Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MUSTANG MACH-E
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
thoughts on securing the new adapter when it is released? With Magic Dock it’s secured to the Tesla dispenser and cable. Currently adapters - from CCS to Tesla - are over $100 and one would assume the new adapter to be at least $100. Not sure how Ford and Tesla could prevent theft
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Hopefully a Software update will lock the plug in the charge port. It should already do this anyway.

Deleted member 16048

Part of the NACS standard is the ability of the port to lock the charger in place. So the benefit of this will not just be that when DC charging it's locked (Due to safety) but it also locks with AC charging.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Hopefully a Software update will lock the plug in the charge port. It should already do this anyway.
Current software provides for the lock. They're expecting "unlock" capabilities in a later OTA update. My understanding is it's linked to the frunk button in FP, inexplicably.

eleven24

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MME GT
Country flag
The current locking of the charger would only then lock the CCS in place. One would assume there'd also be a mechanism to lock the NACS plug as well.

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
Would just a small adapter allow the MME to play well with a charging station full of Teslas? I thought there was some awkwardness with the position of our charging port.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Would just a small adapter allow the MME to play well with a charging station full of Teslas? I thought there was some awkwardness with the position of our charging port.
Depends... most T chargers are Gen 2... short cables... in these you have to park offset in the wrong space... restriping the charging location to put the charger in the center of the space would help.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
thoughts on securing the new adapter when it is released? With Magic Dock it’s secured to the Tesla dispenser and cable. Currently adapters - from CCS to Tesla - are over $100 and one would assume the new adapter to be at least $100. Not sure how Ford and Tesla could prevent theft
Not sure if Ford will address this proactively or retroactively. Currently anyone can stop charging on a Mach-E and remove the DC plug. Ford would need to issue a software update that would only allow the DC plug to unlock in the presence of a valid key.

PhillyYa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium Extended
Country flag
Side note: Ford has said they will provide the adapters for free to all current Ford owners

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Maybe it will lock to the Tesla cable when in use. Not much point in speculating since there is zero information about the adapter yet.
Makes sense it would work like this

sborsch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME; 2020 Lexus NX300 Hybrid
Occupation
I.T. Consultant
Country flag
I assume there will be locking capability of this new adapter. I’ll wager that a Tesla-to-CCS adapter will likely lock automatically, especially since @Ford Motor Company is hyperfocused on making Ford customer experiences as seamless and easy as possible.

Though it doesn’t work with DC fast charging, I do have a TeslaTap Mini adapter for Tesla Destination chargers (i.e., Level 2 ones at hotels and resorts that we can also use) and even it has protrusions for padlocks to secure it. Though I bought my own padlocks elsewhere, the ones these guys sell fit perfectly and are inexpensive.

TeslaTap Mini: http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=146

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes, Tesla port is left rear. Getting a Tesla cable to reach can be challenging and may require parking in the next space over.

Depends... most T chargers are Gen 2... short cables... in these you have to park offset in the wrong space... restriping the charging location to put the charger in the center of the space would help.
Adapters and software will only work on Gen 3 and newer.

Side note: Ford has said they will provide the adapters for free to all current Ford owners
Maybe. Farley said they were sending them to existing owners. Notice on Ford Pass says price not yet set.
Sponsored