dires114

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 4X (ordered)
Country flag
The B&O system in the Mach-E sounds nothing like the one in the S550. I did a similar thing as you in my S550 and disconnected the center channel speaker but replaced the factory sub with a JLAudio 12" Stealth box sub and added one of there mono amps. I also like the sound of the system in the S550 as it has more speakers up front (2 tweeters, 2 midranges and 2 mid-bass). It has a fuller sound with better midrange since they are places high in the doors and not down low.

After replacing the sub in the Mach-E with a similar JLAudio 12" sub and amp, the system does sound pretty good but different. Less presence since there is no midrange speakers but has better imaging since the two tweeters are pointing at you (in the sound bar) opposed to them being in the A pillar. I did not disconnect the center speaker in the Mach-E like I usually do in other car systems as it helps with the lack of midrange. I think once you replace the sub and tweak the audio settings, you will like the Mach-E system.
Cutting out the crappy center channel speaker in the S550 was such a game changer, I just assumed doing the same was preordained in the Mach-E. So it sounds better, good enough to retain? Is it a better speaker quality? Or do you think the sound engineers just learned their lessons from the S550 system and actually incorporated that channel better in the tuning?
Sponsored

Dear1nc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE
Country flag
I am actually pretty impressed the system. I always do aftermarket everything but I am probably just going to add the sub and that's it. I think the channel tuning is really good. It could use some tweeters but thats about it. I think I am going to just split off of the sub line and keep the factory sub running with my JL sub. It does put out real nice mid bass.

Dear1nc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE
Country flag
Well, I guess I need to order this JL 10” or 12”… The 12” out of my BMW isn’t gonna fit. Lol.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding a decent subwoofer/amp to your Mach-E 5CCE4C70-E12B-423A-AD76-E07F2C155C41
The 12” is a perfect fit. You literally need to push and tilt to even get it in there. I started install today and then it started pouring rain so hopefully tomorrow I can get it done!

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
The 12” is a perfect fit. You literally need to push and tilt to even get it in there. I started install today and then it started pouring rain so hopefully tomorrow I can get it done!
How do you feel with the 12" and the cargo floor in the high position about putting 250 lbs of water softener salt on it? Thats the one big cargo haul I have to do about monthly. I can't decide if I'd trust that or just want the 10" which I suspect sounds pretty damn good anyway.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
How do you feel with the 12" and the cargo floor in the high position about putting 250 lbs of water softener salt on it? Thats the one big cargo haul I have to do about monthly. I can't decide if I'd trust that or just want the 10" which I suspect sounds pretty damn good anyway.
I know you asked Nick but I am going to chime in here too. The most weight I have ever put in the back so far is around 100 lbs and have had no issues. 250 lbs is quite a lot of weight and think you might want to keep it on the lower level which has more support. The 10" sounds really good and plays just about as loud as the 12" however the 12" does go quite a bit deeper if you are looking for that.

ZuleMME

First Name
Zule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Job1 P4X MME, 22' MYP
Occupation
Implementation Engineer
Country flag
I know you asked Nick but I am going to chime in here too. The most weight I have ever put in the back so far is around 100 lbs and have had no issues. 250 lbs is quite a lot of weight and think you might want to keep it on the lower level which has more support. The 10" sounds really good and plays just about as loud as the 12" however the 12" does go quite a bit deeper if you are looking for that.
Hey I'll take anyone with experience in this; so that includes you. Yea the salt comes in 40lb bags and I normally do 5 or 6 bags. Round up a little for good measure. I think I saw in the soil thread someone collapsed it near 400lbs. But yet, I like the deeper 12" bass too. I have no care for thumping music; but I have a lot of stuff that has notes so low that most people never hear it but with the right setup you know it's there and "feel" it. Here's a good example song:

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hey I'll take anyone with experience in this; so that includes you. Yea the salt comes in 40lb bags and I normally do 5 or 6 bags. Round up a little for good measure. I think I saw in the soil thread someone collapsed it near 400lbs. But yet, I like the deeper 12" co too. I have no care for thumping music; but I have a lot of stuff that has notes so low that most people never hear it but with the right setup you know it's there and "feel" it. Here's a good example song:
You will absolutely have to go with the 12" if you want deeper bass. The 10" is a great sub but won't do what you want it to do. Even this particular 12" sub does not go super deep but it is the best you can do in that particular space.

I would get the 12" and then put some stand offs or little blocks of wood and attach one to each corner of the sub for support of the floor. They would need to be exactly 1 3/4" tall. I think I will take back what I said about that floor not holding your 250 lbs. of weight. I think the floor will do just fine with supports between it and the sub. You can also add some type of support just behind the sub on that middle hump to support the rear part of the floor.

Dear1nc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT PE
Country flag
I’m putting mine in now. @markboris you didn’t tell us how hard it is to get to the battery. Damn I’m the taking the whole frunk out I guess. ??‍?

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m putting mine in now. @markboris you didn’t tell us how hard it is to get to the battery. Damn I’m the taking the whole frunk out I guess. ??‍?
Sorry Nick, I guess I didn't explain about taking the frunk apart but I have literally had it apart so many times with the various projects I've done I forgot. As you can see though, it is very easy and does not take more than about 5-7 minutes. You remove both side and back panels (they just unclip). The storage bin has perimeter screws and a few behind the cover panels inside then unplug the connectors on the light and switch and lift it out.

Last edited:

jonnyboy7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Thank you for the wonderful post and the excellent discussion. My Mach E arrives in about six weeks and I intend, at a minimum, to have the PowerWedge+ added per markboris’ instructions (probably the 12”).

Are there any threads on this forum or elsewhere where folks have reported on swapping out the stock speakers and adding new amplification? (I couldn’t find any).

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thank you for the wonderful post and the excellent discussion. My Mach E arrives in about six weeks and I intend, at a minimum, to have the PowerWedge+ added per markboris’ instructions (probably the 12”).

Are there any threads on this forum or elsewhere where folks have reported on swapping out the stock speakers and adding new amplification? (I couldn’t find any).
I'm not aware of any but I would live with the system for awhile before you go changing things out. Adding the sub and tweaking the tone controls ends up giving you a decent system. As always, this depends on your idea of what a decent system sounds like and the type of music you listen to.

6stanleys

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E AWD Premium Carbonized Grey
Country flag
Thanks, MarkBoris, for the great recommendation and write up. I purchased the 10” sub from an online retailer and sent the link to this thread to a local installer. He installed everything just as you described (except I opted to have the OEM sub remain active) and i was able to pick it up today. Sounds great and really adds some nice lower thump. Appreciate how easy you made this for me. If you’re ever in the Des Moines area - I owe you a lunch!

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks, MarkBoris, for the great recommendation and write up. I purchased the 10” sub from an online retailer and sent the link to this thread to a local installer. He installed everything just as you described (except I opted to have the OEM sub remain active) and i was able to pick it up today. Sounds great and really adds some nice lower thump. Appreciate how easy you made this for me. If you’re ever in the Des Moines area - I owe you a lunch!
Jason, glad to hear it worked out well with your installer. Many don't like to be "shown" what to do but being a new car they were probably glad to have some guidance. I'm happy you're happy.

MyLittlePony2022

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 "Mach-E Auto" GTPE, Cyber Orange
Country flag
Yes, there was a discussion about the B&O system. People have swapped out speakers but I do not believe anyone has posted on how they did it and pictures. Elrod had the upgrade done and replaced the factory amp with a Audison amp.
Sponsored