mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I don't see the need for an interior button for the liftgate at all. I'll use the main screen, the button below the liftgate, or kick the car in the rear end. But apparently, a fair number of people do see a need. All the more power to them.
Curious - do you ever use the max defrost button that we are replacing? I have never used it, and there is a button in the main screen that is just as easy to hit. Easier in fact.
Sponsored

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Curious - do you ever use the max defrost button that we are replacing? I have never used it, and there is a button in the main screen that is just as easy to hit. Easier in fact.
Things are different here. I think I’ve used the max defrost once. I used the screen button. It’s very temperate here, although humid, and the automatic system works well without freezing you.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Found a bit of time today to get this done. I can confirm that Ford Explorer part # LB5T13D061NB does work perfectly fine.

Going to add in the pix i took incase it helps anyone else out. I had some issues figuring out how to run the cable at first until i took off mutiple panels.

Thanks markboris and i8iridium for figuring all this out =)
Thanks to you, @markboris, and @i8iridium I was able to do this too. I purchased the light cluster with Liftgate button on eBay (I presume it was from a wreck), and followed your and Mark's very helpful posts. On the driver side, I ran my wire under the dash in a rubber cable channel at the junction between the under dash trim piece and the footwell. So the wire didn't need to go under the carpet. I wrapped with electrical tape anywhere that I thought might wear, as well as taped the wire in areas that I thought might either wear or rattle. And like you, I just stuck the wire into the back of the connector, though I did bend the wire into a zig-zag in order to create higher pressure contact points with the pin of the connector, and then taped the wire to the rest of the harness. Hopefully that will work for the long term, though if you find the right pin size, I'd love to know!

I don't know how anyone could do this job in an hour! Took me about three, but then I'm not typically doing this sort of work and I had to do it on a level(ish) cross street since working in my garage/driveway/street is infeasible!

Nonetheless, I'm pleased with the results. It looks like the button has always been there (as it should have been). :)

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Awesome John, glad it all worked out for you. However, now that you have done it, I bet it would only take you an hour to do it again! 😊

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Awesome John, glad it all worked out for you. However, now that you have done it, I bet it would only take you an hour to do it again! 😊
Thanks, but I'm kinda slow at the stuff - and working on the street is less than ideal!

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Look what came in today! 😊🐩

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch 7BE0B99C-EA80-4667-96E6-A591A39B35FC

Now I just need to get some female wire terminations and some wire. 🤪🐩

Flyboy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job-2 Mach E Premium, AWD Ext Battery
Occupation
Retired Industrial Hygienist, Consultant - ISO 17025 Lab Auditor
Country flag
Eric, are you serious? Not sure if you were being funny but that shouldn't be an issue. I would just need to look at the wiring diagrams and see if it's possible.
Yes, I am serious! I am in the process of mounting on on my Tiffin Motorhome for the same reason. My theory is that the passenger horn button is a more effective solution because it should eliminate the passenger yelling and causing a driver distraction. The horn sound would alert the other driver and reduce the likelihood of an accident happening. I am open to any opinions, but my theory comes from both flying & driving with passengers that often see things before operator.

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Yes, I am serious! I am in the process of mounting on on my Tiffin Motorhome for the same reason. My theory is that the passenger horn button is a more effective solution because it should eliminate the passenger yelling and causing a driver distraction. The horn sound would alert the other driver and reduce the likelihood of an accident happening. I am open to any opinions, but my theory comes from both flying & driving with passengers that often see things before operator.
I would have to be far more selective of who I let in my car if I installed such a thing.

So rife for abuse with the crowd I usually run with!

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Alright Eric, if you want a second horn button, here is how to do it:

You need to tap into a Green/White wire at C2280D connector in the BCM (Body Control Module).
The BCM is located behind a panel where the front passengers feet are. To remove that panel, you first have to remove the under dash panel which has two clips. Pull it down and out then grab the plastic panel over the BCM and pull it straight out. The C2280D connector is the large one on the bottom. Carefully remove about 2" of the black cloth wrap that is around the wires and find the Green/White wire (Green with very very thin White stripe).

Here is the tricky part, there are TWO of those colored wires in this connector. The one you want is slightly thinner than the other. Attach a wire to the Green/White wire (however you want to do that) and short it to ground. The horn should work as soon as you do this. If it doesn't, you have the wrong wire so connect it to the other one. You won't mess up anything if you short the wrong wire to ground. Then of course all you need to do is install a momentary switch wherever you want, and run the wire from the Green/White wire to one side of the switch and a ground wire to the other side.

I have verified this works (like I do all mods I post) so have at it and let us know how it turns out.

I have orientated the photo below how the BCM looks when you remove the panel. Again, it is the bottom connector C2280D.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 3.00.13 PM

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Alright Eric, if you want a second horn button, here is how to do it:

You need to tap into a Green/White wire at C2280D connector in the BCM (Body Control Module).
The BCM is located behind a panel where the front passengers feet are. To remove that panel, you first have to remove the under dash panel which has two clips. Pull it down and out then grab the plastic panel over the BCM and pull it straight out. The C2280D connector is the large one on the bottom. Carefully remove about 2" of the black cloth wrap that is around the wires and find the Green/White wire (Green with very very thin White stripe).

Here is the tricky part, there are TWO of those colored wires in this connector. The one you want is slightly thinner than the other. Attach a wire to the Green/White wire (however you want to do that) and short it to ground. The horn should work as soon as you do this. If it doesn't, you have the wrong wire so connect it to the other one. You won't mess up anything if you short the wrong wire to ground. Then of course all you need to do is install a momentary switch wherever you want, and run the wire from the Green/White wire to one side of the switch and a ground wire to the other side.

I have verified this works (like I do all mods I post) so have at it and let us know how it turns out.

I have orientated the photo below how the BCM looks when you remove the panel. Again, it is the bottom connector C2280D.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 3.00.13 PM
There is no way I am giving my passenger, primarily my wife, horn control capability. First of all, whomever she honks at will think it is me honking. And I might not agree with the honk. And secondly, if I am driving, I am in control of the honk. Period.

Eric, not only share the success of the mod, but the success with how it is used. I cannot imagine it is anything but more stressful for the driver.

Mark, you rock.

Flyboy

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job-2 Mach E Premium, AWD Ext Battery
Occupation
Retired Industrial Hygienist, Consultant - ISO 17025 Lab Auditor
Country flag
Ditto Mark, you rock.
unfortunately this little poject will have waiy for few weeks for my shoulder to heal up from surgery.

About 2 months ago I mounted voltmeter next to the USB-C plug just to be able to monitor the Low V Battery condition. Works great, but I couldn't find the space to mount horizontal & was too cheep to buy a smaller display. Tied into either fuse 5 or 6 in the BCM (can't remember), but it was one of the only circuts that shut off with car. Normally charged it reads 12.4 to 12.8. With Accy draw (headlghts, fan, A/C, etc), goes up to 14.2 to 14.4, as it charges back up steps to 13.3 then 12.8 ish. the display doesnt dim so mounting it low keeps it from being a distraction.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch 1654977564486

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch 1654977609517

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch 1654977659462

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
OK, procrastination over with:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch C3018AB7-90C3-48E6-803C-99AEB5C9C9E0
Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch 47C33FDF-2089-466B-AD1D-F8F0531E1F70

I busted three of the retaining posts for the driver’s side panel, so don’t be like me:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch 944C92F7-2E62-428A-9AD7-2A5ED5587F53

I bought a big roll of brown wire and used like 6 or so feet of it. 🤪🐩 I had to use the same color as went into the BCM. 😊🐩

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OK, procrastination over with:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding an inside Liftgate Power Switch 944C92F7-2E62-428A-9AD7-2A5ED5587F53

I busted three of the retaining posts for the driver’s side panel, so don’t be like me:

I bought a big roll of brown wire and used like 6 or so feet of it. 🤪🐩 I had to use the same color as went into the BCM. 😊🐩
Great work! Too bad about the panel. I am still procrastinating - I have had the switch for a couple months now. And then there might be a fix for the switch assembly that stops the lights on bug, which I guess means those of us who actually do the mod won't get Ford to pay for the updated switch.

VN210

First Name
Minh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E CR1, F-150 Lightning Pro (ordered 8/13/22)
Country flag
Hello,

Looks nice and OEM Steve.

anyone think ford will add voice command for opening the liftgate? I think so, I’ve tried today and the response I received made me think they will.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Great work! Too bad about the panel. I am still procrastinating - I have had the switch for a couple months now. And then there might be a fix for the switch assembly that stops the lights on bug, which I guess means those of us who actually do the mod won't get Ford to pay for the updated switch.
I am hanging on to the defroster switch and will swap it back in if I ever get a headlight switch recall notice. 😊🐩
Sponsored