Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Now that iOS 16 supports Lock Screen widgets many companies are updating their apps to support them. Ford hasn’t yet, hopefully they will. Until then I came up with a slightly hackish workaround.

EDIT: Figured out a simpler way to do it. Updated instructions below.

Download the Launcher app, then create a FordPass Lock Screen widget and add that to the Lock Screen. Tapping on it will briefly open the launcher app and then open FordPass, it’s actually pretty invisible

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/launcher-with-multiple-widgets/id905099592

Last edited:

Toreus

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Premium ER AWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Cool! I have the existing widget on my watch, which doesn’t have much but lets you start / stop and lock / unlock the car. Nice to have that functionality on the wrist, definitely recommend if folks have an Apple Watch.

C6725841-DF01-4A15-B7C1-E8DB506AFD65.png

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
Cool! I have the existing widget on my watch, which doesn’t have much but lets you start / stop and lock / unlock the car. Nice to have that functionality on the wrist, definitely recommend if folks have an Apple Watch.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Add FordPass to iOS 16 Lock Screen… sort of C6725841-DF01-4A15-B7C1-E8DB506AFD65
Great minds think alike

CAFD32A4-6F1A-4670-AE4A-5FA9B365A8B9.png

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Mine is on my watch too, but I hope they eventually let the watch app be more independent. I have the cellular activated Apple Watch and if my phone is not with me, the FordPass app on the watch is useless, even with cellular connectivity. At least the couple times I tried anyway.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I have the same thing on the watch too, the fact Ford hasn't made an actual Watch complication doesn't give me hope for a Lock Screen widget unfortunately.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
EDIT: Sorry, I misread the previous posts and though people were referring to hacks, not an actual widget. My bad.

You guys know there's a FordPass Apple Watch app and complication, right? It doesn't do much, but it's there. (Honestly I didn't realize there was a complication and I only just added it to my Watch now.)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Add FordPass to iOS 16 Lock Screen… sort of incoming-1853BBF6-E892-4D2D-B64A-EBCA0A13732B.PNG
Ford Mustang Mach-E Add FordPass to iOS 16 Lock Screen… sort of incoming-12D211BF-9524-4897-974D-DCEB89257BB1.PNG

Ford Mustang Mach-E Add FordPass to iOS 16 Lock Screen… sort of incoming-28954A53-EE7A-4718-A8A8-9E9AED2F6A09.PNG

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You guys know there's a FordPass Apple Watch app and complication, right? It doesn't do much, but it's there. (Honestly I didn't realize there was a complication and I only just added it to my Watch now.)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Add FordPass to iOS 16 Lock Screen… sort of incoming-28954A53-EE7A-4718-A8A8-9E9AED2F6A09.PNG

Yup it was there for a while, then they removed it for a bit, then it came back last year some time.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
I use the apple watch complication to start/unlock the car a lot. I used it when I accidentally locked my phone in the MME (I don't carry a fob). My only complaint about the watch app is the lock and unlock buttons look almost identical. Yes, I need bifocals :p

Toreus

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Premium ER AWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Mine is on my watch too, but I hope they eventually let the watch app be more independent. I have the cellular activated Apple Watch and if my phone is not with me, the FordPass app on the watch is useless, even with cellular connectivity. At least the couple times I tried anyway.
100% agree. Watch as key with a cellular enabled watch would be awesome to have, someday. Generally speaking I would like to leave my phone at home more often if it was viable to do so - cellular watch is plenty of connectivity without the temptation to be distracted by my phone or dealing with its footprint in my pocket.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I use the apple watch complication to start/unlock the car a lot. I used it when I accidentally locked my phone in the MME (I don't carry a fob). My only complaint about the watch app is the lock and unlock buttons look almost identical. Yes, I need bifocals :p
Calling it a complication is a bit of a stretch, it's just the logo that doesn't even fit into the circle correctly (guess Ford doesn't care about UI guidelines) that opens the watch app. A true complication would allow you to run commands from the watch face.

Reactions: x19

ripperAZ

First Name
Ripper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ice White Mustang Mach E AWD EX BATT
Country flag
My iphone 14 max pro arrives tomorrow. Will I be able to make Ford pass a “virtual dynamic island”. ?
It’s becoming the new notch
jes sayin. Any geeks know?

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My iphone 14 max pro arrives tomorrow. Will I be able to make Ford pass a “virtual dynamic island”. ?
It’s becoming the new notch
jes sayin. Any geeks know?
I doubt it. FordPass has been glacially slow to adopt any new features. They don’t have any widgets or Siri integration. The watch is basically a glorified shortcut, no status.

kindofblue

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach e Premium 11/5/22, '23 BMW i4 40
Occupation
Psychologist & developer of digital tools for alcohol misuse
Country flag
Now that iOS 16 supports Lock Screen widgets many companies are updating their apps to support them. Ford hasn’t yet, hopefully they will. Until then I came up with a slightly hackish workaround.
View attachment 79351
I downloaded the Widgetsmith app that allows you to make custom Home and Lock Screen widgets.
View attachment 79352
Then I created a photo widget with the FordPass icon. All this will do is add the icon as a Lock Screen widget. Tapping it wood just brings you to the Widgetsmith app.
View attachment 79353
I then setup a shortcut automation so whenever the Widgetsmith app launches it opens FordPass instead. So now when I tap on the widget on the Lock Screen it launches FordPass instead!
View attachment 79354
View attachment 79355 The slightly hackish part is you do see the Widgetsmith app briefly in that process and you have to disable the automation to actually be able to open the Widgetsmith app.
Thanks for this. I just upgraded to ios 16 and will add this widget when we get our Mach e (end of October).