Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I realized after I saw the beautiful interior photos of the Mercedes EQS thread, I figured I would make one on how I added some accent lighting in my car. I went with the color ice blue for two reasons. One, to match all the switch lighting and the down-lights in the overhead console (which are all ice blue and cannot be changed). Two, I wanted the EL wire to be clear when off. The only two strip lights that are clear when not powered (from this company) are white and ice blue.

I purchased the EL wire from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B4CX5GB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1)
and did all four doors and the upper instrument panel trim. For the doors I inserted the EL wire in the crack just below the chrome trim. It is a press fit and went in fairly easy. For the drivers door I tapped into the illumination wiring at the door lock switch. Blue/Green +, Black/Viloet - and passenger door lock switch, Violet/White +, Black/White -. Both rear doors were not easy at all. I could not tap into the wires that I used for the rear door ambient lighting that I installed a few months back ( #1 ) as it was too much of a load adding this EL wire to that circuit. The rear doors get some of the electrical from the front doors and had to add a relay in both front doors to send more power to the rear doors for one of the circuits. I actually won't go into detail on this as it was quite a bit of extra work and a PITA to do. For the instrument panel trim, I removed it then hot glued the EL wire under the chrome strip on the panel trim so it would match at the same level and continue the lighting to the doors. The wiring for that I tapped into the bottom connector of the BCM, Violet/Gray for + and the top connector, Black/Yellow for -.

Since they are connected to the switch lighting circuit, they can be dimmed from the headlight panel dimmer switch.

Took these photos with my phone which is not the best at capturing the lighting like this. It does look better in person. Last two are close up of before and after on the door trim.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding Interior Accent Lighting IMG_6336

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding Interior Accent Lighting IMG_6339D

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding Interior Accent Lighting IMG_6333

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding Interior Accent Lighting IMG_6347

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding Interior Accent Lighting IMG_6346

Last edited:

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
Looks great. How many feet did you have to buy?

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Looks great. How many feet did you have to buy?
The Amazon link in my post above for those strip lights are 6.5 feet each. I bought 5, one for each door and one for the dash. I did not cut the extra, it's just coiled up behind the doors and the dash what was left.

Last edited:
OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
nice job! Although, if I tried that my car would probably be a wreck afterwards.
The doors are really easy to do. The upper instrument panel on the other hand was kind of a pain. It has 22 clips and 4 push pins. Not sure why they decided to use so many to keep down a plastic part but is on there really good. It just lifts up but you have to use a lot of pressure with your trim removal tool. Hot gluing the neon rope light across the bottom edge so it is perfectly straight is time consuming.

Last edited:

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
UPDATE:

After taking a few interior photos I noticed that not all of the light ropes were exactly the same hue in color. While they look the same to my eyes, in the photos the hue was slightly off on two of the five I have in the car. One of them was the dash speaker grill. I got a spare speaker grill so I can spend some time with it trying to figure out an easier way to attach the rope light instead of hot gluing it like I did the first time. By the way, the hot glue does not stick well to the chrome plastic trim anyway so it was easy to scrape off. I am waiting for a couple of more rope lights to come in to make sure I get one that is the same hue as the ones on the doors.

Some photos I did not upload before.

IMG_6391.jpeg

IMG_6394.jpeg

IMG_6374.jpeg

First Name
Khalil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E California Route 1
Country flag
I just got my car last week and was missing the lights in my old car so this is definitely on my mid list. Great job, it looks awesome!

Did you have any pics to show where the instrument panel trim light would be tapping into the BCM exactly? I haven’t taken anything apart yet and want to be sure I’m tapping into the right wires.

YoTech

First Name
Youssef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Extended Range Red
Country flag
Hi, I just do the same upgrade to my mach e but I have a problem... I started from the drivers door, tapping into the illumination wiring at the door lock switch, Blue/Green, Black/Viloet wires, it seems to not have necessary power for the EL strip, even the door lock light turns off and flash lightly once every 5 seconds with the stripe.
So i trien to window control switch, there my el turns on, (very very nice effect) so I close everything and.... noticed that it never turns off :rolleyes:.
Any suggestions?
My purchase:
DC 12V EL Wire Inverter El Wire Driver EL Panel Drive

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hi, I just do the same upgrade to my mach e but I have a problem... I started from the drivers door, tapping into the illumination wiring at the door lock switch, Blue/Green, Black/Viloet wires, it seems to not have necessary power for the EL strip, even the door lock light turns off and flash lightly once every 5 seconds with the stripe.
So i trien to window control switch, there my el turns on, (very very nice effect) so I close everything and.... noticed that it never turns off :rolleyes:.
Any suggestions?
My purchase:
DC 12V EL Wire Inverter El Wire Driver EL Panel Drive
Hi Youssef, I am thinking the EL strip you are using is pulling too much power for the circuit you are attaching it to? You have to use an EL strip similar to the one I used. Unfortunately I cannot look at this in detail right now as I am out of town until Wednesday next week. I have noticed that European Mach-E's have had different wiring and wire colors than what we have here in the US. I ran into this with a member in Sweden. You may have to connect to different wires. If you don't have it figured out by next Wednesday, give me a shout. While I am away I will also try to look into it a bit for you.

