Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
You know I completely forgot about doing this on my car since the 12” jl was out of stock forever. Saw this pop up a few days ago and low and behold you can order it now. Albeit $100 more, but available. Ordered…
Sponsored

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
I'm sorry if it's already been mentioned and I missed it, but my setup that I'm going to swap from the EV6 to the MMEGT is an infinity basslink mini. It has high level inputs and low level. If I use the high level inputs or utilize a LOC I have, does it matter that those inputs are looking for a left and right? Would I just wire the +/- to either the right or the left, if it matters at all?

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm sorry if it's already been mentioned and I missed it, but my setup that I'm going to swap from the EV6 to the MMEGT is an infinity basslink mini. It has high level inputs and low level. If I use the high level inputs or utilize a LOC I have, does it matter that those inputs are looking for a left and right? Would I just wire the +/- to either the right or the left, if it matters at all?
Doesn't matter for left or right, just +/-.

SXBB

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition
Occupation
Cardiovascular Perfusionist
Country flag
I read somewhere recently that the polarity of the output from the amp needs to be reversed or the sub won't sense that there's signal present. Has anybody experienced this?

Thanks

SV8T

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler 4xE HA/Range Rover Sport SVR/Audi A7
Occupation
Legal
Country flag
Apologies if I missed it - Can someone tell me if there is a specific line output converter needed on the Mach-E to add external amp and subwoofer - not a powered sub combo?

I have a GTPE on the way with B&O system. I recently replaced all speakers and added subs to my new Wrangler 4xe and discovered that it required a specific PacAmp Pro module for the line out conversion. Was the first time I discovered that a standard LOC wouldn't work.

For reference, I'm wanting to add LC2i Pro with DSP and subcontrol and external amp and sub. Thanks in advance!

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Apologies if I missed it - Can someone tell me if there is a specific line output converter needed on the Mach-E to add external amp and subwoofer - not a powered sub combo?

I have a GTPE on the way with B&O system. I recently replaced all speakers and added subs to my new Wrangler 4xe and discovered that it required a specific PacAmp Pro module for the line out conversion. Was the first time I discovered that a standard LOC wouldn't work.

For reference, I'm wanting to add LC2i Pro with DSP and subcontrol and external amp and sub. Thanks in advance!
I am not sure I understand the question but there is no line level analog outputs to tap into. You tap into the speaker outputs. I chose the front speaker wires for mine.

SV8T

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler 4xE HA/Range Rover Sport SVR/Audi A7
Occupation
Legal
Country flag
I think that answers my question. On the Jeep, something with the head unit or amps didn't allow the speaker wires to be tapped into. Instead a module needed to be plugged into the head unit to supply the RCA's.

This sounds like its more of a typical install that Ive done in the past. Thanks for the response!

Rpgonzalez

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Just finished my install, thanks for the help!

One thing I will say, is that I could have easily went with the 12V outlet if I had known the kick panels would suck so bad. The frunk release got in the way, as well as the battery being more difficult to access than let on. 20 amps from the 12v by the sub is quite a bit of juice. But I’m old school, back from when every install “needed” 0 gauge lol. Seriously, my 500w peak amp will probably need to get struck by lightning to hit 20amps. Anyway, I wasted my time laying 10gauge and it was a PITA.

Had some stuff left over from my model 3 trunk hole. A shallow sub box from Amazon, a kicker 10 inch, an LC2i, and a “500 W” amp.

I used the 12v for a remote switch even though the LC2i has audio sensing. Might as well, you know the 12v turns off after a few minutes. And the weirdest thing with my model 3, is “sentry mode” would somehow trigger my amplifier to sense a signal and turn on all night long. I didn’t know if the Mach-e would do the same thing.

QUESTIONS:
1. Anyone notice that the OEM subwoofer feed tapers off prematurely at about 60Hz? It’s either crossed over to protect the OEM sub, OR the car just eats bass at that frequency. Hell, I even think the OEM sub might do a pretty good job, the bass just doesn’t make it to the driver. Not sure. Im even contemplating using bass boost… a no-no in my 30 years of car audio install.

2. my LC2i can compensate for rolloff of bass as the volume increases. It seems as if I don’t need this, as the B&O seems to boost bass output as the volume increases as usual.

Final Note: the B&O (except bass) is excellent. I’m comparing this to some pretty shitty OEM systems, but I’ve had some “decent” systems like the B&O in an Audi A3 and Fender in a Golf. I had to do some serious mods in my model 3…. The Standard Range model had the tweeters actually installed, but NOT WIRED. BUT, after customizing some crossovers and tapping in to the dash midrange speakers, I ended up with a sweet system. My point is that I do not think you will be able to gut the Mach-e system and replace it with something better.(Trust me, I’ve spent thousand of dollars on customs systems with kickpanels, 3 ways, 12” image dynamics with plexiglass windows and JLaudio amps). It’s all about tuning, and B&O did a good job on the Mach-e. You just have to get some bass in there.

PS with this setup, cargo floor needs to be in the higher position,but I added some connectors to easily remove the whole thing if I need to drop the floor.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding a real subwoofer w/amp to your Mach-E 69D47F0D-F343-41DE-9C5B-F562538C62FA

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding a real subwoofer w/amp to your Mach-E FDEA5453-4BC6-4657-9735-DCF247EF303F

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding a real subwoofer w/amp to your Mach-E 64F6C8A2-1F81-4204-B2BB-2782E56503FB

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just finished my install, thanks for the help!

One thing I will say, is that I could have easily went with the 12V outlet if I had known the kick panels would suck so bad. The frunk release got in the way, as well as the battery being more difficult to access than let on. 20 amps from the 12v by the sub is quite a bit of juice. But I’m old school, back from when every install “needed” 0 gauge lol. Seriously, my 500w peak amp will probably need to get struck by lightning to hit 20amps. Anyway, I wasted my time laying 10gauge and it was a PITA.

Had some stuff left over from my model 3 trunk hole. A shallow sub box from Amazon, a kicker 10 inch, an LC2i, and a “500 W” amp.

I used the 12v for a remote switch even though the LC2i has audio sensing. Might as well, you know the 12v turns off after a few minutes. And the weirdest thing with my model 3, is “sentry mode” would somehow trigger my amplifier to sense a signal and turn on all night long. I didn’t know if the Mach-e would do the same thing.

QUESTIONS:
1. Anyone notice that the OEM subwoofer feed tapers off prematurely at about 60Hz? It’s either crossed over to protect the OEM sub, OR the car just eats bass at that frequency. Hell, I even think the OEM sub might do a pretty good job, the bass just doesn’t make it to the driver. Not sure. Im even contemplating using bass boost… a no-no in my 30 years of car audio install.

2. my LC2i can compensate for rolloff of bass as the volume increases. It seems as if I don’t need this, as the B&O seems to boost bass output as the volume increases as usual.

Final Note: the B&O (except bass) is excellent. I’m comparing this to some pretty shitty OEM systems, but I’ve had some “decent” systems like the B&O in an Audi A3 and Fender in a Golf. I had to do some serious mods in my model 3…. The Standard Range model had the tweeters actually installed, but NOT WIRED. BUT, after customizing some crossovers and tapping in to the dash midrange speakers, I ended up with a sweet system. My point is that I do not think you will be able to gut the Mach-e system and replace it with something better.(Trust me, I’ve spent thousand of dollars on customs systems with kickpanels, 3 ways, 12” image dynamics with plexiglass windows and JLaudio amps). It’s all about tuning, and B&O did a good job on the Mach-e. You just have to get some bass in there.

PS with this setup, cargo floor needs to be in the higher position,but I added some connectors to easily remove the whole thing if I need to drop the floor.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding a real subwoofer w/amp to your Mach-E 64F6C8A2-1F81-4204-B2BB-2782E56503FB

Hey Robert, glad you got your system in and working. While it is a PITA to run a wire from the LVB to the rear cargo area, I didn't find it much worse than many other cars I have done recently. My GT500 wasn't that easy either. Where the battery is located, in order to access it to run a wire to the rear had to remove the right front wheel and inner finder liner to penetrate the firewall to get to the interior. There is always a challenge and I seem to get the more difficult ones.

Yes you are right the 12V, 20 amp circuit in the rear might be good for some smaller amps but the JL amp built into the sub I used requires a min of 30 amp circuit with min 8 ga wiring. Not that it is a large heavy duty amp by any means but like you, I am old school and like wiring my power directly from the battery. In my Escape I gutted the entire system and installed a quite high end one with Focal separates (made in France) Moscone amps (made in Italy) and JL amp and sub. I installed a second, high current 12 battery in the cargo area specifically for the audio system.

Yes I think the audio feed to the OEM sub does start rolling off around 60Hz like you say but there is no way that cheap OEM driver would be able to handle deep bass anyway. I have my crossover on the JL set at 50Hz and beings it is has a 12db slope that is fine. I just pump in that extra deep bass the car is lacking.

I agree with you on the overall sound of the B&O system in this car that they tuned it pretty well (except for the lack of actual bass). It is the second car I have ever had and I have owned quite a few, that I didn't gut and reinstall a system of my liking. While it definitely can be improved on by doing this, it would be at a considerable cost and not worth it in my opinion. I do wish at sometimes the system had more power. I did tweak the tone controls a bit and with the added sub it's a very capable OEM system. My GT500 is the only other car I haven't gutted audio wise and it too is a B&O system. It has even more drivers up front with a dedicated midrange speaker. It has a smoother overall sound than the Mach-E but not as punchy. It is all in the location of the drivers and the interior acoustics that change it up from the sound of the Mach-E. I was also lacking in bass and replaced the OEM 10" with a JL 12" stealthbox and dedicated 500w JL amp that requires a minimum of 4 ga wiring and 50 amp circuit.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hey Robert, glad you got your system in and working. While it is a PITA to run a wire from the LVB to the rear cargo area, I didn't find it much worse than many other cars I have done recently. My GT500 wasn't that easy either. Where the battery is located, in order to access it to run a wire to the rear had to remove the right front wheel and inner finder liner to penetrate the firewall to get to the interior. There is always a challenge and I seem to get the more difficult ones.

Yes you are right the 12V, 20 amp circuit in the rear might be good for some smaller amps but the JL amp built into the sub I used requires a min of 30 amp circuit with min 8 ga wiring. Not that it is a large heavy duty amp by any means but like you, I am old school and like wiring my power directly from the battery. In my Escape I gutted the entire system and installed a quite high end one with Focal separates (made in France) Moscone amps (made in Italy) and JL amp and sub. I installed a second, high current 12 battery in the cargo area specifically for the audio system.

Yes I think the audio feed to the OEM sub does start rolling off around 60Hz like you say but there is no way that cheap OEM driver would be able to handle deep bass anyway. I have my crossover on the JL set at 50Hz and beings it is has a 12db slope that is fine. I just pump in that extra deep bass the car is lacking.

I agree with you on the overall sound of the B&O system in this car that they tuned it pretty well (except for the lack of actual bass). It is the second car I have ever had and I have owned quite a few, that I didn't gut and reinstall a system of my liking. While it definitely can be improved on by doing this, it would be at a considerable cost and not worth it in my opinion. I do wish at sometimes the system had more power. I did tweak the tone controls a bit and with the added sub it's a very capable OEM system. My GT500 is the only other car I haven't gutted audio wise and it too is a B&O system. It has even more drivers up front with a dedicated midrange speaker. It has a smoother overall sound than the Mach-E but not as punchy. It is all in the location of the drivers and the interior acoustics that change it up from the sound of the Mach-E. I was also lacking in bass and replaced the OEM 10" with a JL 12" stealthbox and dedicated 500w JL amp that requires a minimum of 4 ga wiring and 50 amp circuit.
I noticed the stock subwoofer does put out some good, deep bass but it is over powered by the front speakers. I had my fronts turned down to greatly favor the rear speakers and I can hear the bass really well. It sounds quite good. But I agree with everyone else that bass volume is not there especially if you balance the fade near the middle of the car.

Rpgonzalez

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I noticed the stock subwoofer does put out some good, deep bass but it is over powered by the front speakers. I had my fronts turned down to greatly favor the rear speakers and I can hear the bass really well. It sounds quite good. But I agree with everyone else that bass volume is not there especially if you balance the fade near the middle of the car.
Now that you mention it, the fronts are much louder than the rears. I usually I like it that way, but its a good idea that fading to the back would make that OEM sub work a little harder.

Rpgonzalez

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Lol. Ive been lucky. All my cars since 2008 have had the battery in the back. Altima Hybrid, A3 e-Tron, Prius and Pacifica PHEV. My Jetta sportwagen had the fender sub in the back, and I cant remember if I kept the sub or tapped off of that subs 12 V and even though the Model 3's LVB was in the front, there was a random 12V access point under the rear seat.

Long story short... I havent had to run wire back in 15 years. I ran out of bandaids on this project!

Rpgonzalez

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
Yes you are right the 12V, 20 amp circuit in the rear might be good for some smaller amps but the JL amp built into the sub I used requires a min of 30 amp circuit with min 8 ga wiring.
I havent had the guts to try my claim out.. maybe someday. But that power wedge will probably never draw even 20A in real world application. Unless you plan on bumping some sweet 40Hz test tones as you cruise down the street. I did one test a while ago with my sub playing electronica music, the woofer was doing some serious excursion and I was around 10A of draw. Now peak load? I dont know.

Last edited:

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Now that you mention it, the fronts are much louder than the rears. I usually I like it that way, but its a good idea that fading to the back would make that OEM sub work a little harder.
There was a lot of debate in another thread about this.

The fronts aren’t louder, they’re just closer to your ears.

Open the back doors, put you ears near the speakers. Then do the same to the front speakers.

They’re equally loud.

The rear speakers are just more for the rear passengers and fronts for the front. And The center speaker so close to the windshield makes it seem louder than it actually is.

It’s not set up like a home theater where every speaker is for you.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There was a lot of debate in another thread about this.

The fronts aren’t louder, they’re just closer to your ears.

Open the back doors, put you ears near the speakers. Then do the same to the front speakers.

They’re equally loud.

The rear speakers are just more for the rear passengers and fronts for the front. And The center speaker so close to the windshield makes it seem louder than it actually is.

It’s not set up like a home theater where every speaker is for you.
Of course. The point is you can't hear the stock subwoofer very well if the fade is even between front and back. It's not that the stock sub can't go low, it just lacks volume.

Edit: "Low" is relative. Mark and I DM'd about this and he has measured the output of the stock subwoofer. It drops off significantly under 60 Hz, while the JL one does not. @markboris, do you want to clarify this so my post is not misleading? Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited: