About those AOSK rear door handles. Fail.

Jax_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT (Build in progress)
Country flag
My mom has Parkinson’s. It is really hard for her to get her hand in the gap and opened the door. A button push and a grip is much better.
Interesting. My dad has it too and I feel like grabbing the full door is easier than a small handle. Not saying it’s the same for your mom, just an observation on the different ways people are effected by things.
Sponsored

Mr. Toejam

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Ext, Chevy Bolt, Honda Minivan
Occupation
Dir of MFG Eng
Country flag
Best wishes for you mom. My mother had Parkinson’s as well. She passed away very shortly before Christmas not a kick in the pants short of 89. You’re doing good by thinking of how to make things easier for her.
First. Parkinson’s blows. I hate what it does to people. Second, sorry you lost your mom. But awesome you had her around that long. Third. Thanks but now she can’t ride in the car. The door sill is too talll and she can’t get her leg over. At least my mom and dad got to ride in an ev before my dad passed in October. They were amazed at the ride, the power, the silence and a Ford with such a nice interior.

Mr. Toejam

First Name
Spence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Ext, Chevy Bolt, Honda Minivan
Occupation
Dir of MFG Eng
Country flag
Interesting. My dad has it too and I feel like grabbing the full door is easier than a small handle. Not saying it’s the same for your mom, just an observation on the different ways people are effected by things.
Everyone is different. She has a problem rotating her arm. So when she lifts her arms up, palms down is the best and strongest position. That is why the handle was great for her. But as I mentioned, she can no longer get her feet over the high sill, so back to riding in my dad’s 2002 Lexus es300. That car is easy to get in and out of.

as you are well aware…whatever works.

But back to the handle, I put it on right after Aosk started shipping. If it isn’t my mom, the it was my teenager yanking on it and it is surviving. Aosk will take care of you. But they are evil…they keep taking all of my money.

AOSK

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E select
Country flag
Hi,

Sorry about the late reply! our team was on New Year Break.
Pm sent! we did some test regarding this issue, and we believe this happen because the tape is a bit loose, and the only thing left to hold the handle is the screw. and it will cause this failure.

Since the weather these days is a bit cold these days, what we would do is, we are going to send out replacements, and please use a hair dryer to warm up the tape before installing, and try not to use the handle for 24 hours.
We are always happy to help and always here ;)

OP
OP
Old_Norm

Old_Norm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME Select EAWD, 2023 Maverick Lariat LUX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
AOSK reached out and offered a full refund. I opted for a replacement of the broken handle. I'm not optimistic about the handle but I appreciate their response. Based on that I'll give them a second chance. I'll substitute a better double sided tape and see what happens. I did buy their mud flaps and they are well designed and easy to install.

OP
OP
Old_Norm

Old_Norm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you are happy with the look and design, there are adhesives that would permanently bond them on. A two part Hysol used on aircraft structures comes to mind.
The problem with a permanent adhesive is that if the handle breaks you are stuck (no pun intended) with a broken piece of plastic on your rear door.

OP
OP
Old_Norm

Old_Norm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Assuming you let them fix the issue before you blasted them on a very large forum?
Yeah, telling fellow owners of a faulty product is so wrong. I guess it's true, no good deed goes unpunished.

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Yep. Some people meaning parents of kids that sometimes try to pull the door shut from the backseat, while mom or dad has their fingers on the door frame, because there’s no gd door handle. Fun times. Feels great. Way to go Ford.
There is some protection from that scenario. If you just pop the door It can't be directly pulled closed because of a mechanical stop. You have to pull it open a few more inches before pushing it closed. I never thought about why until you mentioned the kid vs parent idea.

Darkenmage

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT AWDe and Honda Insight
Occupation
Semi Retired
Country flag
Yeah, I ordered and got those and they are a PAIN to install. The screws were so difficult to line up that I ended up throwing them away in frustration. Same is true of other AOSK products I ordered. The only that were semi-decent in the installation process were the B & C pillar protective covers.

Chicago-E

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE Iconic Silver, 2021 GTPE Space White
Occupation
Generator Technician
Country flag
I've had these installed on my wife's GTPE for about 8 months now with zero issues. Just picked up another GTPE for my self today and this will be the first thing I order. Bought the used Job 2 2021 silver GTPE from a Ford dealer for 56k with 8k miles on it. They have had it sitting on their lot since august. They lost their ass on this car. God knows I'll probably join them and lose my ass on it too when I sell in a year or two. Unless gas prices go wild again.

Both GTPEs are still on 3.6.1 which is annoying but thats another issue....

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Why are these needed? Is there an issue with the push button door openers?
Give kids something to yank on and yell 'it's still locked! look!"

TheMachElorian

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium AWD LR
Country flag
Installed them 3 days
ASOK door handle.jpg
ago and this one snapped off today.
I had the same issue. I installed on kind of a cold day, the side installed facing the sun stayed on, the other side was in the shade and came off. I figured it was the adhesive not functioning due to cold temperature. Luckily it didn’t totally break like yours. I bought 3m exterior auto adhesive and installed in garage with hair dryer to warm up all the surfaces and it has not failed for a month now. I would not use super glue if I were you. It would ruin your finish underneath or worse.

OP
OP
Old_Norm

Old_Norm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I had the same issue. I installed on kind of a cold day, the side installed facing the sun stayed on, the other side was in the shade and came off. I figured it was the adhesive not functioning due to cold temperature. Luckily it didn’t totally break like yours. I bought 3m exterior auto adhesive and installed in garage with hair dryer to warm up all the surfaces and it has not failed for a month now. I would not use super glue if I were you. It would ruin your finish underneath or worse.
AOSK sent me a new handle, I stripped off the adhesive and replaced it with Gorilla double sided tape. So far no problems.🤞