A word of caution when tapping into the interior fuse panel.

sunkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium RWD ext. range
Country flag
Like a few of you, I couldn't wait to install a dash cam the first weekend I had my shiny pon-e in the driveway. Following the excellent tutorial by @MachDoc , I tapped into fuse #4 (see image below, "borrowed" from that post) for a constant-on installation of a Vantrue N4, which worked like a charm.

As the weeks went by (has it really only been 3???), I was loving driving the car, software quirks and all (current trip not resetting reliably, one spurious but scary "powertrain malfunction," a couple of "no chargers in range" warnings, etc.). I figure, eventually, Ford will address these with an update.

However, what bothered me "from the start" was that my key FOB had a very low range and that walk-up unlocking or walk-away locking did not work reliably. I tried both FOBs and replacing the battery of one to no avail. I also tested with just the FOB in my hand and not in my pocket with my wallet (I ended up replacing the strong-magnet-containing wallet anyway even though it didn’t make a difference). My last, desperate thought before talking to the dealer was that maybe the dash cam is blocking the sensors or that the cables that I had stuffed into the mirror housing were somehow causing electromagnetic interference. Sure enough, as soon as I unplugged the camera, my FOB worked well and the car reliably locked and unlocked. I then eliminated one possible cause after another: I removed the camera from the windshield, pulled the cables out of the mirror housing, and unplugged the rear camera, but the only thing that cured the range and reliability issue was unplugging the power from the camera.

So I moved the camera power to the #24 fuse (25 A) and all was fine (that fuse is also constant on).

Ford Mustang Mach-E A word of caution when tapping into the interior fuse panel. Pic1
Sponsored

Last edited:

MachDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Grey, 2023 GT Vapor Blue
Country flag

So I moved the camera power to the #24 fuse (25 A) and all was fine (that fuse is also constant on).
Interesting, my keyfob never showed any of those issues. Glad you found a cure.

OP
OP
sunkid

sunkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting, my keyfob never showed any of those issues. Glad you found a cure.
I think the N4 might be drawing quite a bit of power since it is set up for 3 cameras. What still has me a bit puzzled though is that pulling fuse #4 does not disable the FOB sensors.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Sounds like BT interference, happened with my 2019 Honda Odyssey fob whenever it was in the same pocket as my phone.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I switched to a dashcam battery system to power my BlackVue dashcam in parking mode, as I'm afraid of consistently draining my 12V with all of the LVB issues I read from folks. My solution was expensive (and my passenger seat has quite the electronics bay under it with two gigantoid batteries!) but not having to worry about my 12V operating outside of what Ford expects it to do was worth it to me.

If you are drawing from constant power, I think it is prudent to have some protection to cut off power when your 12V reaches a certain low percentage (say 12.3v). Some BlackVue dashcams have this built-in, or there are aftermarket solutions you can wire up to your circuit to have some protection against draining your 12V completely.

OP
OP
sunkid

sunkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sounds like BT interference, happened with my 2019 Honda Odyssey fob whenever it was in the same pocket as my phone.
I updated my post to mention that I had eliminated that possibility as well.

How do you think switching the fuse might have eliminated BT interference though?

OP
OP
sunkid

sunkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you are drawing from constant power, I think it is prudent to have some protection to cut off power when your 12V reaches a certain low percentage (say 12.3v).
Valid point! I used the N4’a hardwire kit, which includes a low-voltage cut-off.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I updated my post to mention that I had eliminated that possibility as well.

How do you think switching the fuse might have eliminated BT interference though?
Maybe it was further away from a module? I dunno, I just know that’s like the number one cause of fob issues

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
I never have issues with my fob And have a N4 on fuse 4 exactly as shown. Electrically there is no way this is the problem you experienced unless the electronics connected were specifically creating very carefully designed back EMF. This isn’t the case I’m sure. It’s more likely youve essentially found that “some” wiring connection in that area is loose and intermittently causing trouble when you go digging in that fuse panel. I’d mess with it a bit while leaving it on the new fuse and see if you can cause it to come back. And/or switch back to fuse 4 to see if it returns. This boggles the mind otherwise to suggest what could be the trouble.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Ok, so first of all fuse #4 is for the Multi-Function Display, so I don't know that you have correlation between that and the key fob. I think this might just be a case of coincidence or some other type of interference.

