A word of caution when tapping into the interior fuse panel.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Another option for a dashcam ground. To the left of the fuse box, the lower forward console panel pops off pretty easy. Pull the forward edge toward the passenger door then slide the whole panel forward. There is a bolt under there that makes a great ground.
Ford Mustang Mach-E A word of caution when tapping into the interior fuse panel. CACB634E-EFFB-49F8-8C3F-3E1CDD7542EC
Sponsored

700L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E
Country flag
Hooked two garmin cams up to #24 and #15-16. No apparent issues.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Hooked two garmin cams up to #24 and #15-16. No apparent issues.
I wouldn't use 16 if you have a GTPE because it's for magnaride otherwise you should be good with those. I'm using 4 taps and never had issues. If using empties you shouldn't ever have issues unless you are pulling way too much power.

700L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E
Country flag
I wouldn't use 16 if you have a GTPE because it's for magnaride otherwise you should be good with those. I'm using 4 taps and never had issues. If using empties you shouldn't ever have issues unless you are pulling way too much power.
I should have red the full thread first, Iā€™m going to switch the micro3 to and empty, like #1

nice name btw, I do the sec for a living.

700L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E
Country flag
Has anyone had issues with two dashcams wired together to the same fuse taps? Should this be ok or is there an inherent problem I may be missing?

One camera went into a boot loop today while the other one appeared to be working. The other day only ones remote connection was available via the app although both indicated to be in parking mode (flashing red led)

Garmin 67w and Mini 2.

700L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E
Country flag
Has anyone had issues with two dashcams wired together to the same fuse taps? Should this be ok or is there an inherent problem I may be missing?

One camera went into a boot loop today while the other one appeared to be working. The other day only ones remote connection was available via the app although both indicated to be in parking mode (flashing red led)

Garmin 67w and Mini 2.
Just needed to remove a cam and re-add it in the app. Things have been working well for awhile now.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Sounds like an electromagnetic interference issue. The camera and its systems may supply just enough conducted interference at the correct frequency to mess with signal at the first fuse location, where itā€™s not as bad at the second. Moving the pigtail for your fuse tap probably altered the vector of the highest amplitude signal, reducing interference at the carā€™s BT antennae. A choke at the source (the cameraā€™s control unit) would be the real fix, but if the work-around of moving the power source works without other symptoms, awesome. A good chunk of my work as an electromechanical engineer was for agency compliance, so I have seen this scenario a few times (just on a smaller scale where a minor change in a PC board layout would make some sort of change in system output). šŸ¤ŖšŸ©

Jimmy2

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium 4EX; 23 MME GTPE Vapor Blue Met
Country flag
I switched to a dashcam battery system to power my BlackVue dashcam in parking mode, as I'm afraid of consistently draining my 12V with all of the LVB issues I read from folks. My solution was expensive (and my passenger seat has quite the electronics bay under it with two gigantoid batteries!) but not having to worry about my 12V operating outside of what Ford expects it to do was worth it to me.

If you are drawing from constant power, I think it is prudent to have some protection to cut off power when your 12V reaches a certain low percentage (say 12.3v). Some BlackVue dashcams have this built-in, or there are aftermarket solutions you can wire up to your circuit to have some protection against draining your 12V completely.
Good points. I recently purchased the Blackvue 900; it has the built in protection to cut off power when the 12V reaches gets too low, or you can go into the settings and tell it to turn off when in Park Mode, or turn off in Park Mode after a set (short) period of time. I'm hoping I won't need the "gigantoid" battery.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Good points. I recently purchased the Blackvue 900; it has the built in protection to cut off power when the 12V reaches gets too low, or you can go into the settings and tell it to turn off when in Park Mode, or turn off in Park Mode after a set (short) period of time. I'm hoping I won't need the "gigantoid" battery.
Yep it does -- I wanted to have them operate in a park mode with a hotspot. But if you're cool with them turning off when needed, you can just use the voltage protection on the BlackVue. It will run down your battery to whatever level you set however, so not sure how great that is to have on permanently.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Like a few of you, I couldn't wait to install a dash cam the first weekend I had my shiny pon-e in the driveway. Following the excellent tutorial by @MachDoc , I tapped into fuse #4 (see image below, "borrowed" from that post) for a constant-on installation of a Vantrue N4, which worked like a charm.

As the weeks went by (has it really only been 3???), I was loving driving the car, software quirks and all (current trip not resetting reliably, one spurious but scary "powertrain malfunction," a couple of "no chargers in range" warnings, etc.). I figure, eventually, Ford will address these with an update.

However, what bothered me "from the start" was that my key FOB had a very low range and that walk-up unlocking or walk-away locking did not work reliably. I tried both FOBs and replacing the battery of one to no avail. I also tested with just the FOB in my hand and not in my pocket with my wallet (I ended up replacing the strong-magnet-containing wallet anyway even though it didnā€™t make a difference). My last, desperate thought before talking to the dealer was that maybe the dash cam is blocking the sensors or that the cables that I had stuffed into the mirror housing were somehow causing electromagnetic interference. Sure enough, as soon as I unplugged the camera, my FOB worked well and the car reliably locked and unlocked. I then eliminated one possible cause after another: I removed the camera from the windshield, pulled the cables out of the mirror housing, and unplugged the rear camera, but the only thing that cured the range and reliability issue was unplugging the power from the camera.

So I moved the camera power to the #24 fuse (25 A) and all was fine (that fuse is also constant on).

Ford Mustang Mach-E A word of caution when tapping into the interior fuse panel. CACB634E-EFFB-49F8-8C3F-3E1CDD7542EC
considering the relatively tiny size of our LVB.... 'always on' circuit with any significant load would cause significant voltage sag... perhaps bringing the system down too low to operate other stuff like the BT reliably when MME is sleeping.

Subliminal64

First Name
Burnsey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME AWD ER (x2) "Darth Maul" & "R2-D2"
Occupation
Working
Country flag
Here is a How To video that may be of assistance. Good luck! You got this!

Sponsored