Accessing the Positive Terminal for the 12V Battery

Fenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I didn't take any photos when I removed the two front covers, but when I was try to access the 12V battery terminals, I found the clearance space too small to fit my jumper cables. I was hoping I could use the Mach E battery to jump my ICE car, but the positive terminal flap hits the support not allowing the red cable to contact without the possibility of sparking. Anyone have any idea how to access the battery or if I should even bother? At this point I might need thinner cables.

Side question, will the car remote start without the 12V battery? Just wondering if the 12V drained, if I could access the car while not in convenient access to a power outlet by charging the vehicle through remote start app.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I didn't take any photos when I removed the two front covers, but when I was try to access the 12V battery terminals, I found the clearance space too small to fit my jumper cables. I was hoping I could use the Mach E battery to jump my ICE car, but the positive terminal flap hits the support not allowing the red cable to contact without the possibility of sparking. Anyone have any idea how to access the battery or if I should even bother? At this point I might need thinner cables.

Side question, will the car remote start without the 12V battery? Just wondering if the 12V drained, if I could access the car while not in convenient access to a power outlet by charging the vehicle through remote start app.
That's why Ford provides a special booster cable access point for the positive connection. It is under the left front luggage compartment cover and pictured in the manual:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Accessing the Positive Terminal for the 12V Battery Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 9.31.43 AM

This has been discussed in multiple threads. Search titles for "jump".

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I wouldn't try to jump another car with the MME. You're much better off just buying a cheap 12v jumper box and keeping it handy.

The MME will not start without the 12v battery connected (or if it's dead).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I wouldn't try to jump another car with the MME. You're much better off just buying a cheap 12v jumper box and keeping it handy.

I would think the MME would work fine to jump start an ICE. You have the direct 12v battery power plus up to 1.9kW through the DC-DC charging off the HVB.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would think the MME would work fine to jump start an ICE. You have the direct 12v battery power plus up to 1.9kW through the DC-DC charging off the HVB.
Yeah, I have no doubt it would work. But I wouldn't make a habit of it if you have another choice (but that's just me).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
OP
OP
Fenix

Fenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
That's why Ford provides a special booster cable access point for the positive connection. It is under the left front luggage compartment cover and pictured in the manual:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Accessing the Positive Terminal for the 12V Battery Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 9.31.43 AM

This has been discussed in multiple threads. Search titles for "jump".
Thanks Man, I did not even know they had designated terminals, that helps a lot.

OP
OP
Fenix

Fenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag

That really sucks, so when you are stranded, it's going to be really hard to jump the car. You'll have to open the front bumper compartment, and "jump" the frunk open, and then remove the panels to access those terminals. If I'm stranded by myself, I'll have to call for help lol.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That really sucks, so when you are stranded, it's going to be really hard to jump the car. You'll have to open the front bumper compartment, and "jump" the frunk open, and then remove the panels to access those terminals. If I'm stranded by myself, I'll have to call for help lol.
Correct. It has already happened to several members here. And you won't necessarily even be able to open any of the doors, so hopefully, your 12v jumper box isn't inside the car.

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
I have a Li ion jump box that I bought at Costco for about $50 that I currently keep in the glovebox of my Malibu. It has successfully started a few ICE vehicles. Not sure where I'll store it in the MME. ?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Good thing we have free roadside service on the Mach E.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I have a Li ion jump box that I bought at Costco for about $50 that I currently keep in the glovebox of my Malibu. It has successfully started a few ICE vehicles. Not sure where I'll store it in the MME. ?
In the frunk, so it's ready to go and available, incase you cannot get into the cabin.

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
Would be nice if someone made a "cable" that could connect to a USB C port on a phone that charges a capacitor to activate the frunk opener. Possibly even something that could jump the battery.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
But you won’t be able to get into the frunk either without something to apply 12v to the bumper wires.
Good point! I forgot, frunk jump pack storage mostly works with the double pull string mod.

But, a similar question then, what if you cannot get into the cabin (because the super capacitors discharged), and this is where Dan always says (probably correctly), just flag someone down for a jump :)

Or, the super nerdy types can buy 8 AA batteries and a AA holder or an 8 cell long pipe and open the frunk that way too.

Good news is, 12V LVB is probably no longer a problem for now. I imagine the problem will cycle in later years as 12V LVB start to fail from old age, or if some update goes wrong and flat 12V LVBs becomes a problem again.
Sponsored