efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
I read that article. The problem was actually the timing. So the way Tesla is trying to do autonomous driving is by analyzing the images obtained via camera. When cameras obtain the pictures around the vehicle it had to stitch the images together to create a whole scene, analyzing and then decide. By the time the stitching is done and the cpu decides on a course of action the images have changed. Its a very difficult process due to timing and when you are dealing with emergency situations every ms counts.
The problem comes in when you go from level 3 to level 4 (or 5). At level 3, you can get away with less processing power and eliminate the need for redundancy, because the driver is always supposed to be able to take over. However, once you get to level 4, you need redundancy to handle intermittent sensor failure as well as significantly more processing to parse complex or unplanned scenarios and better resolve sensor ambiguities.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
It would be more for my own garage sometimes its tight
Not a bad idea -- assuming it can navigate stacks of stuff as well as it can a pair of cars.

pb3

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKX, Toyota 4Runner, MME Premium AWD ER (order accepted!)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I find all this autonomous stuff fascinating.

Let's say the car is driving itself, approaching a crosswalk. A little old lady steps out without looking.

The car is too close to stop in time.

Does it (1) sideswipe the vehicle to its left, (2) run down the little old lady, or (3) swerve right onto the sidewalk taking out a mother pushing a toddler in a stroller?

Insurance companies are gonna love this... :confused:

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

Let's say the car is driving itself, approaching a crosswalk. A little old lady steps out without looking.

Does it (1) sideswipe the vehicle to its left, (2) run down the little old lady, or (3) swerve right onto the sidewalk taking out a mother pushing a toddler in a stroller?

Clearly you never read or watched "I, Robot" :)

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

Just a variation of the trolley problem.

Trolley problem: You're standing at a lever that can move a trolley between two tracks. If you do not move the lever the trolley hits(kills) 3 people, if you move the lever it hits(kills) 1. What do you do??

Reactions: pb3

MachENomad

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ix35
Country flag
If i read things right om the ford website, pilot is only available on the ER version of RWD or the AWD. Why cant it be an option for SR? What am i missing?

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
If i read things right om the ford website, pilot is only available on the ER version of RWD or the AWD. Why cant it be an option for SR? What am i missing?
Active Drive Assist requires the "Active Drive Assist Prep Kit" hardware. Which is optional on the Select with the "Comfort / Technology Package"

The prep kit is standard equipment on the CA Rt 1 and Premium (First Edition too).

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I suppose it hasn't been released in UK yet what options will be available on the lower trims. Perhaps there will be.

MachENomad

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ix35
Country flag
Active Drive Assist requires the "Active Drive Assist Prep Kit" hardware. Which is optional on the Select with the "Comfort / Technology Package"

The prep kit is standard equipment on the CA Rt 1 and Premium (First Edition too).
Aha, thanks for that. There's no options available in the UK, it's either buy the ER and it gets added automatically , there's not even an option for the SR :(

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Aha, thanks for that. There's no options available in the UK, it's either buy the ER and it gets added automatically , there's not even an option for the SR :(
Has the order bank in UK opened? In US, no options were provided at reservation time. They were only announced when conversion-to-order started.

Jim_I

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium X-R Batt RWD Carbonized Gray
Country flag
Lots of folks don't understand the interplay between resources<->time<->scope<->quality on any project. Want it fast and fully to scope but you don't have the money for a lot of resources? Well... then quality is going to be atrocious. I run an IT department, so I almost daily have to explain this to managers who don't get it. ?
Having been developing software since the 1980's, we had a much simpler way of explaining it:

You can have it good.

You can have it fast.

You can have it cheap.

But you only get to pick any two of those.....

Edit: Never Mind - I see someone already posted this on page 4 with that cool graphic!!!!!

?

Jim

Last edited:

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Just a variation of the trolley problem.

Trolley problem: You're standing at a lever that can move a trolley between two tracks. If you do not move the lever the trolley hits(kills) 3 people, if you move the lever it hits(kills) 1. What do you do??
It depends who the people are.

phil4791eng

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
After a disagreement with a Ford dealer and him keeping my $500 Mach-e deposit I bought a Tesla Model Y with FSD and it’s awesome. The car changes lanes on its own, passes slow cars, and never makes a mistake. Well worth the $8k and I don’t think I can go back to a standard car. Makes my drives so enjoyable. Not sure what the $1,400 gets you to compare it to the $8k. The 0-60 in 4.3s is incredible.

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
After a disagreement with a Ford dealer and him keeping my $500 Mach-e deposit I bought a Tesla Model Y with FSD and it’s awesome. The car changes lanes on its own, passes slow cars, and never makes a mistake. Well worth the $8k and I don’t think I can go back to a standard car. Makes my drives so enjoyable. Not sure what the $1,400 gets you to compare it to the $8k. The 0-60 in 4.3s is incredible.
I’m glad you’re enjoying your MY! It’s true: once you drive an EV, you can never go back to driving an ICE car. Personally, I can’t bring myself to pay the $8000 R&D tax that paying for FSD is, seeing as how it seems to still be elusive vapor ware. I’d rather pay a premium to add the hardware later once FSD is available and validated. The FSD hardware is not needed for anything that autopilot does.
Sponsored

Last edited: