Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Many thanks, Mark! Would the lowered floor with a Ford mat on top have any dampening effect?
You are welcome! No, the floor has very little effect on the output.
Sponsored

Johnny572

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT performance
Country flag
WARNING: This is a long winded write up of my very simple, easy and fairly inexpensive upgrade for the sub bass of the Mach-E audio system. Once I started typing, I figured I would explain also why I did it not just how I did it.

A couple of days ago, I had no intentions on upgrading the lack of low end bass in the Mach-E. The sound inside this car is decent. Not great and not bad. I have upgraded many, many cars and trucks in the last 51 years I have been driving. I currently have three other vehicles that have much better sound systems that I have upgraded and I drive all of them about equally, except the GT500.

I was finishing up my sound deadening project on the Mach-E (one on of the first things I do to any vehicle besides changing wheels and tires) and in the last trim panel I removed, came across the pathetic, cheap, 6x9 paper cone subwoofer, if you can call it that. I thought to myself, this has got to go. Some cars I revamp the entire system and limit myself to between $5000-$8000 and others I just change out the sub and call it a day. The Mach-E is one of those. I’ve had all the door panels off and even the dash soundbar cover and the speakers in this car are not of the highest quality but they sound decent and get the job done especially if you don’t need to turn it up too loud. Speaking of volume, the amp in this car measures about 5”x5” and powers all the speakers. I am pretty sure it isn’t very powerful so the speakers are obviously very efficient.

My go to sub and sub amp manufacturer is JL Audio. I have been installing their equipment since the early 90’s. No, I have no affiliation with them but I’ve just been a happy customer for all these years. There are many good subs out there and JL is not the only one for sure but they have never let me down and make a quality product here in the US. I also use their subs for my home theaters. They start at $900 and go up to $16,500!!

Back to the Mach-E sub install, I could have gone all different routes. Small 8” with built in amp all the way up to dual 12” subs with a separate amp. This car does not warrant or need that much volume as it would certainly overpower the rest of the system and you are just wasting money. As it is, even the 8” lower powered sub JL makes would be 10x louder and have a lower range than the OEM sub.

While I had a lot of options, I also had a few requirements. 1. Wanted to be able to continue to use the cargo floor in both the upper and lower position in case I needed the extra space. I normally keep the cargo floor in the upper position so it is easier for me to take things in and out and it gives me the room under the floor to have quite a bit of air space for the bass sound to come out thorough the back seats. I can still store the charge cords, electrical air pump, portable battery charger/starter, rags, cleaners, polish, etc. 2. Ease of install. Really no need to install a sub and separate amp as there is more mounting and wiring to do and not really necessary for this system. 3. Cost. While I have no problem spending any amount of money on this project, again unless I were to revamp the entire system, it is not worth it.

JL makes all kinds and sizes of subs and you can usually find something that fits your application. I prefer a sub with a sealed enclosure because I like tight, accurate bass. While sealed enclosures are not as efficient, it will have more than enough volume for this system. Ported enclosures are much more efficient but at the expense of being a boomy and less accurate. This also depends on the type of music you listen to. Classical, Rock and Pop, you probably want a sealed enclosure. Rap and electronic music you might want the ported enclosure. I listen to mainly Rock, Pop and Country.

My sub of choice for the Mach-E was the JL Audio ACS110LG-TW1 Single 10” PowerWedge+ with built in 400 watt RMS amp. I chose this because of the requirements above. Height is only 5” so fits with the cargo floor to the lower position. It has a built in amp so all wiring (only four wires plus volume control cable) terminate at the sub. Cost is $520 for the sub/amp. I did buy the optional remote volume control which I always do with their subs so I can adjust the volume depending on the music I’m listening to. The RBC-1 remote volume control is $45. Total cost including wiring and power fuse was around $610.

Before I removed the OEM sub, I wanted to test the loudness and frequency that it added to the rest of the system. I was sure it was not much but it actually does add some, just not as much as I would like in the lower frequencies which is what the job of a SUBWOOFER is supposed to do. Adjusting the bass setting in the sound settings of the Mach-E actually is controlling more mid-bass and it is centered around 125 Hz. Now after the install I have two controls, the Mach-E mid bass setting and the JL sub bass setting which is centered around 50 Hz.

I set the volume at 15, all three eq settings flat and pumped some pink noise through the system via an app on my iPhone. The analyzer was set to 80db. I was surprised to see how nice and flat the midrange was and the high end looked good too (it is supposed to have a roll off like it shows). In the first two photos of the spectrum analyzer, the first one is without the OEM sub, second one with it. There is only a 2.5 db difference with and without. While it is something, that is not much. As I suspected, most of the bass in this system is coming from the four door speakers. Adding in the OEM sub, just adds a bit more volume to the bass and doesn’t add any more to the low frequencies. The third analyzer photo is after adding the JL sub. Now of course I have the remote volume control and can vary the output but what is more important is the low end frequency. 31.5 Hz is now much higher than it was before and there is also a little more at 63 Hz all with very little effect on the higher bass frequencies. The final analyzer photo is what I ended up with after setting the bass eq of the car up +2 to remove the dip at 250 Hz.

In the past I’ve taken many photos while doing mods on my cars but in the last few years have gotten lazy but mostly forget to do it. Below are a few photos I did take while working on this. Removed the panels and storage bin in the frunk to gain access to the positive terminal of the battery. Ran the blue 8 gauge wire from the terminal to a fuse that I zip tied to the negative battery wire. It was a good location for the fuse and if I ever need to access it I only have to remove the one panel across the back. In one of the large rubber boots in the firewall with a large bundle of wiring going into the interior, there was an area that looked like it was intended for more wires but closed off. I made a small cut in that rubber area and again made another one on the inside of the firewall under the dash to allow the wire to come through (it is a double wall boot). Ran the 12+V wire down behind the left side kick panel, under both front and rear kick plates and to the rear cargo area.

I removed the right trim panel in the cargo area in front of the OEM sub and disconnected the wires to the sub. Attached an 18 gauge speaker wire to the two wires that were going to the sub for my audio input to the JL amp. Green/Violet + and Gray -. Just above the OEM sub is the B&O amp and to the left of it is a ground to the metal wheel well. I also used this grounding point to attach my 8 gauge ground wire for the JL amp.

Next was mounting the remote bass volume control. There are several places in the Mach-E to do this but I generally like to mount the control where I can easily adjust it without reaching to the dash or taking my eyes off the road. I found the perfect spot at the front of the console. The console cover that has the shifter dial and parking brake switch just unsnaps and lifts up. I drilled a 3/8” hole and mounted the control. It is easily adjustable using just one finger and you cannot see the control while seated unless you move the seat all the way forward. Ran the 18' cable along under the left side of the console then under the driver’s carpet then along the underside of the kick panels to the back and popped through the hole I had made for the other wires in corner of the padded floor.

The sub box fits nicely in the area that was occupied by the styrofoam container that housed the air pump and charging cords. I did not bolt down the sub box as being 20 lbs. it is decently heavy and does not slide at all because of the carpeted box on top of the padded floor. The two materials together are like Velcro. It’s not going anywhere especially since there is a cargo floor and a very heavy Lloyds custom fitted carpet above it. I still have room for all the stuff I had below the floor and now there is a real subwoofer too. If I want to drop the cargo floor down to the lower level, I do have to remove the charge cords and roll of paper towels. On the lower level, the cargo floor actually sits on the grill of the subwoofer which sticks up about 3/4". I can remove the grill and then the floor would be flat as it was before but I'd rather keep the grill on the woofer.

How I have the levels and controls set up: The car’s EQ is set to plus 3 on the treble (I like it a bit brighter on the top end), left the midrange alone and bumped up the bass +2 to bring up the 250 Hz that was lacking a bit. On the sub amp I have the input level set half way, crossover frequency set at 50 Hz. The remote sub volume is set around ½ way which sounds about right for most tracks I listened to . That means since I have the input level on the amp 1/2 way up and the remote volume 1/2 way up, I am using about 1/4 of the volume the sub can put out to match the audio of the OEM system. Tons of volume in reserve if I wanted to produce some rap bass for everyone to hear down the block. The turn on power for the amp is set when it sees an audio signal. I may have to change this if it drains the battery. Have had that happen in the RS if the car supplies signal to the sub for various reasons even when the car isn’t on. I can pull and ignition wire from the B&O amp for the turn on if that is the case.

Ok, done boring everyone with something that could have probably been written in two paragraphs. ?

UPDATE: I posted if using the 12" JL Audio PowerWedge+ sub amp on this post. #14

IMG_42771900.jpg

IMG_42801900.jpg

IMG_42751900.jpg

IMG_43071900.jpg

IMG_43081900.jpg

IMG_43091900.jpg

IMG_43061900.jpg

IMG_42941900.jpg

IMG_43101900.jpg

IMG_44231900.jpg

IMG_44191900.jpg

IMG_42901900.jpg

IMG_42861900.jpg

IMG_44141900.jpg

IMG_44261900.jpg
Mark, One more question! You disconnected the OEM amp? both connection to the amp? The signal will still go the JL sub?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding a real subwoofer w/amp to your Mach-E 66AFA1DF-9A75-46A9-AD53-47F5617BD442
Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding a real subwoofer w/amp to your Mach-E 66AFA1DF-9A75-46A9-AD53-47F5617BD442

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mark, One more question! You disconnected the OEM amp? both connection to the amp? The signal will still go the JL sub?
John, Not sure if I understand what you are asking. I disconnected the connector at the OEM sub, NOT any connections going to the amp.

Johnny572

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT performance
Country flag
John, Not sure if I understand what you are asking. I disconnected the connector at the OEM sub, NOT any connections going to the amp.
Mark, You answered my question amp is still hooked up. The old sub isn’t. Thank again!

Johnny572

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT performance
Country flag
Installed the JL sub last week everything works and sounds great! One thing when the car is charging the amp turns on. Hi level speaker input it’s on signal setting. Is this normal. It was loud enough to turn the alarm on.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Installed the JL sub last week everything works and sounds great! One thing when the car is charging the amp turns on. Hi level speaker input it’s on signal setting. Is this normal. It was loud enough to turn the alarm on.
John, I have mine set to signal setting and it has never triggered the car alarm. I charge the car in my garage about every other night plus DCFC at least once a week. With your remote volume set to half way, you should set your input level on the JL amp so that the bass for most songs sounds normal.

smaisuria

First Name
Sharvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium AWD Ext.
Country flag
@markboris Thank you for putting this together! For most of my cars, I've had a sub/amp installed and it wasn't until a few cars ago I started doing it myself. When I purchased the MME I was disappointed with the OEM sub and came across your thread. I was nervous doing it myself but after reading your post and posts from others doing the install, it gave me the confidence I needed. I used the same sub and wow, it sounds amazing and brings a huge smile to my face. Thank you!

cdodge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache E GT
Country flag
The 10” fits but the amp rating slightly exceeds the rating of the 12V outlet, which is why I decided to stick with the 8”. May be fine if you don’t crank the volume, but there’s a chance you blow the fuse.
The HS10 will fit in the foam box like how you have yours? if so I think this might be the route and I will probably go to the battery for power. half the price as the JL, plus I like the kickers box better, it almost looks like it belongs there. I am sure it will probably give me what I want, just lower bass, I really don't need for volume

Hardy1-76

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E-GT Performance
Occupation
Director
Country flag
Hey Brett, did you see this post earlier in this thread of the photos I posted from the service manual how to take apart the rear quarter panel trim that the sub is behind? Not like you have to take the entire thing apart but at least you can pull it away somewhat to try and find your rattle. #175
I ended up taking it to the dealership a few weeks ago - I had a park brake failure alert and needed to have that serviced. So I asked them to look at this as well. Happy to report that I can now enjoy the music! I actually don’t mind the stereo - now that it is broken in I find it quite clear and the bass for me is good enough. I dial it down a notch or two. Who knows … maybe I am just getting old lol !

cdodge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache E GT
Country flag
The 10” fits but the amp rating slightly exceeds the rating of the 12V outlet, which is why I decided to stick with the 8”. May be fine if you don’t crank the volume, but there’s a chance you blow the fuse.
I just looked and the fuse for the 12V outlet is 20A and the 10 Kicker box is 15A, I wonder if it would be ok? I just ordered the kicker and I will look at how I am going to wire it soon

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
I just looked and the fuse for the 12V outlet is 20A and the 10 Kicker box is 15A, I wonder if it would be ok? I just ordered the kicker and I will look at how I am going to wire it soon
I would look at the cable required for both power and ground for the amp. The 10" kicker I saw on Crutchfield looks like it uses their supplied harness. This assumes this is the one you are looking to purchase. I did not find a gauge. It comes with a 10 to 12 gauge crimp-on ring terminal and butt connector. I can only assume that is the size of the wire. The tables I online saw indicate that a 20 amp, 12 volt wire, should use a 8 to 10 gauge wire, depending upon the length. This might be a viable option. However, I am no expert on amplifier draw and cable size.

cdodge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache E GT
Country flag
I would look at the cable required for both power and ground for the amp. The 10" kicker I saw on Crutchfield looks like it uses their supplied harness. This assumes this is the one you are looking to purchase. I did not find a gauge. It comes with a 10 to 12 gauge crimp-on ring terminal and butt connector. I can only assume that is the size of the wire. The tables I online saw indicate that a 20 amp, 12 volt wire, should use a 8 to 10 gauge wire, depending upon the length. This might be a viable option. However, I am no expert on amplifier draw and cable size.
This is the sub I was looking at. It appears that it only uses 14 gauge wire. I can't tell from the pics but I wonder what gauge wire the 12v plug is using?

Connections
Harness: The Quick-Connect harness has wires for power (17 feet/14-gauge), ground (2 feet/14-gauge), remote turn-on (2 feet/20-gauge), and signal input (8 feet/20-gauge). If using a speaker level input, just splice into the wire in the harness. If using a line level input, a speaker wire to RCA adapter is needed (sold separately). The included in-line fuse holder should be added to the power wire at the battery location.

Remote Bass: 3.5mm mini-jack for use with the included wired remote

Fuse: one 15-amp ATO fuse installed in the chassis

Thanks

cdodge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache E GT
Country flag
what connectors did you guys use to tap into the sub speaker wire? Just regular ttap? if so what gauge is needed?

Also, I am looking at using the 12V for power since the amp I am using is only 15A, what connectors did you use to tap into the 12V power cable?

Thanks

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
what connectors did you guys use to tap into the sub speaker wire? Just regular ttap? if so what gauge is needed?

Also, I am looking at using the 12V for power since the amp I am using is only 15A, what connectors did you use to tap into the 12V power cable?

Thanks
I used a soldering iron to melt the insulation and expose the bare wire, I then wrapped the wire and soldered it on. The last thing I want is an intermittent connection. That won't happen if the wires are soldered together.

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
I used a JL Audio sub and it required an 8 gauge wire. I ran it from the battery. I was introduced to posi-taps and like to use them for connecting into a wiring harness. Amazon and Crutchfield sell them.
Sponsored