Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
There are a couple things we had on the Cmax that I miss. The brake coach display and the button for the hatch back! The other thing we had that I don’t miss would be the pano roof power sunshade! Lol
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
There is of course also the physical button at the hatch itself, which works fine with the vehicle powered off and not locked.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
I'm about to take this a step farther. Ordered a headlight switch from a Bronco with No Foglights, instead of a max defrost, there's a hatch button. I don't see myself ever using the max defrost over on that side.
Part number: M1PZ11654AA. Pin Number 12 would go to your BCM connection.

edit: the 2021 explorer might have a more accurate picture on the hatch button.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch IMG-0467

Last edited:
OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for the info Pat. I saw that part in a Bronco a few weeks ago and was thinking of possibly using it for the lift gate release but since I already have a button, I decided not to but I may get bored and want to pursue this. I will check out the Explorer part too. Thanks again.

gverrault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e Premium RWD
Country flag
Mark,

Would a switch like this work?

https://billetautomotivebuttons.com...h-text-logo-symbol-etc?variant=29515301355618

I like that they do custom logos on the button and was thinking it would be possible to get one printed up that matched the Mach-E. Maybe one for both the trunk and frunk.

I don't know if two buttons would fit but the right side of the headlight switch panel seems like a good place to put a switch.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mark,

Would a switch like this work?

https://billetautomotivebuttons.com...h-text-logo-symbol-etc?variant=29515301355618

I like that they do custom logos on the button and was thinking it would be possible to get one printed up that matched the Mach-E. Maybe one for both the trunk and frunk.

I don't know if two buttons would fit but the right side of the headlight switch panel seems like a good place to put a switch.

Thoughts?
Yes it would but order the momentary one, not the latching one. That is a fairly large switch, about 7/8".

TTT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMC-12, 75 Monza, 17 Volt, 22 MMe Prem. ordered
Occupation
Imagineer
Country flag
HI Jeff, I usually get them at factory-manuals.com but there are other places you can them also.
I don't suppose there is enough information there to figure out a pushbutton trigger for the 360 camera?

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't suppose there is enough information there to figure out a pushbutton trigger for the 360 camera?
Hey Tom, actually I have been working on that on and off for over a month. The F-150 has the same Sync system and similar cameras and a hard button on the dash to turn on the cameras. I figured I would look into it and try to get it to work. I have the wiring diagrams and service manuals for both the 2021 Mach-E and F-150.

I found out the IPMA (Image Processing Module) in the Mach-E is the same one as in the F-150 however there is just one wire that is missing going to it in the Mach-E and that is the one that turns on the cameras for the F-150. I put a pin and wire into the connector of the module in the Mach-E and attached to ground which turns on the cameras in the F-150 and nothing. I have talked to a couple of our most knowledgeable members here and gotten some advice on using Forscan to change a few things but still no dice. Bottom line is, I think the F-150 module is just programmed differently than the one in the Mach-E. My next step was actually going to purchase an IPMA for the F-150 and try it out in the Mach-E as they aren't that expensive but I have a lot going on and just don't have a lot more time to put into it right now. It won't be until middle of January before I'm going to work on it again.

Reactions: TTT

TTT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMC-12, 75 Monza, 17 Volt, 22 MMe Prem. ordered
Occupation
Imagineer
Country flag
Hey Tom, actually I have been working on that on and off for over a month.
That's fantastic. Appreciate that you are able to make the car better in so many ways.

If Ford understands to include the button in the Lightning, I suppose we could hope they are adding it for the '22 model year.

I suspect that the module swap will come with its own challenges. The cameras are typically not designed to warp the image optically, that is likely done in the IPMA along with the blending from the cameras. There are camera calibration procedures but they may be difficult to replicate at home, and the F150 module may have firmware baked in to allow the taller and larger F150 camera positions to work but not have enough adjustability to accommodate the locations on the lower car. The image may well pop up with a pickup truck in the middle of the display instead of the MMe.

Again, thanks for working on this.

Last edited:

T_to the_A

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mustang V6 Red Candy Metallic, 2021 Mach-e Premuim AWD St Range Shadow Black
Occupation
I sell wine
Country flag
Mark — thanks so very much for your detailed write up & photos.
I will need to buy a grommet to cover the slight blowout that happened when I drilled the hole through the console for the switch. Aside from some difficulties in attaching a splice to the extremely thin brown wire, I accomplished this in about an hour and a half SOLELY DUE TO YOUR EXCELLENT guidance.
Very happy (and yet still can’t believe that this wasn’t standard equipment,)
again thanks & cheers.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch 55BC4D5F-29A2-4936-8DF1-80FA21583BE0

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The external momentary switch for the rear hatch I installed in my Premium worked great but for my GT I decided to go the route that Pat (i8iridium) went a few posts above. Beings the GT has a slightly different headlamp switch assembly (has a traction control switch), I had to make a slight modification.

I bought the Bronco headlamp switch assembly (M1PZ-11654-AA). I removed the headlamp switch assembly out of my car and took it and the Bronco switches both apart. I replaced the Max Defrost sub switch on mine with the Hatch opening/closing sub switch of the Bronco's. They just snap in and out of the main switch assembly. On the connector at the back of the switch assembly, I installed a wire into Pin 12 and ran that to the brown wire at the top connector of the BCM.

This switch will open and close the liftgate when the car is on or off as long as the doors are unlocked and it is in park.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch IMG_6528

Last edited:

coachluke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
05 Ford Mustang, 22 Premium Grabber Blue SR RWD
Country flag
The external momentary switch for the rear hatch I installed in my Premium worked great but for my GT I decided to go the route that Pat (i8iridium) went a few posts above. Beings the GT has a slightly different headlamp switch assembly (has a traction control switch), I had to make a slight modification.

I bought the Bronco headlamp switch assembly (M1PZ-11654-AA). I removed the headlamp switch assembly out of my car and took it and the Bronco switches both apart. I replaced the Max Defrost sub switch on mine with the Hatch opening/closing sub switch of the Bronco's. They just snap in and out of the main switch assembly. On the connector at the back of the switch assembly, I installed a wire into Pin 12 and ran that to the brown wire at the top connector of the BCM.

IMG_6528.jpeg
Hey Mark, thanks for posting these awesome mods. Was wondering if swapping out the switch was just a cosmetic thing? Like is it possible to do the wiring without replacing the button and just use the defrost switch as the trunk release?

Last edited:
OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hey Mark, thanks for posting these awesome mods. Was wondering if swapping out the switch was just a cosmetic thing? Like is it possible to do the wiring without replacing the button and just use the defrost switch as the trunk release?
HI Luke, I really don't know. I didn't try to see if pushing the defrost switch would give me a signal at pin 12 to use like the trunk switch does. If I had to guess, I bet it would. The only way I can find out is by reinstalling the defrost switch and trying it. That would make things even easier not having to replace the switch. I am out of town until the middle of next week but when I get back and have a bit of time I will check it out and let you know.

Last edited:

coachluke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
05 Ford Mustang, 22 Premium Grabber Blue SR RWD
Country flag
HI Luke, I really don't know. I didn't try to see if pushing the defrost switch would give me a signal at pin 12 to use like the trunk switch does. If I had to guess, I bet it would. The only way I can find out is by reinstalling the defrost switch and trying it. That would make things even easier not having to replace the switch. Also it would not have anything to do with activating the defrost since the car has to be completely off for the liftgate to open and obviously the defrost wont work in that condition. I am out of town until the middle of next week but when I get back and have a bit of time I will check it out and let you know.
Thanks for getting back to me Mark! Look forward to hearing from you.
Sponsored