Additional clarity on PSE&G providing up to $1500 for EVSE install

Porky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV
Country flag
@Porky, just coming back to these--can you point me to where you saw these? I can't find either of these points on the PSE&G site but may not be looking at the same web page as you.
There you go sir. You may need to login.

PSE&G - Customer Electric Vehicle (pseg.com)

BTW, I emailed the program administrators and they confirmed that F-222A is the permit.
Sponsored

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
There you go sir. You may need to login.

PSE&G - Customer Electric Vehicle (pseg.com)

BTW, I emailed the program administrators and they confirmed that F-222A is the permit.
Thanks, very helpful! Didn't need to log in. Good find--curious how you got to that page, I didn't see a link to it on the main page that @NewGuy posted but may have missed it. The more we can all learn about this and share with each other the better, so appreciate the back and forth. And interesting about the permit--sounds like the electrician needs to pull a permit and have the installation inspected, which is probably a good idea anyway in case something goes wrong.

Now with respect to your other other question about combining the Fed tax credit with this program, my read of #5 is that this would be capped at 90% of the cost of the install, which is interesting since it sounds like even if you don't use the Fed credit, PSE&G will still only reimburse for 90% of the cost (up to $1500). I didn't see that 90% stipulation anywhere on their other page: https://nj.myaccount.pseg.com/myservicepublic/electricvehicles

5. Incentive Conditions. Participant shall fully disclose all governmental or public funding it has sought or will seek in connection with the Residential Program. If governmental or public funding has been obtained, then in no case shall the combination of (a) any Federal funding, (b) other State, any other government entity, or New Jersey Clean Energy Program incentive funding, and (c) Incentives provided as part of this Residential Program (excluding program incentive financing) exceed more than 90% of an installation or project’s costs. If it is determined that any combination of a, b, and c, would exceed 90% of the total project cost, the Parties agree that PSE&G’s Incentive, as set forth in c above, will be reduced to bring the total combined government, public, and PSE&G funding to under 90% of the total project cost.

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

NJDevFan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium ER, '19 Highlander Hybrid
Country flag
Do any of you happen to have solar installed and know how the "Credit on charging during off-peak periods" interacts with net metering?

Are they giving a $/kWh credit on your bill for off-hours charging or are they giving a reduced rate?

We've got solar installed and to date our production has always exceeded our usage so we don't pay for power. Expecting that to change this year with the MME though. I'm curious if the off-hours charging benefit comes into play if you're net positive or it's not relevant until you're net negative and pulling more (and paying for) power from the grid.

UPDATE 11/15/21: In case any solar users stumble upon this, I got the following feedback from the program administrator:

"A customer cannot receive an off-peak credit that would bring their monthly bill below $0 when coupled with the net metering. All of the current metering would stay in place.

The off-peak charging credit will follow our current residential tariff rate known as Residential Load Management (RLM), which provides variable rates depending on the time of use. We will apply the RLM rate to the charging usage for both the on-peak and off-peak charging each month. Any net credit will be applied to the bill while a net bill increase will be ignored."

Last edited:

Porky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV
Country flag
So, I got a few quotes and got an electrician to instal a 50amp breaker in my basement panel and run a 240v line from there to my garage. Cost me about $1,500 including the permit. I installed a ChargePoint Homeflex, which is on PSE&G NJ's list of approved chargers. I applied to PSE&G NJ a couple of weeks ago and was approved yesterday. The EVSE was about $750 after taxes so total cost was approx $2,250.

I am a tightwad so I bought my Kia Niro EV specifically because of the $7,500 federal tax incentive that applied to Kias and did not apply to the Tesla in 2020. That and the $5,000 NJ rebate that started in 2020 and NJ does not have sales tax on EVs. Also, the $1,500 cash back does not apply to a Tesla Wall Charger.

I haven't received my reimbursement check yet but I am happy to answer any answers you guys have.

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So, I got a few quotes and got an electrician to instal a 50amp breaker in my basement panel and run a 240v line from there to my garage. Cost me about $1,500 including the permit. I installed a ChargePoint Homeflex, which is on PSE&G NJ's list of approved chargers. I applied to PSE&G NJ a couple of weeks ago and was approved yesterday. The EVSE was about $750 after taxes so total cost was approx $2,250.

I am a tightwad so I bought my Kia Niro EV specifically because of the $7,500 federal tax incentive that applied to Kias and did not apply to the Tesla in 2020. That and the $5,000 NJ rebate that started in 2020 and NJ does not have sales tax on EVs. Also, the $1,500 cash back does not apply to a Tesla Wall Charger.

I haven't received my reimbursement check yet but I am happy to answer any answers you guys have.
Thanks for the follow-up, nice to hear your progress. Was the distance from the panel to the charger far? $1500 seems pricey but this is NJ and they also may know about the PSEG program and so up charge. Just curious, I thought I read somewhere that PSEG refunds 90% of the install cost up to $1500. Is that right? Also you should be able to get the Federal tax break on the Chargepoint (30% if I recall).

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag
Thanks for the follow-up, nice to hear your progress. Was the distance from the panel to the charger far? $1500 seems pricey but this is NJ and they also may know about the PSEG program and so up charge. Just curious, I thought I read somewhere that PSEG refunds 90% of the install cost up to $1500. Is that right? Also you should be able to get the Federal tax break on the Chargepoint (30% if I recall).
PSEG gave me the full $1500...even though cost of install plus permit was just shy of $1500. ?‍♂

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
PSEG gave me the full $1500...even though cost of install plus permit was just shy of $1500. ?‍♂
Awesome! Thanks for the follow up.

NewGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ready to order
Country flag
Awesome! Thanks for the follow up.
I’ll say that the thought of getting money, or answers out of a utility is enough to send shivers down my spine, but PSEG was great through the entire process. They answered every email I sent thoroughly and once I got all my forms in, I had the credit in days.

Porky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV
Country flag
My install and permit cost came out to $1460. PSE&G applied the credit to my account a few weeks ago. Another person I know called PSE&G and received a check instead. I am fine with the account credit. Works either way with me.

OP
OP

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wonder if the electricians know that $1500 is what will be covered so charge close to that.

Rayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag

Sorry to revive an old thread but maybe this will be noticed...are there any electricians you recommend? I'm in North Jersey and looking to schedule an electrician to install my ChargePoint Homeflex as well
Sponsored