Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
New to the forum and a current owner of a Tesla Model S coming up on 3 years of ownership later this year. I inadvertently posted this is the color threads, so I apologize for that and I'm reposting this here where it probably belongs.

I put a deposit down on the Premium LR model with RWD. My Model S is also a RWD model and because of the low center of gravity, I am far less concerned about traction than I typically would be for a RWD vehicle. It's a bit weird 'ordering' a car without having seen it in person, let alone not having taken a test drive. But I guess that applies to almost everyone here too.

As I understand it, according to the dealer I listed in the reservation request, you can get a refund right up to the day your car is delivered. If you test drive that car and you're not happy, you can cancel the deal. He said there will many happy reservation holders waiting for your car anyway.

My biggest concerns are:
* How firm is the ride. I'm not a big fan of a stiff ride and that's what has kept me away from a Model 3/Y...as well as the spartan interior
* Hopefully the interior is more rattle-free than my S. That's my biggest complaint with my Tesla. We had a Fusion PHEV and that was pretty rattle-free, so hopefully that will carry over to the Mach E.
* Charging availability. I don't anticipate many trips beyond the range of the car, and we do have a hybrid for long trips if necessary, but still I'd like to be able to use the Mustang fairly easily if we wanted.
* I ordered the car with the 'gray' interior, but almost all pix I've seen make the interior look white. Does anyone know if it's truly gray or is it more white? I ordered the white exterior.
* Has anyone changed their configuration once you've submitted the reservation. I assume that's doable.

I think any of you that haven't driven an all electric car is in for a treat. It's tough to go back to conventional powertrains once you've gone electric! :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
New to the forum and a current owner of a Tesla Model S coming up on 3 years of ownership later this year. I inadvertently posted this is the color threads, so I apologize for that and I'm reposting this here where it probably belongs.

I put a deposit down on the Premium LR model with RWD. My Model S is also a RWD model and because of the low center of gravity, I am far less concerned about traction that I typically would be for a RWD vehicle. It's a bit weird 'ordering' a car without having seen it in person, let alone not having taken a test drive. But I guess that applies to almost everyone here too.

As I understand it, according to the dealer I listed in the reservation request, you can get a refund right up to the day your car is delivered. If you test drive that car and you're not happy, you can cancel the deal. He said there will many happy reservation holders waiting for your car anyway.

My biggest concerns are:
* How firm is the ride. I'm not a big fan of a stiff ride and that's which has kept me from away from a Model 3/Y...as well as the spartan interior
* Hopefully the interior is more rattle-free than my S. That's my biggest complaint with my Tesla. We had a Fusion PHEV and that was pretty rattle-free, so hopefully that will carry over to the Mach E.
* Charging availability. I don't anticipate many trips beyond the range of the car, and we do have a hybrid for long trips if necessary, but still I'd like to be able to use the Mustang fairly easily if we wanted.
* I ordered the car with the 'gray' interior, but almost all pix I've seen make the interior look white. Does anyone know if it's truly gray or is it more white? I ordered the white exterior.
* Has anyone changed their configuration once you've submitted the reservation. I assume that's doable.

I think any of you that haven't driven an all electric car is in for a treat. It's tough to go back to conventional powertrains once you've gone electric! :)
I think the interior is a very light gray.

You can’t change your reservation configuration BUT you can change your configuration when you place your final order this spring. I think the configuration for the reservation is just to A.) give Ford an idea of which Trim levels are most popular, and B.) Give you an idea on pricing. The only exception is the First Edition.

I originally reserved a first edition and cancelled it for a GT because there wasn’t clarity on the process in the beginning. I kind of regret this now because I could maybe be talked into a first edition of the final numbers were better. However, I tentatively lost the possibility to get a First Edition and my reservation number jumped by more than 13k (even though it was only a three day difference).

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Welcome, our understanding is that the reservation is just reserving your place in line. When you actually do the order, it can be for anything. Change trims (except for FE), colors, options.

OP
OP

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks guys. So is it also your understanding that when you do place the actual order in the spring that you can turn down the car if you're unhappy with it when it actually shows up at the dealership (assuming you weren't happy with the test drive etc.)? This is what the dealer told me, but who knows?

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Thanks guys. So is it also your understanding that when you do place the actual order in the spring that you can turn down the car if you're unhappy with it when it actually shows up at the dealership (assuming you weren't happy with the test drive etc.)? This is what the dealer told me, but who knows?
I believe so. This piece may be more dealer specific, as each dealer may set its own rules. I believe the general expectation is you will be able to cancel at anytime, but I suppose some dealers may make you put down a non refundable deposit.

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag

I put a deposit down on the Premium LR model with RWD. My Model S is also a RWD model and because of the low center of gravity, I am far less concerned about traction that I typically would be for a RWD vehicle. It's a bit weird 'ordering' a car without having seen it in person, let alone not having taken a test drive. But I guess that applies to almost everyone here too.

My biggest concerns are:
* How firm is the ride. I'm not a big fan of a stiff ride and that's which has kept me from away from a Model 3/Y...as well as the spartan interior

Congrats! I have posted many articles that share in my feelings as a fellow Tesla owner. My model 3 has been into service for rattles 3 times with still no fixes. It is driving me mad and I doubt I ever purchase another Tesla. See attatched :

The Truth about the Electrify America Network vs Tesla

The Mach E is a Gamechanger

OP
OP

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Congrats! I have posted many articles that share in my feelings as a fellow Tesla owner. My model 3 has been into service for rattles 3 times with still no fixes. It is driving me mad and I doubt I ever purchase another Tesla. See attatched :

The Truth about the Electrify America Network vs Tesla

The Mach E is a Gamechanger
Thanks, Mark. Yup, I couldn't agree more about rattles. They don't bother my wife but they drive me absolutely nuts. I've always found that rattles totally alters my feeling about the quality of any car. It also tends to make the car feel worse over bumps than it may actually be. It seems the rattle just exacerbates the perception of how the car is handling the road irregularities. I'm just hoping the Mach-E is much better in that department. My other concern is how firm the ride actually is. I know the 3 has a firmer ride than the S, so you may have a different take on the Mach-E and its ride.

We shall see, fingers crossed. I really like the look of the Mustang and the interior really looks upscale, particularly in this price point for an EV.

One other question for the more knowledgeable around here. Does the Mustang come with a) Home Link and b) rain sensing wipers?

Last edited:

benboy12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag
Thanks, Mark. Yup, I couldn't agree more about rattles. They don't bother my wife but they drive me absolutely nuts. I've always found that rattles totally alters my feeling about the quality of any car. It also tends to make the car feel worse over bumps than it may actually be. It seems the rattle just exacerbates the perception of how the car is handling the road irregularities. I'm just hoping the Mach-E is much better in that department. My other concern is how firm the ride actually is. I know the 3 has a firmer ride than the S, so you may have a different take on the Mach-E and its ride.

We shall see, fingers crossed. I really like the look of the Mustang and the interior really looks upscale, particularly in this price point for an EV.

One other question for the more knowledgeable around here. Does the Mustang come with a) Home Link and b) rain sensing wipers?
Homelink was confirmed by a Ford rep. I don’t believe there has been any mention of rain sensing wipers. However, I believe another Ford rep said we may see additional options on the Mach E than what was previously announced.

These comments came either from Ford reps at shows or interviews with various Ford execs. It’s possible things change between those discussions and final packages.

Florida7382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang
Somewhere Ford said the Mustang team designed the steering/handling etc., so I’m assuming it’ll feel the same as my current, fairly new ICE Mustang. Test driving one of those should give you an idea of the ride.

OP
OP

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A lot of good info in the link in this discussion:
Information on Mach E
Ah, I now see it there. Pretty buried if you didn't have that link. Thanks.

You'll see the rain sensing wipers listed there.
[/QUOTE]
Ah, I now see it there. Pretty buried if you didn't have that link. Thanks.
Somewhere Ford said the Mustang team designed the steering/handling etc., so I’m assuming it’ll feel the same as my current, fairly new ICE Mustang. Test driving one of those should give you an idea of the ride.
Would you describe the ride as very firm or hard?
Sponsored