Malacandra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium RWD ER, DMG
Occupation
Web Development Director
Country flag
People frequently post about bad dealership experiences - and rightfully so - but I had a really good dealership experience that I thought was worth sharing.

I had seen good Yelp reviews about Walnut Creek Ford in the East Bay, significantly better than for any of the Ford dealers closer to where I live, and since I regularly visit the East Bay I went there to take a test drive.

I dropped by on a Sunday without an appointment and they told me that there would be a Mach-E that would be available for testing in about an hour. No problem: I took a walk downtown and when I returned they handed me the fob and established that I knew enough about the features of the car to drive it for a bit. Of course, the car sold itself on that test drive: now I really, really wanted one.

Before I placed my order online with them in early October (for a Rapid Red Premium RWD ER with black interior), I got written confirmation by email from their Internet Sales Manager about my concerns: he confirmed that they accepted X-Plan pricing (Mustang Club of America member > 90 days), offered Ford Options financing (with that sweet $2500 incentive), and that I wouldn’t have any unpleasant surprises in the form of additional items tacked on to my car… like the notorious “locking lug nuts”, or “anti-theft etching”, “undercoat protection”, or the like. They said I’d be offered extended warrantee and maintenance plans, but that’s it: nothing where “That’s already been installed, so take it or leave it…”

Also: all the Mach-Es on their website are listed at MSRP. No ADM.

As the months dragged on and my order with them remained in “Scheduled for Production” limbo (it still doesn’t have a build date or VIN), I’d occasionally see a car show up on their website that looked similar enough to mine that I was tempted to call to see if the buyer fell through. I once called a different dealer who said that while they’d offer X-Plan pricing for an order I placed… they wouldn’t even offer MSRP for something on their lot.

When I saw a clone of the exact car I had ordered on the Walnut Creek Ford website, I rang them up and was told that it was a special order that was being claimed… but they’d give me a call if something similar became available.

I thought, “Yeah, that’ll never happen…” Like, really, they have a list of people who already placed orders from them, to see if any available cars are a match against what they ordered?

But then it happened. Twice.

The first time, about a week and a half after I had called them, they had a Rapid Red Premium AWD ER with a light grey interior, and I considered it seriously. But I had already decided that I didn’t have a need for AWD, and that my dogs and a lighter interior would be a bad fit. So I very, VERY regretfully declined.

Later that same day (while I was still second-guessing my decision) they called AGAIN: a Dark Matter Grey Premium RWD ER with black interior wasn’t being claimed by the person who ordered it. I liked the Rapid Red, but wasn’t married to it. Me: “X-Plan pricing?” Them: “Sure” Me: “I won’t be able to get down there for a couple of days… do you need a credit card to hold it for me?” Them: “No. If you can be here on Saturday, it’s yours, if you want it.”

And now it’s mine. Frankly, the Dark Matter Gray paint looks a whole lot better in person than it did online, and I’m really pleased with the whole package.

And, yes… they did offer me maintenance and extended warrantee coverage, but it wasn’t at all a hard sell. I’ve been through car purchases where they try to bully or intimidate you into buying whatever they’re selling. There was none of that adversarial process. Offers were made, and declined, and that was that. The lady was actually… nice. Everyone was. I dealt with three different sales people by email or over the phone and they were all helpful, friendly, and accommodating.

I’m sure I sound like a shill, but I assure you that I’m not: I have no association with this dealer apart from being a satisfied customer.

Ford Mustang Mach-E A Positive Dealership Experience at Walnut Creek Ford Front
Sponsored

Last edited:

dwee415

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber blue Mach E GT non-performance
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Really considering them right now actually.
Are you looking to order online through them or buy off the lot? The 2 dealerships in the area that charge MSRP that I know of are Walnut Creek Ford and Morgan Hill Ford. If you're ordering online, it doesn't really matter where you deliver the car. If you're buying off the lot, go to Walnut Creek or Morgan Hill.

OP
OP
Malacandra

Malacandra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Web Development Director
Country flag
Are you looking to order online through them or buy off the lot? The 2 dealerships in the area that charge MSRP that I know of are Walnut Creek Ford and Morgan Hill Ford. If you're ordering online, it doesn't really matter where you deliver the car. If you're buying off the lot, go to Walnut Creek or Morgan Hill.
I think it does matter who you have the car delivered to. It's always best to know that you're dealing with folks who aren't trying to squeeze you, because some dealers will add ADM to an online order when they accept it.

And I've read stories about disreputable dealers adding markup to ordered cars once they've hit the lot and telling folks who waited in excess of 6 months, "If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it…" because they expect to be able to sell it with the markup to someone else if the person who placed the order walks.

Avelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E91 6MT RWD, 22 MME GT
Country flag
Walnut Creek Ford has been awesome for me through the experience so far. I've had great conversations with them, and they've been on the up-and-up through all the trials and tribulations of the past several months. The sales person I spoke to stated (and I'm paraphrasing here) anyone can make a quick buck when the times are good, but doing so throws all goodwill out the window. They're stated to be thinking through now and the future (referrals, positive feedback, repeat business, etc).

Dafstang

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.aimdesign.com
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium E AWD/ / 2017 Mercedes GLE-43
Occupation
Product designer
Country flag
Walnut Creek Ford has been awesome for me through the experience so far. I've had great conversations with them, and they've been on the up-and-up through all the trials and tribulations of the past several months. The sales person I spoke to stated (and I'm paraphrasing here) anyone can make a quick buck when the times are good, but doing so throws all goodwill out the window. They're stated to be thinking through now and the future (referrals, positive feedback, repeat business, etc).
Another Great dealer in Norcal is Brentwood Ford. I have purchased my last three cars there, they honor every program no markup and overall great people.

Mawby

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1933 Ford Speedstar Roadster, 2021 Mache CA RT1
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
I think it does matter who you have the car delivered to. It's always best to know that you're dealing with folks who aren't trying to squeeze you, because some dealers will add ADM to an online order when they accept it.

And I've read stories about disreputable dealers adding markup to ordered cars once they've hit the lot and telling folks who waited in excess of 6 months, "If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it…" because they expect to be able to sell it with the markup to someone else if the person who placed the order walks.
Right or make it unreasonable. Higher financing rate, drilling a license plate when asked repeatedly not to, initially stating 1 fob only when after 7/7 all mme's get 2. No leverage other than after a refinance with another lender.

mb36

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Tribute
Occupation
HR
People frequently post about bad dealership experiences - and rightfully so - but I had a really good dealership experience that I thought was worth sharing.

I had seen good Yelp reviews about Walnut Creek Ford in the East Bay, significantly better than for any of the Ford dealers closer to where I live, and since I regularly visit the East Bay I went there to take a test drive.

I dropped by on a Sunday without an appointment and they told me that there would be a Mach-E that would be available for testing in about an hour. No problem: I took a walk downtown and when I returned they handed me the fob and established that I knew enough about the features of the car to drive it for a bit. Of course, the car sold itself on that test drive: now I really, really wanted one.

Before I placed my order online with them in early October (for a Rapid Red Premium RWD ER with black interior), I got written confirmation by email from their Internet Sales Manager about my concerns: he confirmed that they accepted X-Plan pricing (Mustang Club of America member > 90 days), offered Ford Options financing (with that sweet $2500 incentive), and that I wouldn’t have any unpleasant surprises in the form of additional items tacked on to my car… like the notorious “locking lug nuts”, or “anti-theft etching”, “undercoat protection”, or the like. They said I’d be offered extended warrantee and maintenance plans, but that’s it: nothing where “That’s already been installed, so take it or leave it…”

As the months dragged on and my order with them remained in “Scheduled for Production” limbo (it still doesn’t have a build date or VIN), I’d occasionally see a car show up on their website that looked similar enough to mine that I was tempted to call to see if the buyer fell through. I once called a different dealer who said that while they’d offer X-Plan pricing for an order I placed… they wouldn’t even offer MSRP for something on their lot.

When I saw a clone of the exact car I had ordered on the Walnut Creek Ford website, I rang them up and was told that it was a special order that was being claimed… but they’d give me a call if something similar became available.

I thought, “Yeah, that’ll never happen…” Like, really, they have a list of people who already placed orders from them, to see if any available cars are a match against what they ordered?

The first time, about a week and a half after I had called them, they had a Rapid Red Premium AWD ER with a light grey interior, and I considered it seriously. But I had already decided that I didn’t have a need for AWD, and that my dogs and a lighter interior would be a bad fit. So I very, VERY regretfully declined.

Later that same day (while I was still second-guessing my decision) they called AGAIN: a Dark Matter Grey Premium RWD ER with black interior wasn’t being claimed by the person who ordered it. I liked the Rapid Red, but wasn’t married to it. Me: “X-Plan pricing?” Them: “Sure” Me: “I won’t be able to get down there for a couple of days… do you need a credit card to hold it for me?” Them: “No. If you can be here on Saturday, it’s yours, if you want it.”

And now it’s mine. Frankly, the Dark Matter Gray paint looks a whole lot better in person than it did online, and I’m really pleased with the whole package.

And, yes… they did offer me maintenance and extended warrantee coverage, but it wasn’t at all a hard sell. I’ve been through car purchases where they try to bully or intimidate you into buying whatever they’re selling. There was none of that adversarial process. Offers were made, and declined, and that was that. The lady was actually… nice. Everyone was. I dealt with three different sales people by email or over the phone and they were all helpful, friendly, and accommodating.

I’m sure I sound like a shill, but I assure you that I’m not: I have no association with this dealer apart from being a satisfied customer.

Your mach e is beautiful1 Look at that shine! Thank you for writing about your experience. I was one of the unfortunate ones who didn't make in order in time before the order books closed, but because of your review, I contacted them to see what they can do for me. I'm crossing my fingers. I'm hoping I can get a Mach e CR 1.

Camille

First Name
Camille
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
retired
Country flag
We had the exact same experience with Walnut Creek Ford! Best buying experience ever! We sold my car, a Ford Escape, thinking we could just get a Mach e! Oh, so wrong! We actually called several dealers on the way home from selling my car, to see if we could come get one. They were all well over MSRP! Anywhere from $2500.00-$10,000!! We came across Walnut Creek Ford, confirmed the price was what they stated and placed our order! That was October 30, 2021. Well, being a si gle car family wasn't fun, so I called to ask if they ever have cars that aren't claimed. Short answer...YES! Our car would have been 28 weeks out, I believe. January 2022, I got a call that they had a car available. It didn't have AWD, which we wanted, wasn't the color I wanted, so we/I hesitantly denied. That was a Friday, I think. On Monday, I got a call, same color as the other one, Dark Matter Gray, Premium AWD, black interior. I wanted white, hubby was fine with anything but red or black! I said we would take it. We went to WC Ford that following Saturday, and got the car! The color is GORGEOUS! I love this car and the whole process was hassle free! The nicest people to work with and no pressure! I still don't have a build date on the one we ordered...lol! It is my car, but, I am retired and hubby has to drive 45 minutes each way to work, so guess who rarely gets to drive it? 🤣😉 I thi k our car payment is less than the gas was costing him per month, and that wasn't even at the highest gas prices! Definitely a win-win!! He loves this car as well!

Rickless

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD Space White
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
FWIW I had my roof and windshield recalls done at Walnut Creek Ford and the only problem I found was increased wind noise from the windshield, which they promptly diagnosed and fixed via TSB. I later went back in to get unstuck from 1.7.1 and have Blue Cruise installed (both successful). Eric in the Service Department was a tremendous help during the process and graciously put up with my questions/input/curiosities during each service appointment.

As I was waiting for them to finish, I spoke with a salesman and they reiterated that they only sell at MSRP; they would rather sell in volume than make a quick buck through ADM. Overall a great experience with an uncommonly competent Ford dealership. They even supply a complementary wash before returning your car!

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I have to have referred at least 5 people to Walnut Creek Ford at this point. Bought a Route 1 off the lot in March '21 from them at X-Plan pricing. Then ordered another in October 21 when I was there for my 10k service lol. It finally shipped a week or two ago and the sales manager confirmed they will honor the pre-price increase pricing and X-Plan. Honestly, the only unknown is how much they'll give me got my Polestar 2 I want to trade in.

Definitely the go to Ford dealer in the Bay.

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GTPE; 2022 MME Premium ER
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Congratulations on your new MME! I have exactly the same car, and I got it the same way, but from The Ford Store Morgan Hill.

Walnut Creek Ford and TFSMH are the only two dealers in NorCal that consistently get high marks and never charge ADM. Stellar experience buying from them!

I've bought several cars from TFSMH because it's closer to my home than Walnut Creek Ford. I have a GT on order there and they call me from time to time with unclaimed special orders. But since TFSMH has several sales shifts, unclaimed orders are first-come, first-served. You have to be ready to drive there at a moment's notice!

OP
OP
Malacandra

Malacandra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Web Development Director
Country flag
Congratulations on your new MME! I have exactly the same car, and I got it the same way, but from The Ford Store Morgan Hill.

Walnut Creek Ford and TFSMH are the only two dealers in NorCal that consistently get high marks and never charge ADM. Stellar experience buying from them!

I've bought several cars from TFSMH because it's closer to my home than Walnut Creek Ford. I have a GT on order there and they call me from time to time with unclaimed special orders. But since TFSMH has several sales shifts, unclaimed orders are first-come, first-served. You have to be ready to drive there at a moment's notice!
I have also heard excellent things about Morgan Hill, but I’m up in Sonoma County, so Walnut Creek is a lot more convenient for me. As it is, even that’s not realistic for maintenance… so I’ve been dealing with a “12V Battery Fault” issue locally with a service department that has considerably less experience with EVs than I’d prefer, but who have also done everything in their power to do the right thing by me despite that.

Camille

First Name
Camille
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
retired
Country flag

We had nearly, word for word, the exact same conversation with them! And we got the same color as you, in fact yours may be the one we declined since we did want AWD!! What day did you pick yours up? We got ours on January 8th!!