krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Great write up. I am looking to take the plunge with an audio installer. Any subs you would recommend that would fit like the JL but cost a bit less? The unit you mentioned is over $600 now. Thanks, I listen to rock/soft rock mostly on Tidal.
Sponsored

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Great write up. I am looking to take the plunge with an audio installer. Any subs you would recommend that would fit like the JL but cost a bit less? The unit you mentioned is over $600 now. Thanks, I listen to rock/soft rock mostly on Tidal.
Thanks Terry. Unfortunately I don't have any experience with other subs besides JL Audio. I've been installing them in my vehicles since the mid 80's and also use them in my home theater applications. I am sure there are quite a few other really good subs out there and also know others here have used them in place of the JL sub. I bet they will chime in.

Rus23

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang GT
Country flag
So I found the solution to the DAB noise. I covered the underside of the boot floor tray (The one that sits above the amp) in Aluminium foil and that blocks the interference from subwoofer from reaching the antenna. Super happy it worked as I really like the improved sound and didn't want to have to take it out...

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
So I found the solution to the DAB noise. I covered the underside of the boot floor tray (The one that sits above the amp) in Aluminium foil and that blocks the interference from subwoofer from reaching the antenna. Super happy it worked as I really like the improved sound and didn't want to have to take it out...
Obviously that was the solution!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding a real subwoofer w/amp to your Mach-E 57A7C82A-CA74-471C-AF44-53C69D4DEE9E

chris1474

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT
Occupation
Sr. Manager
It would be nice if we could replace the OEM sub with a better one but there is absolutely no space in that area for anything else. Even if you could, the B&O amp sends very little power to the sub as it is so changing it out with another sub won't help much.

You mentioned the JL Audio sub/amp I used is a high end system and while it is a very good setup, it is far from high end and is actually on the inexpensive side for what you get. Spending $550 like I did for a good amp, sub and box is really a good deal. Yes you can purchase something for less but it certainly won't sound as good. If you want to go high end, JL has their ProWedge 12" sub in a box for $1400 then buy one of their high end mono amps for $1250. Total for that set up is $2650. That is what I call high end, and expensive. Unless you want to revamp the entire system and spend thousands of dollars, all it really needs to bring up the sound quality is a decent sub/amp and some tweaking of the EQ.
I have the JL CP108LG-W3v3 already and was thinking about adding that plus an Alpine S-A60M. How do you think this will fare? Would you suggest I go a different route?

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have the JL CP108LG-W3v3 already and was thinking about adding that plus an Alpine S-A60M. How do you think this will fare? Would you suggest I go a different route?
Hey Chris, both of those items will work. The sub is deeper than the 10" JL that I recommended but it will still fit. You will need to keep the cargo floor in the upper position. As for the amp, it does have high level speaker inputs but you will need an adapter from the speaker wire to RCA connectors if you don' already have that.

chris1474

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT
Occupation
Sr. Manager
Hey Chris, both of those items will work. The sub is deeper than the 10" JL that I recommended but it will still fit. You will need to keep the cargo floor in the upper position. As for the amp, it does have high level speaker inputs but you will need an adapter from the speaker wire to RCA connectors if you don' already have that.
Do you think I’d get better/punchier bass with this or the sub you recommended?

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Do you think I’d get better/punchier bass with this or the sub you recommended?
The sub you have is an 8" in a ported box. The sub I recommended is a 10" in a sealed box.

The larger the size woofer, the deeper and louder it will play, providing there is only one woofer in the box and that is all we are talking about here, is single woofer sub boxes.

Everyone has their preference of the type of boxes but I prefer a sealed box as the bass is tighter, (not as boomy) and usually more accurate. With the 10" sub I recommended, the box is less deep than yours so you are able to put the cargo floor in the lower level position if you want.

Now, if you want to go all out and spend just a bit more ($50), you can get the 12" version. It plays much deeper than the 10" version and really takes it up another notch in quality. The 12" is the same size depth as your 8" so you will have to keep the cargo floor in the upper level in order for it to fit.

The nice thing about both subs is the amp is built in so you don't have another device to mount and run wires to. Right now, Crutchfield has the 10" in stock, 12" temporarily out of stock.

10" https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13693334/JL-Audio-ACS110LG-TW1.html
12". https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13693335/JL-Audio-ACS112LG-TW1.html

Again, nothing wrong with the sub and amp you currently have and it's still better than the OEM sub.

Hardy1-76

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E-GT Performance
Occupation
Director
Country flag
I am not really looking to upgrade the sun yet - maybe in a few months. Call me crazy, but I hate bringing my car to the shop as I find the dealer just mangles the car and panels get scratched and damaged and they never put it back together properly. This results in rattling and creaking and my OCD is through the roof - why the rant? I have some rattling coming from my sub and would like to investigate and see if I can fix that without going back to the dealer. Would you happen to have any further instructions on what the simplest way was to access the sub ? Any pics or video at all ? Any write ups you came across. Not very experienced in taking car apart, but may give it a shot if I can avoid going to the dealer. Thanks in advance

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I am not really looking to upgrade the sun yet - maybe in a few months. Call me crazy, but I hate bringing my car to the shop as I find the dealer just mangles the car and panels get scratched and damaged and they never put it back together properly. This results in rattling and creaking and my OCD is through the roof - why the rant? I have some rattling coming from my sub and would like to investigate and see if I can fix that without going back to the dealer. Would you happen to have any further instructions on what the simplest way was to access the sub ? Any pics or video at all ? Any write ups you came across. Not very experienced in taking car apart, but may give it a shot if I can avoid going to the dealer. Thanks in advance
Hey Brett, did you see this post earlier in this thread of the photos I posted from the service manual how to take apart the rear quarter panel trim that the sub is behind? Not like you have to take the entire thing apart but at least you can pull it away somewhat to try and find your rattle. #175

Johnny572

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT performance
Country flag
WARNING: This is a long winded write up of my very simple, easy and fairly inexpensive upgrade for the sub bass of the Mach-E audio system. Once I started typing, I figured I would explain also why I did it not just how I did it.

A couple of days ago, I had no intentions on upgrading the lack of low end bass in the Mach-E. The sound inside this car is decent. Not great and not bad. I have upgraded many, many cars and trucks in the last 51 years I have been driving. I currently have three other vehicles that have much better sound systems that I have upgraded and I drive all of them about equally, except the GT500.

I was finishing up my sound deadening project on the Mach-E (one on of the first things I do to any vehicle besides changing wheels and tires) and in the last trim panel I removed, came across the pathetic, cheap, 6x9 paper cone subwoofer, if you can call it that. I thought to myself, this has got to go. Some cars I revamp the entire system and limit myself to between $5000-$8000 and others I just change out the sub and call it a day. The Mach-E is one of those. I’ve had all the door panels off and even the dash soundbar cover and the speakers in this car are not of the highest quality but they sound decent and get the job done especially if you don’t need to turn it up too loud. Speaking of volume, the amp in this car measures about 5”x5” and powers all the speakers. I am pretty sure it isn’t very powerful so the speakers are obviously very efficient.

My go to sub and sub amp manufacturer is JL Audio. I have been installing their equipment since the early 90’s. No, I have no affiliation with them but I’ve just been a happy customer for all these years. There are many good subs out there and JL is not the only one for sure but they have never let me down and make a quality product here in the US. I also use their subs for my home theaters. They start at $900 and go up to $16,500!!

Back to the Mach-E sub install, I could have gone all different routes. Small 8” with built in amp all the way up to dual 12” subs with a separate amp. This car does not warrant or need that much volume as it would certainly overpower the rest of the system and you are just wasting money. As it is, even the 8” lower powered sub JL makes would be 10x louder and have a lower range than the OEM sub.

While I had a lot of options, I also had a few requirements. 1. Wanted to be able to continue to use the cargo floor in both the upper and lower position in case I needed the extra space. I normally keep the cargo floor in the upper position so it is easier for me to take things in and out and it gives me the room under the floor to have quite a bit of air space for the bass sound to come out thorough the back seats. I can still store the charge cords, electrical air pump, portable battery charger/starter, rags, cleaners, polish, etc. 2. Ease of install. Really no need to install a sub and separate amp as there is more mounting and wiring to do and not really necessary for this system. 3. Cost. While I have no problem spending any amount of money on this project, again unless I were to revamp the entire system, it is not worth it.

JL makes all kinds and sizes of subs and you can usually find something that fits your application. I prefer a sub with a sealed enclosure because I like tight, accurate bass. While sealed enclosures are not as efficient, it will have more than enough volume for this system. Ported enclosures are much more efficient but at the expense of being a boomy and less accurate. This also depends on the type of music you listen to. Classical, Rock and Pop, you probably want a sealed enclosure. Rap and electronic music you might want the ported enclosure. I listen to mainly Rock, Pop and Country.

My sub of choice for the Mach-E was the JL Audio ACS110LG-TW1 Single 10” PowerWedge+ with built in 400 watt RMS amp. I chose this because of the requirements above. Height is only 5” so fits with the cargo floor to the lower position. It has a built in amp so all wiring (only four wires plus volume control cable) terminate at the sub. Cost is $520 for the sub/amp. I did buy the optional remote volume control which I always do with their subs so I can adjust the volume depending on the music I’m listening to. The RBC-1 remote volume control is $45. Total cost including wiring and power fuse was around $610.

Before I removed the OEM sub, I wanted to test the loudness and frequency that it added to the rest of the system. I was sure it was not much but it actually does add some, just not as much as I would like in the lower frequencies which is what the job of a SUBWOOFER is supposed to do. Adjusting the bass setting in the sound settings of the Mach-E actually is controlling more mid-bass and it is centered around 125 Hz. Now after the install I have two controls, the Mach-E mid bass setting and the JL sub bass setting which is centered around 50 Hz.

I set the volume at 15, all three eq settings flat and pumped some pink noise through the system via an app on my iPhone. The analyzer was set to 80db. I was surprised to see how nice and flat the midrange was and the high end looked good too (it is supposed to have a roll off like it shows). In the first two photos of the spectrum analyzer, the first one is without the OEM sub, second one with it. There is only a 2.5 db difference with and without. While it is something, that is not much. As I suspected, most of the bass in this system is coming from the four door speakers. Adding in the OEM sub, just adds a bit more volume to the bass and doesn’t add any more to the low frequencies. The third analyzer photo is after adding the JL sub. Now of course I have the remote volume control and can vary the output but what is more important is the low end frequency. 31.5 Hz is now much higher than it was before and there is also a little more at 63 Hz all with very little effect on the higher bass frequencies. The final analyzer photo is what I ended up with after setting the bass eq of the car up +2 to remove the dip at 250 Hz.

In the past I’ve taken many photos while doing mods on my cars but in the last few years have gotten lazy but mostly forget to do it. Below are a few photos I did take while working on this. Removed the panels and storage bin in the frunk to gain access to the positive terminal of the battery. Ran the blue 8 gauge wire from the terminal to a fuse that I zip tied to the negative battery wire. It was a good location for the fuse and if I ever need to access it I only have to remove the one panel across the back. In one of the large rubber boots in the firewall with a large bundle of wiring going into the interior, there was an area that looked like it was intended for more wires but closed off. I made a small cut in that rubber area and again made another one on the inside of the firewall under the dash to allow the wire to come through (it is a double wall boot). Ran the 12+V wire down behind the left side kick panel, under both front and rear kick plates and to the rear cargo area.

I removed the right trim panel in the cargo area in front of the OEM sub and disconnected the wires to the sub. Attached an 18 gauge speaker wire to the two wires that were going to the sub for my audio input to the JL amp. Green/Violet + and Gray -. Just above the OEM sub is the B&O amp and to the left of it is a ground to the metal wheel well. I also used this grounding point to attach my 8 gauge ground wire for the JL amp.

Next was mounting the remote bass volume control. There are several places in the Mach-E to do this but I generally like to mount the control where I can easily adjust it without reaching to the dash or taking my eyes off the road. I found the perfect spot at the front of the console. The console cover that has the shifter dial and parking brake switch just unsnaps and lifts up. I drilled a 3/8” hole and mounted the control. It is easily adjustable using just one finger and you cannot see the control while seated unless you move the seat all the way forward. Ran the 18' cable along under the left side of the console then under the driver’s carpet then along the underside of the kick panels to the back and popped through the hole I had made for the other wires in corner of the padded floor.

The sub box fits nicely in the area that was occupied by the styrofoam container that housed the air pump and charging cords. I did not bolt down the sub box as being 20 lbs. it is decently heavy and does not slide at all because of the carpeted box on top of the padded floor. The two materials together are like Velcro. It’s not going anywhere especially since there is a cargo floor and a very heavy Lloyds custom fitted carpet above it. I still have room for all the stuff I had below the floor and now there is a real subwoofer too. If I want to drop the cargo floor down to the lower level, I do have to remove the charge cords and roll of paper towels. On the lower level, the cargo floor actually sits on the grill of the subwoofer which sticks up about 3/4". I can remove the grill and then the floor would be flat as it was before but I'd rather keep the grill on the woofer.

How I have the levels and controls set up: The car’s EQ is set to plus 3 on the treble (I like it a bit brighter on the top end), left the midrange alone and bumped up the bass +2 to bring up the 250 Hz that was lacking a bit. On the sub amp I have the input level set half way, crossover frequency set at 50 Hz. The remote sub volume is set around ½ way which sounds about right for most tracks I listened to . That means since I have the input level on the amp 1/2 way up and the remote volume 1/2 way up, I am using about 1/4 of the volume the sub can put out to match the audio of the OEM system. Tons of volume in reserve if I wanted to produce some rap bass for everyone to hear down the block. The turn on power for the amp is set when it sees an audio signal. I may have to change this if it drains the battery. Have had that happen in the RS if the car supplies signal to the sub for various reasons even when the car isn’t on. I can pull and ignition wire from the B&O amp for the turn on if that is the case.

Ok, done boring everyone with something that could have probably been written in two paragraphs. ?

UPDATE: I posted if using the 12" JL Audio PowerWedge+ sub amp on this post. #14

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding a real subwoofer w/amp to your Mach-E 57A7C82A-CA74-471C-AF44-53C69D4DEE9E

Nice job! Which power set-up did you choose?
  • REM: amp turns on when +12 volts DC is applied to the remote terminal
  • DC: the amp turns on when a DC offset voltage is detected on the speaker level inputs
  • Signal: the amp turns on when an audio signal is detected on the speaker level inputs, turns off after 30 seconds without an input signal

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
  • DC: the amp turns on when a DC offset voltage is detected on the speaker level inputs
  • Signal: the amp turns on when an audio signal is detected on the speaker level inputs, turns off after 30 seconds without an input signal
HI John, I used Signal. That way the JL sub amp turns on when it detects a signal from the high level input which I have connected to the OEM sub wiring.

Johnny572

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT performance
Country flag
Thanks Mark

Mach-Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME CR1, Ford Explorer
Country flag
Does anyone have experience wiring the speaker level inputs for the non-B&O system? I am thinking about using the wires going to the rear doors but would love to hear any advice.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Does anyone have experience wiring the speaker level inputs for the non-B&O system? I am thinking about using the wires going to the rear doors but would love to hear any advice.
Hi Jay, I answered your question much earlier in this thread. Post: #27
Sponsored

Last edited: