Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
Cool modification! Not to be critical, but isn't that where you would want the ejector seat button?
I was thinking it would be a good spot for the trigger for my “frickin laser beams”

E04D0DDC-4610-40B7-A76E-16D6AE30760C.jpeg
Sponsored

T_to the_A

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mustang V6 Red Candy Metallic, 2021 Mach-e Premuim AWD St Range Shadow Black
Occupation
I sell wine
Country flag
Ok, you’ve got me now. I’ve lurked on your posts since the amazing write-up of the sub install (and now that I’m finally an owner and have formed some of my own habits w/ the car) THIS IS THE ONE.
You sir, are to be commended for your abilities to not only dig into and take some liberty with interior parts panels, but also your wiring loom splices are most impressive. I’m not quite up to doing this mod this weekend, but it certainly will be ‘coming soon’!
Very much appreciate your level of detail and superb pix to accompany.
You just might convince me yet to pop that JBL powered sub in the tire well area, the V6 in my profile pic is the only car since 1988 I’ve not upgraded some power to the stereo with. Love messing around w/ 12v systems—not certain I’m up to the task w/ a BEV. ?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
... ventilated seats. So how hard would it be to add this? Do they make after market ventilated fans/systems?
I found 12v heating/cooling seat cover.... it actually works pretty well, but the fan is a bit bulky, and it further reduces the shoulder bolstering depth because the pad is about 1/2 thick.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cooling+auto+seat+cover

I've order new seats that are lighter, better bolster, and micro-suede (breathable) fabric. I'll start a new thread when they come in and I get around to installing them.

Last edited:

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
rarely need to open or close it from the inside. ... found that both momentary switches in the rear hatch do nothing more than short an incoming wire from the BCM to ground.

excellent writeup!

I camped in my MME a couple days ago, and slept inside.... It sure would have been nice to have a switch inside, preferably in the back somewhere shifting cargo could not accidently trigger it, that would unlatch the hatch.

I do not have a power lift, but I WOULD like to unlock from inside so I could pushthe hatch up from inside and bail right out the back rather than contort myself around with limited headroom to exit via passenger door!

OlyPen

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E Premium Extended
Country flag
I *do* miss having the ability to easily open and close the back hatch with button. Like when the nice people deliver the groceries into the back and don't know how to open or close it. But, at least it's not the switch that was in my VW Tiguan that opened the back hatch, but didn't close it! I guess no switch (outside of the center screen) is better than a dedicated switch that could only open it. LOL

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Is there safety involved so that this button doesn't pop the trunk when driving?

DJJeffT

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Grabber Blue (hers) & FE Carbonized Grey (his)
Country flag
Is there safety involved so that this button doesn't pop the trunk when driving?
That is built into the Ford tech. I think the vehicle needs to be in PARK for you to open it.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The vehicle needs so be in Park and doors unlocked for the liftgate to open. The car can be either on or off.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I *do* miss having the ability to easily open and close the back hatch with button. Like when the nice people deliver the groceries into the back and don't know how to open or close it. But, at least it's not the switch that was in my VW Tiguan that opened the back hatch, but didn't close it! I guess no switch (outside of the center screen) is better than a dedicated switch that could only open it. LOL
The best options are the center screen
Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 12.08.06 PM

and the home page of your FordPass app.

DJJeffT

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks to the OP @markboris I completed this mod on our two FE's this am.

First one took a bit as I was learning and needed a third hand to hold the flashlight while installing the button, as I drilled the hole JUST a bit too high. All good, but the button doesn't sit 100% flush.

Second one took about 45 minutes and I didn't need the third hand as I drilled the hole in the proper spot. Button sits 100% flush.

My wife and I will enjoy having this feature back as we have had on our previous Lincoln's and Ford's.

Kudos Mark.

Jeff

Here's the pic of the Grabber Blue button:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch hatch button

PizzaCake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda3
Country flag
Mark: Nice write-up. Do you find your wire wrapping more reliable than something like a Posi-Tap? What do you use to cover the splices?

Jeff: Where did you find that blue switch?

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mark: Nice write-up. Do you find your wire wrapping more reliable than something like a Posi-Tap? What do you use to cover the splices?
I wrapped the wire for testing purposes to make sure everything worked. I would use a Posi-Tap to splice in though.

DJJeffT

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Got the

Jeff: Where did you find that blue switch?
Switches...,blue and red.from Amazon.

Search Twidec momentary switch. I also used the in line tap vs splicing.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
How does one open the console?
Sponsored