Second why would anyone tap into a used fuse spot when there's availability of unused?

If anyone wants to tap into an always on use the unused fuses in spots: 5, 6, 13, 24
If anyone wants to tap into a switched on fuse use the unused fuse in spot: 1-2

All of the micro 2 spots are always on and all of the micro 3 spots are switched.

Don't tap into a used fuse unless you absolutely have to. It increases the draw rating and has the potential to pop-out since taps don't always grab as well as regular fuses. If your tap for a dashcam comes out, boo-hoo, if your fuse for your gearshift module (Fuse 21) comes out then I think you'll have bigger issues.

In the same guide that the OP referenced I posted the correct fuses to use, and that can be found here: https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...a-dashcam-and-radar-detector.5542/post-262345

Last edited:
OP
OP
sunkid

sunkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It’s more likely youve essentially found that “some” wiring connection in that area is loose and intermittently causing trouble when you go digging in that fuse panel.
I didn't open the fuse panel until I had established that merely disconnecting the power to the camera cured the problem I was seeing. I did this several times in different "configurations" (as originally mounted, cables pulled out of the mirror box, camera dropped to the dash, camera dropped below the dash) and each time the FOB range was low with camera powered and reasonable with camera unplugged.

OP
OP
sunkid

sunkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ok, so first of all fuse #4 is for the Multi-Function Display, so I don't know that you have correlation between that and the key fob. I think this might just be a case of coincidence or some other type of interference.
I am with you right there. I cannot explain my observations.

Second why would anyone tap into a used fuse spot when there's availability of unused?

If anyone wants to tap into an always on use the unused fuses in spots: 5, 6, 13, 24
If anyone wants to tap into a switched on fuse use the unused fuse in spot: 1-2

All of the micro 2 spots are always on and all of the micro 3 spots are switched.
I need to double-check, but I believe some of these have fuses in place and I have no way of knowing whether any of them are wired to accessories downstream or not.

It increases the draw rating and has the potential to pop-out since taps don't always grab as well as regular fuses.
The first part is true but irrelevant. With all the fuse boxes I have worked with, there is one switched power connection and one always-on connection to the fuse panel itself. Using a proper tap ANYWHERE on the panel only increases the draw on one of those and not on the appliance originally in single occupancy on that fuse spot.

As for taps not being as secure as a single fuse, that is certainly a valid point with low-quality taps. The ones I wouldn't personally use even if I was 100% sure that all that would happen is that the radio stopped working, for example.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I need to double-check, but I believe some of these have fuses in place and I have no way of knowing whether any of them are wired to accessories downstream or not.

15 ANot used.
25 ANot used.
310 AExtended power module.
410 AMulti-function display.
520 ANot used.
610 ANot used.
730 APassenger door module.
85 ANot used.
95 AAuto-dimming exterior mirror.
1010 AExtended power module.
115 APower liftgate.
Hands-free liftgate actuation module.
Telematics control unit module.
125 AAnti-theft alarm.
Keyless keypad switch.
Front driver door activation switch.
Rear driver door activation switch.
1315 ANot used.
1430 ADriver door module.
1515 ANot used.
1615 AActive suspension (GT).
1715 ASYNC.
187.5 AWireless accessory charging module.
Driver status monitor.
Front passenger door activation switch.
Rear passenger door activation switch.
197.5 AHeadlamp switch pack.
Bluetooth low energy module.
Push button start.
2010 AAnti-theft alarm horn.
217.5 AGateway module.
Climate control.
Gearshift module.
227.5 AInstrument cluster.
Steering column control module.