Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
@markboris This is a super clean install, and it looks like you have helped alot of people, that awesome! I have a quick question for you? Im installing a system that can take 12-24v do you still recommend the fuse from the 12v to the system or do you think I can skip it? Also any concern about the system staying on and pulling from the 12v?
Hi Harrison, if you mean the fuse for the main 12V+ cable that is at the battery, yes you need that fuse. If that cable should ever short to ground, the fuse will blow otherwise without a fuse you could have a real issue on your hands.

Your question about the "system" staying on, you mean the amp built into the JL sub? If so, it will not stay on because you will have the remote turn on set to signal sensing. The amp will only come on when it receives and audio signal from the OEM sub wires that you connected to the input on the JL sub. When the JL sub amp does not receive an audio signal for more than 25 seconds, it will turn off.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ArthurDOB

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium AWD STD Range (Delivered 5/22/23)
Occupation
High School Teacher
Country flag
I am excited (and a little nervous) to try this when summer rolls around. I'd really like some better bass than what the stock system provides.

Vgkfan

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 mme premium ER AWD 2016 Kia, 2003 Honda
Country flag
If you are talking about adding the sub, I have that info in the first post of this thread. I'm traveling today (driving) so can't make up a quick list right now but many others have done this and might chime in. Very few parts/wiring needed.
Reading through the original post, I thought this is exactly what I need to change the sound from decent to good. Until I realized it wasn’t simply take the old sub/amp out and replace with new. I could pay a shop to do it, or look for a sub/amp that would be a direct replacement for the Oem one which I may be able to do myself. I would love your opinion.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Reading through the original post, I thought this is exactly what I need to change the sound from decent to good. Until I realized it wasn’t simply take the old sub/amp out and replace with new. I could pay a shop to do it, or look for a sub/amp that would be a direct replacement for the Oem one which I may be able to do myself. I would love your opinion.
IMO adding an amp is the best way to go. The input into the factory amp is not analog, so replacing it is a big challenge. I think one forum member was going to try it but I am not sure if he ever got it to work.

You can pull the analog speaker out from the factory amp and add a new amp and new subwoofer. I guess you could try to replace the existing subwoofer but I doubt it will be much better due to the space available in that area.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There isn't any space in the rear where the OEM sub is to replace it with anything decent. Actually I don't think there is anything at all that will fit back there and if it it does, would not make a bit of difference. The easiest way to add bass is what I described in the first post. A sub box with a built in amp. Drop it into the lower area under the cargo floor and wire it up. Mike (above) I believe used a different approach and put a self powered sub under one of his seats.

Vgkfan

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There isn't any space in the rear where the OEM sub is to replace it with anything decent. Actually I don't think there is anything at all that will fit back there if it it does, would not make a bit of difference. The easiest way to add bass is what I described in the first post. A sub box with a built in amp. Drop it into the lower area under the cargo floor and wire it up. Mike (above) I believe used a different approach and put a self powered sub under one of his seats.
Thank you so much for the info, will be looking forward to a better sounding system.

Vgkfan

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
IMO adding an amp is the best way to go. The input into the factory amp is not analog, so replacing it is a big challenge. I think one forum member was going to try it but I am not sure if he ever got it to work.

You can pull the analog speaker out from the factory amp and add a new amp and new subwoofer. I guess you could try to replace the existing subwoofer but I doubt it will be much better due to the space available in that area.
Ok, thanks so much for the info. I will definitely have to think more about this. Was hoping pull oem amp, replace with new and improved amp, get better sound. I’m thinking not being very diy, best bet may be to take to a shop, if I can find one that has done Mach e s before.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Thank you so much for the info, will be looking forward to a better sounding system.
Cheapest and easiest upgrade is one of the slim subs that fit under your seat. But it’s not that much easier as it requires the same wiring, just less distance.

Vgkfan

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Cheapest and easiest upgrade is one of the slim subs that fit under your seat. But it’s not that much easier as it requires the same wiring, just less distance.
I was wondering if the wiring was the same. Thank you, I no longer have to wonder.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Yeah, that is not as easy as you think, if you don't want it to get crushed when your shorter wife drives the car. To avoid that problem, I put mine on sliders so it moves with the seat. And it doesn't get crushed. But it wasn't the easiest project. It would have been easier to put it in the spare tire hole.
Sponsored