According to my Tax guy, I need a certificate of some sort that says my Mach e is qualified for the Tax Credit.

rnctacardon

First Name
Rey Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
According to my Tax guy, I need a certificate of some sort that says my Mach E qualify for the Tax Credit. Where do we get this Certificate?
Sponsored

Kachook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD, 2016 Honda Odyssey
Country flag
According to my Tax guy, I need a certificate of some sort that says my Mach E qualify for the Tax Credit. Where do we get this Certificate?
Please consult a qualified tax professional (which I know is what you tried to do). There is no requirement in the IRS regs or notice that we present or attach any certificate with our tax return. I think your guy is mistaken. Even if audited, they’d need VIN and actual delivery date. None of the previous message should be construed as either tax or legal advice.

Tim_C

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE GB
Country flag

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
IOW, all that should be necessary is the bill of sale, indicating the date of purchase and the vehicle’s VIN. Ford has already filed certification with the government that the MME meets the requirements. As long as your vehicle is new and not used, you should qualify for the tax incentive.

OP
OP
rnctacardon

rnctacardon

First Name
Rey Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Please consult a qualified tax professional (which I know is what you tried to do). There is no requirement in the IRS regs or notice that we present or attach any certificate with our tax return. I think your guy is mistaken. Even if audited, they’d need VIN and actual delivery date. None of the previous message should be construed as either tax or legal advice.
Looks like there is one, Generally, you can rely on the manufacturer’s (or, in the case of a foreign manufacturer, its domestic distributor’s) certification to the IRS that a specific make, model, and model year vehicle qualifies for the credit and, if applicable, the amount of the credit for which it qualifies. The manufacturer or domestic distributor should be able to provide you with a copy of the IRS letter acknowledging the certification of the vehicle.

OP
OP
rnctacardon

rnctacardon

First Name
Rey Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
According to the "Instructions for Form 8936 (01/2021), Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit", line 4a:
"You can generally rely on the manufacturer’s (or domestic distributor’s) certification to the IRS of the credit allowable as explained above."

The same instructions have a link to the official IRS list of qualified vehicles which includes the Mach-E:
https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Qualified-Vehicles-Acquired-after-12-31-2009
So I guess we have to request one from Ford? Generally, you can rely on the manufacturer’s (or, in the case of a foreign manufacturer, its domestic distributor’s) certification to the IRS that a specific make, model, and model year vehicle qualifies for the credit and, if applicable, the amount of the credit for which it qualifies. The manufacturer or domestic distributor should be able to provide you with a copy of the IRS letter acknowledging the certification of the vehicle.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Looks like there is one, Generally, you can rely on the manufacturer’s (or, in the case of a foreign manufacturer, its domestic distributor’s) certification to the IRS that a specific make, model, and model year vehicle qualifies for the credit and, if applicable, the amount of the credit for which it qualifies. The manufacturer or domestic distributor should be able to provide you with a copy of the IRS letter acknowledging the certification of the vehicle.
When you do your taxes. Literally, when you're doing them, you'll need to provide the VIn number for the tax credit. Whether you're using a consumer-grade program or a tax professional using a pro-grade version, they will fill in the VIN. That's all the IRS wants. If you get audited for any reason, odds are quite high it won't be for the electric vehicle tax credit.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
Our tax people said all we needed to do was to give them a copy of the purchase agreement. That has the VIN and anything else they wold need to file with our taxes

check with your tax folks or do your homework if you file your own

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Your tax guy isn't very good if he's insisting you get a letter. This will be the THIRD vehicle we've owned that got some type of a tax credit. You need nothing, nada. It's all online, and you simply write that info on the tax forms.

digdug52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E 4X, 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Agree with all the responses. When I did my 2018 Taxes, all I had to do was provide the VIN of my Model 3 on form 8936 (Tesla still qualified for full tax credit for purchases through 12/31/2018). There might be some minor changes, but I did not have to provide any copy of the certificate. This can be done filing electronically or paper forms.
Get a copy of the certificate if you want a piece of mind, but you should not need it to file tax returns.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
According to the "Instructions for Form 8936 (01/2021), Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit", line 4a:
"You can generally rely on the manufacturer’s (or domestic distributor’s) certification to the IRS of the credit allowable as explained above."

The same instructions have a link to the official IRS list of qualified vehicles which includes the Mach-E:
https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Qualified-Vehicles-Acquired-after-12-31-2009
Great advice. Links are helpful.

TGIF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Pacifica PHEV, ‘22 RR Premium 4X
Country flag
Many tax preparers are not that well acquainted with the regulations regarding the EV credit. When we bought our 2018 Pacifca PHEV our guy totally neglected to file for the tax credit despite my pointing out to him that we qualified for it and providing a copy of the Bill of Sale. We had to file an amended return and got the credit (with interest) a number of months later.

You probably know more about the tax credit than your tax preparer. They do make mistakes.
Sponsored