Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I'm curious if it's just me but did most others Acoustic windshields end up with billions of tiny pit marks? Or is that part of the design of the glass?

Another question is, of those that tinted the windshield on this car, what did you use? Ceramic or other and did it exacerbate chips into replacing the glass shortly after due to heat. Did/do you have phone signal issues after doing it

My Rh450H windshield is made of sugar glass it seems. It too is some type of acoustic but man is that thing soft. It nearly needed to be replaced on the drive home from the dealer.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I'm curious if it's just me but did most others Acoustic windshields end up with billions of tiny pit marks? Or is that part of the design of the glass?

Another question is, of those that tinted the windshield on this car, what did you use? Ceramic or other and did it exacerbate chips into replacing the glass shortly after due to heat. Did/do you have phone signal issues after doing it

My Rh450H windshield is made of sugar glass it seems. It too is some type of acoustic but man is that thing soft. It nearly needed to be replaced on the drive home from the dealer.
My windshields have been super durable. Only replaced it 3 times in 65k miles so far. They take a lot of punishment. I hear stones bounce off that thing at least once or twice per day. Sometimes I even see the actual stone coming and am sure it is going to crack the glass. It makes a huge impact sound but usually just pits the glass vs cracking it..... usually.

I have a 6" tint strip across the top. The glass shop replaces it every time the windshield gets replaced.

OP
OP
azerik

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
I want to 70% the whole thing, like I did in my FFE. EXCEPT the day after I had my FFE done I got a rock chip at the very top of the glass. Next day went into a movie, came out and had a 18inch crack right down the center of the windshield due to heat. And it's still there :(

My windshield is 25k miles old and 1.5 years of service, but man if it doesn't look like the car had been driven behind a gravel truck for most of it's life whe you look at just the right angle. Though maybe 3 chips on the entire front end/hood and no big pits in the glass it's self. Just lot and lots of super tiny ones.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
My windshields have been super durable. Only replaced it 3 times in 65k miles so far. They take a lot of punishment. I hear stones bounce off that thing at least once or twice per day. Sometimes I even see the actual stone coming and am sure it is going to crack the glass. It makes a huge impact sound but usually just pits the glass vs cracking it..... usually.

I have a 6" tint strip across the top. The glass shop replaces it every time the windshield gets replaced.
How can it be both "super durable" and have been replaced 3 times?

I have really good teeth, I only have 24 cavities...................

Dustus

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT
Country flag
I was thinking SnBGC's post was sarcasm but now I can't tell....

I haven't had any issues in my first year. No replacements, chips or cracks.

OP
OP
azerik

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
In phoenix we have to dodge extension ladders, couches, washing machines, boulders and the occasional rock truck. But yeah. lol.

2021-MMEx-RT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MMEx CA Route 1
Occupation
Yes
Country flag
The windshield is so soft & it has millions of tiny pits.

/pretty sure it's made from clear butter...

OP
OP
azerik

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
Lucky you... I see at least one rock hauler every day on the drive to work. :(
I havn't driven to work since 2019 except a handful of times, but those rock trucks arn't in the HOV lane 🤣
I took the RX out the other day when it was raining. Somehow I ended up pelted by 5 or 6 rocks (no rock truck in sight). That windshield is starting to look like bullet proof glass.

Last edited:

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
How can it be both "super durable" and have been replaced 3 times?

I have really good teeth, I only have 24 cavities...................
Fair question.

If the windshield was fragile, then I would have replaced it a couple dozen times by now. The windshield in this car is subjected to way more stone impacts compared to any other vehicle I have ever driven. Some of the stones are direct hits. Loud and violent and yet the windshield holds up very well. However, it can't handle everything and eventually one will create a crack and once that happens then it grows quickly. By that time the windshield is pitted enough that replacement is the best option.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
1st
Fair question.

If the windshield was fragile, then I would have replaced it a couple dozen times by now. The windshield in this car is subjected to way more stone impacts compared to any other vehicle I have ever driven. Some of the stones are direct hits. Loud and violent and yet the windshield holds up very well. However, it can't handle everything and eventually one will create a crack and once that happens then it grows quickly. By that time the windshield is pitted enough that replacement is the best option.
Are you driving it in Ukraine?

It sounds like you are driving that poor car in a War Zone.

Good Luck with the land mines!!

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
1st

Are you driving it in Ukraine?

It sounds like you are driving that poor car in a War Zone.

Good Luck with the land mines!!
Yeah, it is crazy here. You should see the front of this car. Hundreds of stone chips in the paint. Part of it is my driving style....I only drive 3-5 mph over the speed limit so most of the stones are kicked up when someone is passing on the left or right and then lane change to get back in front of me. There are lots of stones that collect off line near the painted lane dividers. My car gets pelted almost constantly it seems.

MisterSofa

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Corolla, 2022 Ford MachE Premium AWD
Country flag
Stop tailgating. Following too close to the vehicle in front of you.

Quadzilla

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E CA Route 1
Country flag
I got my first chip within a month of owning the car. Got a full on crack the second month and had to wait 2 weeks for a windshield to be available. Just got another chip about 10 months in. I would say compared to other glass, it seems to be less "sturdy" than my prior experiences.
Sponsored