Aren't you up a little late if you are in Milan right now? I am going to be there in a couple of weeks with some friends and visiting some friends just for a day. I am hoping the weather warms up a bit more than it has been there. ?

I shot another photo of with all the lighting on a few weeks ago.

IMG_0332D.jpg

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Don’t know how I missed this thread originally but I will say, “Damn you Mark.” Now you got me thinking.

YoTech

First Name
Youssef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi Youssef, I am thinking the EL strip you are using is pulling too much power for the circuit you are attaching it to? You have to use an EL strip similar to the one I used. Unfortunately I cannot look at this in detail right now as I am out of town until Wednesday next week. I have noticed that European Mach-E's have had different wiring and wire colors than what we have here in the US. I ran into this with a member in Sweden. You may have to connect to different wires. If you don't have it figured out by next Wednesday, give me a shout. While I am away I will also try to look into it a bit for you.

Aren't you up a little late if you are in Milan right now? I am going to be there in a couple of weeks with some friends and visiting some friends just for a day. I am hoping the weather warms up a bit more than it has been there. ?

I shot another photo of with all the lighting on a few weeks ago.
First of all thanks for the fast reply, I think that the EL strip is like yours in absorption (i hope but eventually I can buy another one) because connecting it as said to the window block worked well (the problem that was always on) Here’s a photo I shot yesterday:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding Interior Accent Lighting F41396AB-21A3-44F5-81A4-F2E2428D2E3E

I really think that I will wait for your return on Wednesday because I've been there to try so hard and I'm going crazy for it :,).
Yes yesterday it was 1 in the morning here, I was really exhausted for this I will only answer you now.
I hope for you to come on a hot day, in this period the temperatures are very variable, one day it's almost hot the other you have to put on a jacket ahah

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
First of all thanks for the fast reply, I think that the EL strip is like yours in absorption (i hope but eventually I can buy another one) because connecting it as said to the window block worked well (the problem that was always on) Here’s a photo I shot yesterday:

I really think that I will wait for your return on Wednesday because I've been there to try so hard and I'm going crazy for it :,).
Yes yesterday it was 1 in the morning here, I was really exhausted for this I will only answer you now.
I hope for you to come on a hot day, in this period the temperatures are very variable, one day it's almost hot the other you have to put on a jacket ahah
Are you only having this problem with only the drivers door or also the passenger door? I see you did the dash too? That looks really good. I didn't look if you used the same exact EL wire as I used. If so then I assume your wiring is a bit different but I will definitely help you out.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hey Youssef, so I spend a bit of time researching the wiring in the drivers door and I cannot see anywhere else you can connect your EL wire to except the ones I suggested at the door lock switch. The only variable here is your particular EL wire. It looks just the same as might with the same connectors but there has to be something different. Do you have the short 1m EL wire? Did you have your dash dimmer set to a lower level? I am not sure what to tell you. Does your passenger door have the same issue?

YoTech

First Name
Youssef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry I have been very busy these days, however today I managed to try again on the different doors, same results, in addition I armed myself with a current tester and made various measurements:

Here is the test of lock block as is without EL wires:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding Interior Accent Lighting IMG_9117

Once i plug in this wire the EL module the tension instantly falls to 0,36V (lock block turns off and have to restart the car to got it work again):
Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding Interior Accent Lighting IMG_9116

Thing that not happen with the windows block, without EL:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding Interior Accent Lighting IMG_9118

With EL (it works but never goes off there):
Ford Mustang Mach-E Adding Interior Accent Lighting IMG_9119

I ordered another different controller: MASUNN Dc 12V Controller di unità per 1-10M LED Striscia Luce El Wire Bagliore Neon Flessibile Decor , the only difference is that that one is silent...
Any clue from you? ahahah

YoTech

First Name
Youssef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you can't see differences between mine configuration and yours I think I will buy your exact wires from amazon.us to try it, maybe they are special ?
Sponsored

Last edited: