Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Hmm, that sounds really encouraging!
I agree, even if that is just for the additional software, since most or all of the hardware is already in the car at the factory assembly.
Sponsored

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
Yeah, you'd want to see a full map of the highways with this tech activated before purchasing it. Otherwise you may be sorely disappointment.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I would not use it...don't trust the people behind the software. No matter how simple something is, someone always F it up. I lead a small army of software developers and sometimes I want to trade them in for a group of monkeys.
I don't know you or your team. But as a software engineer myself, some managers don't understand SW -- the intricacies and fragility it can have, etc. Or the time it can take to do it right. Or the difference the right tools, development methodologies etc can impact quality. If a manager doesn't respect the team for the effort they give, the team won't respect the manager. Or they could just be a less evolved than a group of monkeys. But just some polite food for thought.

Remember that SW is running in your car today to make a decision whether to deploy an airbag or not. Or in hospitals for that ventilator keeping people on life support. Not all SW is developed with the same scrutiny.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I don't know you or your team. But as a software engineer myself, some managers don't understand SW -- the intricacies and fragility it can have, etc. Or the time it can take to do it right. Or the difference the right tools, development methodologies etc can impact quality. If a manager doesn't respect the team for the effort they give, the team won't respect the manager. Or they could just be a less evolved than a group of monkeys. But just some polite food for thought.

Remember that SW is running in your car today to make a decision whether to deploy an airbag or not. Or in hospitals for that ventilator keeping people on life support. Not all SW is developed with the same scrutiny.
Good Points. I tend to compare everything to aviation "near-equivalents". That doesn't quite work due to varying technology, operating environments, regulatory oversight (such as it is if you've followed any of the 737 max saga) and the like. Things are different and while there is always stuff that can wrong, that's why these devices, regardless of the manufacturer or brand label, need close human monitoring.

Pragmatically, there's no requirement you actually get the active drive assist, nor is there a requirement you use it. People might want to consider it if they have access to an interstate highway or controlled access state highway system nearby, or use the same in their daily commutes. I also think that having the system might be an added resale factor in the future.

I personally, will probably pass as there is literally zero controlled access, divided highways here. It's possible I'd buy on for the resale value or for the possibility of if we decide to pull the plug on Hawaii and return to the mainland at some point (extremely unlikely).

I wonder if there's a general map of the nation's roadways it will work with?

Last edited:

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good Points. I tend to compare everything to aviation "near-equivalents". That doesn't quite work due to varying technology, operating environments, regulatory oversight (such as it is if you've followed any of the 737 max saga) and the like. Things are different and while there is always stuff that can wrong, that's why these devices, regardless of the manufacturer or brand label, need close human monitoring.

Pragmatically, there's no requirement you actually get the active drive assist, nor is there a requirement you use it. People might want to consider it if they have access to an interstate highway or controlled access state highway system nearby, or use the same in their daily commutes. I also think that having the system might be an added resale factor in the future.

I personally, will probably pass as there is literally zero controlled access, divided highways here. It's possible I'd buy on for the resale value or for the possibility of if we pull the plug on Hawaii and return to the mainland at some point (extremely unlikely).

I thought someone released a map when this was first announced a few months ago. It could have been a fever dream.

In any case, given that Phoenix has an excellent freeway system and the valley is so spread out, we spend a lot of time on them. So I'm definately looking forward to using it my commute.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

I personally, will probably pass as there is literally zero controlled access, divided highways here. It's possible I'd buy on for the resale value or for the possibility of if we decide to pull the plug on Hawaii and return to the mainland at some point (extremely unlikely).

Not sure if the purchase of the additional software will add to resale as the person buying your Mach-E will likely be able to make that purchase if you haven't.

The other thought is: What if Ford makes it such that every owner has to purchase it (e.g. they notice the car has changed hands and reset it back to base forcing the next owner to also spend the $1400...).

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Not sure if the purchase of the additional software will add to resale as the person buying your Mach-E will likely be able to make that purchase if you haven't.

The other thought is: What if Ford makes it such that every owner has to purchase it (e.g. they notice the car has changed hands and reset it back to base forcing the next owner to also spend the $1400...).
On an island other than Oahu, it's probably meaningless resale wise. I was thinking of more along the lines of moving to the old pilots home in Nowhere USA and selling it. :)

I'd chosen not to think about the possibility of the "upgrade" being personal to the owner and not the car. Valid considerations indeed.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I haven't seen it, yet. The one we've occasionally posted here was for GM Super Cruise.

In any case, given that Phoenix has an excellent freeway system and the valley is so spread out, we spend a lot of time on them. So I'm definately looking forward to using it my commute.
Excellent freeway system -- yes. Drivers? Not so much. Just yesterday I entered the eastbound 101 from I-17 at around 3:00pm. That area, pretty much all the way into Scottsdale, is under new-lane construction with speed limits temporarily at 55 mph. (And MANY 55 mph double-fine construction zone signs are present.) Traffic was heavy in all lanes, but moving smoothly, at well over 75 mph.

I was thinking that hands-free driving might not be workable in this situation.

What if Ford makes it such that every owner has to purchase it (e.g. they notice the car has changed hands and reset it back to base forcing the next owner to also spend the $1400...).
Will be interesting to see the T&Cs of Ford's add-on software sales. My guess is this $1400 fee is an improvement to the car (VIN) and not its present driver, but that some items are time-limited. For instance I think the $1400 is for ADA hands-free driving capability, but that feature will also require up to date maps/data which are provided under a separate monthly or annual fee. (Included for some number of years at new vehicle activation.)

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Around these parts, people regularly disrespect traffic laws. An EV that always obeys traffic laws will get murdered on the road. ?

The next feature that EVs need is V2V communications. I see a future where EVs travel safely as they talk to each other and respect traffic laws, so lane changing is acknowledged and done automatically, passing old ICEVs.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Excellent freeway system -- yes. Drivers? Not so much. Just yesterday I entered the eastbound 101 from I-17 at around 3:00pm. That area, pretty much all the way into Scottsdale, is under new-lane construction with speed limits temporarily at 55 mph. (And MANY 55 mph double-fine construction zone signs are present.) Traffic was heavy in all lanes, but moving smoothly, at well over 75 mph.

I was thinking that hands-free driving might not be workable in this situation.
I think what annoys me sometimes is there will be construction cones and signs that say that, but no workers present, lanes still clearly marked and separated, etc. It's like crying wolf, one day they are going to say that and really mean it, but other times its like "well just because the sign says that doesn't mean it isn't safer to go faster".

I'm probably and idiot but since everything is less congested because of covid, I'll routinely drive 75/80 on the way home, even though the whole thing is marked at 65. I'm not one to take risks in a car at all, but I feel just as safe doing that as I would out in the middle of nowhere on a divided highway.

I think what's really dangerous is when a) someone is weaving in and out of traffic, or b) a car is going significantly faster or slower than the cars around it.

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Lots of folks don't understand the interplay between resources<->time<->scope<->quality on any project. Want it fast and fully to scope but you don't have the money for a lot of resources? Well... then quality is going to be atrocious. I run an IT department, so I almost daily have to explain this to managers who don't get it. ?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Around these parts, people regularly disrespect traffic laws. An EV that always obeys traffic laws will get murdered on the road. ?
Someone changed lanes into our Leaf a couple of weeks ago, so it's in the shop and we have a loaner Camry. It has adaptive cruise control -- my first time using ACC. Wanting to make sure we don't crash the loaner, I've left ACC in 3 "bars" of space (about 3 seconds following distance). Everyone jumps into that large a space.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I think what annoys me sometimes is there will be construction cones and signs that say that, but no workers present, lanes still clearly marked and separated, etc. It's like crying wolf, one day they are going to say that and really mean it, but other times its like "well just because the sign says that doesn't mean it isn't safer to go faster".

I'm probably and idiot but since everything is less congested because of covid, I'll routinely drive 75/80 on the way home, even though the whole thing is marked at 65. I'm not one to take risks in a car at all, but I feel just as safe doing that as I would out in the middle of nowhere on a divided highway.

I think what's really dangerous is when a) someone is weaving in and out of traffic, or b) a car is going significantly faster or slower than the cars around it.
In this case, workers were present, but the construction area is many miles long. So their presence was scattered. And there is a temporary concrete barrier between the workers and the usable traffic lanes. I think the slower speed limit is because the lanes are all roughed up, there is no usable shoulder on either side, the lane lines are temporarily repainted, and entering/exiting ramp traffic will be driving by construction workers and equipment.

Regarding Covid traffic... Yeah, the other thing I found really surprising was just how busy the roads were, given COVID-19 and that it was only 3pm. I was returning home from a quick "Grand Circle" vacation (impossible to do in a Mach-E), so this sudden heavy rush, which started as far north as Anthem, caught me off guard.

In my normal workday commute, traffic is MUCH lighter and I actually find that I drive slower than I did pre-covid. It's more fuel efficient and less stressful (especially with no one upset behind me).

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Someone changed lanes into our Leaf a couple of weeks ago, so it's in the shop and we have a loaner Camry. It has adaptive cruise control -- my first time using ACC. Wanting to make sure we don't crash the loaner, I've left ACC in 3 "bars" of space (about 3 seconds following distance). Everyone jumps into that large a space.
Just returned from a road trip in my dad's CRV. It has ACC, which I used most of the time. Like in your rental Camry, it allowed me to adjust following distance using 1-4 bars. I prefer a longer follow because it allows the vehicle to be more efficient by not using mechanical braking as often. However, when getting to busier roadways I would end up shutting it off because anytime someone jumps in front, the car hard brakes, which makes anyone behind it want to get around it, and so on. :)

So, ACC is really cool for less populated roads, and maybe also for heavy stop and go, but haven't tried that yet. I think the CRV might not handle the stop and go situation whereas Mach-E's ACC implementation is enhanced for that (up to 30 seconds of full stop is handled, or something like that).