal wear.
Sponsored