Additional payment of principal balance for Ford Options

garfieldorlando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Country flag
Thinking about making addition principal payments to save some interest. Will it lower the monthly payment amount or it will be instead applied to the final balloon payment?
Sponsored

OP
OP

garfieldorlando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e
Country flag
The latter, and in doing so, that will save you some interest.
I see, thanks. But that also means no much benefit if I decide to return the car at the end, which sound like I am paying more out of the pocket actually, unless I pay the final balloon payment to pay it off.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
I see, thanks. But that also means no much benefit if I decide to return the car at the end, which sound like I am paying more out of the pocket actually, unless I pay the final balloon payment to pay it off.
Yup, that's how I understand it, too.

There is an option to make one extra payment towards principal in coordination with Ford Credit, to have them modify your remaining payment schedule. I believe you can only do this one time. It's intended for people who want to modify the loan by sending in their $7,500 tax credit in exchange for reduced monthly payments.

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Yup, that's how I understand it, too.

There is an option to make one extra payment towards principal in coordination with Ford Credit, to have them modify your remaining payment schedule. I believe you can only do this one time. It's intended for people who want to modify the loan by sending in their $7,500 tax credit in exchange for reduced monthly payments.
This is good info, since I was under the impression it went against the balloon as well. Could help appease my wife if I throw another $9500 down now to lower the payment, since she didn't love the $700+ a month lol. And wasn't enthused when I explained that when you take into account the $7500 tax credit and $2k California Rebate we'll EVENTUALLY get that it's actually $197 cheaper over the 4 years ??

Gino_A

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt, 2021 MME 2021 Pacifica, 2011 Silverado
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thinking about making addition principal payments to save some interest. Will it lower the monthly payment amount or it will be instead applied to the final balloon payment?
Today, June 7, 2021, I found out that you cannot make principal-only payments to reduce the interest cost on a Ford Options loan. This is very disappointing because on May 18, 2021, I was told by a Ford Credit representative that I could make a principal-only payment and that Ford Credit would "rewrite" the loan to reduce my monthly payments while leaving the balloon payment intact. So I made an online $19K principal-only payment on May 18, 2021. When I called today to have my monthly payment reduced to reflect my principal-only payment while leaving the balloon payment alone, I was informed by another Ford Credit representative that it is not possible for Ford Credit to do that. The Ford Credit representative stated that the $19K that they received could be applied to future payment (which would include principal and interest). The Ford Credit representative agreed with me that making payments before they are due would only benefit Ford Credit, not me. The only way I could reduce the interest expense on my Ford Options loan is to pay the whole loan (including the balloon amount) in full. In my opinion, the Ford Options is NOT a simple interest loan with a balloon, it is a pre-computed interest loan with a balloon. In other words, the interest amount you pay cannot be reduced if you want to keep the balloon payment intact. Maybe Ford Credit will make a change in the future but for now, there is no benefit for paying more than what is due each month on a Ford Options loan. At least Ford Credit will refund my principal-only payment. However, it will take at least 10 days for me to receive a check, which gives Ford Credit even more time with my money.

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
Today, June 7, 2021, I found out that you cannot make principal-only payments to reduce the interest cost on a Ford Options loan. This is very disappointing because on May 18, 2021, I was told by a Ford Credit representative that I could make a principal-only payment and that Ford Credit would "rewrite" the loan to reduce my monthly payments while leaving the balloon payment intact. So I made an online $19K principal-only payment on May 18, 2021. When I called today to have my monthly payment reduced to reflect my principal-only payment while leaving the balloon payment alone, I was informed by another Ford Credit representative that it is not possible for Ford Credit to do that. The Ford Credit representative stated that the $19K that they received could be applied to future payment (which would include principal and interest). The Ford Credit representative agreed with me that making payments before they are due would only benefit Ford Credit, not me. The only way I could reduce the interest expense on my Ford Options loan is to pay the whole loan (including the balloon amount) in full. In my opinion, the Ford Options is NOT a simple interest loan with a balloon, it is a pre-computed interest loan with a balloon. In other words, the interest amount you pay cannot be reduced if you want to keep the balloon payment intact. Maybe Ford Credit will make a change in the future but for now, there is no benefit for paying more than what is due each month on a Ford Options loan. At least Ford Credit will refund my principal-only payment. However, it will take at least 10 days for me to receive a check, which gives Ford Credit even more time with my money.
@hybrid2bev, I know you're the resident expert. Is something not being communicated correctly to Ford Motor Credit for the onetime change?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
As has been stated in this thread (and others), the option to modify the loan in the way you desire:

• requires coordination between you and Ford Credit before you send this payment
  • is a one time deal
  • is currently being set up behind the scenes in Ford's systems, with anticipation that the majority of these requests start being handled next tax season
  • is, until next year, handled manually by Ford Credit, which further emphasizes the need for you to coordinate this carefully with them ahead of doing so.

Gino_A

First Name
Gino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bolt, 2021 MME 2021 Pacifica, 2011 Silverado
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
As has been stated in this thread (and others), the option to modify the loan in the way you desire:

• requires coordination between you and Ford Credit before you send this payment
  • is a one time deal
  • is currently being set up behind the scenes in Ford's systems, with anticipation that the majority of these requests start being handled next tax season
  • is, until next year, handled manually by Ford Credit, which further emphasizes the need for you to coordinate this carefully with them ahead of doing so.
I attempted to follow this guidance and was unsuccessful. I even gave the Ford Credit representative the name of the person who earlier informed me that Ford Credit would modify (rewrite was her word) if I made a large principal-only payment. She even instructed me on how to make the principal-only payment on the Ford Credit website. Today the Ford Credit representative told me that I was given incorrect information by the previous Ford Credit representative. So my experience leads me to believe that Ford's systems are not currently able to handle a Ford Options loan modification, even manually. If you attempt to request a loan modification before next tax season and someone at Ford Credit says you can, then ask them for their employee ID and request that they put a record of your conversation in their customer service system.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag

• is a one time deal
This is true. Ford Options is a simple interest loan and this is a new process to allow a re-write.

@Gino_A if you would PM me your information/account number. I’ll get people involved.

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag

• is a one time deal
Hmmm, I've been hanging out here a lot and this is a detail that I've certainly missed.

Sorry to hear about the OP's experience...

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Hmmm, I've been hanging out here a lot and this is a detail that I've certainly missed.

Sorry to hear about the OP's experience...
Why bother? Put the cash in the bank and use it towards the higher payments. Interest saved isn’t worth the aggravation. Most MME purchasers need a calm period after the long order-to-delivery process. Enjoy the car.

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Regarding Ford option: are you paying interest currently on the balloon amount in addition to principal and interest on the non balloon amount for 3 or 4 years?