ActiveX seat split open - 2 months old

juggler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Select
Country flag
My car is less than 2 months old and my drivers seat bolster split open. No clue how it happened… regular wear and tear? Material got cold and cracked? My jacket doesn’t have sharp edges and I’m stumped.

I’ve been looking for durability testing data (double rubs/martindale/wyzenbeek etc…) for the ActiveX fabric and am coming up short… I see very little on the composition of the material other than it being ‘synthetic’… and ‘vegan’… is it just vinyl? Urethane? It’s super thin (now that I can see the edges) Does anyone have a data sheet on the material or experience with long term use? Anyone have experience repairing or replacing the material? I’ve never had any car upholstery split on me like this and I’m miffed.

The drivers side interior door panel is also getting marred by the buckle… and it’s 8 weeks old… I feel like they may have used the cheapest most buttery soft plastic (polypropylene maybe?) on the interior panel and the abrasion resistance is very low… too much interference between the buckle/seat/door… does not seem well considered.

While I’m venting about craftsmanship, durability, and usability concerns… does anyone else feel that the stitching on the steering wheel is far too abrasive? I feel like I’m starting to get callouses on my thumbs from driving… like tiny splinters from the stitching.

2FA2725C-3225-4017-B28A-D6B15A9CBD1B.jpeg

8B4D4610-E717-4C12-82CE-86203F256638.jpeg

Mawby

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1933 Ford Speedstar Roadster, 2021 Mache CA RT1
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
My car is less than 2 months old and my drivers seat bolster split open. No clue how it happened… regular wear and tear? Material got cold and cracked? My jacket doesn’t have sharp edges and I’m stumped.

I’ve been looking for durability testing data (double rubs/martindale/wyzenbeek etc…) for the ActiveX fabric and am coming up short… I see very little on the composition of the material other than it being ‘synthetic’… and ‘vegan’… is it just vinyl? Urethane? It’s super thin (now that I can see the edges) Does anyone have a data sheet on the material or experience with long term use? Anyone have experience repairing or replacing the material? I’ve never had any car upholstery split on me like this and I’m miffed.

The drivers side interior door panel is also getting marred by the buckle… and it’s 8 weeks old… I feel like they may have used the cheapest most buttery soft plastic (polypropylene maybe?) on the interior panel and the abrasion resistance is very low… too much interference between the buckle/seat/door… does not seem well considered.

While I’m venting about craftsmanship, durability, and usability concerns… does anyone else feel that the stitching on the steering wheel is far too abrasive? I feel like I’m starting to get callouses on my thumbs from driving… like tiny splinters from the stitching.

2FA2725C-3225-4017-B28A-D6B15A9CBD1B.jpeg

8B4D4610-E717-4C12-82CE-86203F256638.jpeg
The filet cut looks like something jagged (seatbelt end, pen, screwdriver in side pocket sticking out, garage door opener hook, key, jacket zipper, former seat repair at factory -- something.)

Sorry to see that -- I would expect within 12mos you would get some warranty relief.

The side panel -- I will look at mine but I tend to not let it go when releasing so it ends up gently there.

Kabish

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Mustang
Occupation
IT
Country flag
My F150 did the same thing with the buckles if they did not lay down in the exact correct position. The MME is no different, if my kids get out and the buckle is not 100% flat I can hear it tapping against the plastic while driving. Drives me insane and I have to reach over and fix it.

Wait till your put down all your windows and your car sounds like a chinook helicopter taking off with the seat belts slapping against the seats in the wind. Its so much fun...

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Let us know what ford says for seat cover warranty. They have been using active X for years in Lincoln’s/expeditions/mustangs etc and this is the first failure I have seen. I have looked at used ones up to 150k miles and never seen an issue. That’s part of the reason I bought the Mach E with a Vinyl interior. I put 11300 miles in 6 months and the seats looked like new. Yes, my select had the marks on the side panel when I sold it, just normal wear I guess. The sill plates scratch pretty badly too.

Finally in looking at your seat crack it looks like there is another very fine horizontal cut on the upper right side of it, Maybe it’s a defective piece of vinyl. I will say the whole “crack” Does look like a fine edged cut from something.

Last edited:

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
Agreed that looks like a cut. Get your windows tinted recently? I had a Mercedes that got cut by the razor in the tint guys pocket.

OP
OP

juggler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Select
Country flag
Agreed that looks like a cut. Get your windows tinted recently? I had a Mercedes that got cut by the razor in the tint guys pocket.
had my winter tires swapped…

OP
OP

juggler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Select
Country flag
UPDATE - to fix the rip in the seat the repair cost from Ford is $869.04

the scratches on the b pillar caused by the interference between the seat/buckle apparently are covered by the warranty and they recommend replacing it near the end of the warranty period. They do not have a solution for the interference between the buckle and the door.