Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag
My car is getting close, so I am (re)reading the Ford Options threads a bit closer this weekend.

I have enough cash to buy the MME outright, but I wouldn't mind putting some of that towards other uses. Say I finance using Options, put down the max allowed (currently 45%?), select a term and mileage and sign on the deal. Then, make two-four normal payments to let the whole deal settle in. Then, make a lump sum payment large enough to cover all of what I financed but not the balloon at the end. What happens after that?

It seems like it is either:
A) Ford will still require a monthly 'payment' which is just the interest on the still outstanding balloon amount.
B) Ford will still require a monthly 'payment' which is the original interest portion of the whole agreement - balloon and financed portion of the vehicle.

Why do this?
1) Ford will kick in $1000 towards the vehicle price.
2) I don't want a sizable monthly payment if I can avoid it, but I would also like to not hand over $65K for a GT if I can keep some in my hot little hands.
3) Get the benefits of a lease-like arrangement - turn in the vehicle, pay/finance the rest and keep it, whatever.

Thoughts and counterpoints welcome
I dont know what I will do yet either. My other cars I just buy and leave. My wifes bitchin "use Fords money, why use ours". So, to keep her quiet I will probly do some type of finance thing to. But being as my MME wont be here till March/April. I didnt put any study on the numbers yet to see what I might do. Best of luck on what you decide.
Sponsored

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
My car is getting close, so I am (re)reading the Ford Options threads a bit closer this weekend.

I have enough cash to buy the MME outright, but I wouldn't mind putting some of that towards other uses. Say I finance using Options, put down the max allowed (currently 45%?), select a term and mileage and sign on the deal. Then, make two-four normal payments to let the whole deal settle in. Then, make a lump sum payment large enough to cover all of what I financed but not the balloon at the end. What happens after that?

It seems like it is either:
A) Ford will still require a monthly 'payment' which is just the interest on the still outstanding balloon amount.
B) Ford will still require a monthly 'payment' which is the original interest portion of the whole agreement - balloon and financed portion of the vehicle.

Why do this?
1) Ford will kick in $1000 towards the vehicle price.
2) I don't want a sizable monthly payment if I can avoid it, but I would also like to not hand over $65K for a GT if I can keep some in my hot little hands.
3) Get the benefits of a lease-like arrangement - turn in the vehicle, pay/finance the rest and keep it, whatever.

Thoughts and counterpoints welcome
Within a couple days of signing the Ford Options contract call Ford Credit to obtain your account number. This is done by voice response, should be not need to explain to a person.

Link your account to your FordPass or log into Ford.com. Your account page will show a buyout amount. The payment schedule will show payments 1-35, or 1-47, at the monthly amount and the last payment as the balloon amount. Set your monthly payment to be by direct debit to your bank account. I assume if it shows a buyout, you are able to execute the buyout using direct payment. BUT,

I would recommend that you execute a Ford Options contract putting little down, I did $7300, and invest the cash elsewhere. 1.4% or 2.5% or 2.7%, whatever, is less then your return using the cash elsewhere. Having a high monthly payment, as long as you are approved, doesn't matter since you can use your on-hand cash to help pay it.

I'm a Finance MBA and always prefer to use other people's money.

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I dont know what I will do yet either. My other cars I just buy and leave. My wifes bitchin "use Fords money, why use ours". So, to keep her quiet I will probly do some type of finance thing to. But being as my MME wont be here till March/April. I didnt put any study on the numbers yet to see what I might do. Best of luck on what you decide.
Your wife is very correct!

Glen

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Range Rover, 2012 Dodge, 2018 Chevy, 52 M38
Occupation
Retired, building inspector / construction super for a builder in NY.
Country flag

kennethjk

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Within a couple days of signing the Ford Options contract call Ford Credit to obtain your account number. This is done by voice response, should be not need to explain to a person.

Link your account to your FordPass or log into Ford.com. Your account page will show a buyout amount. The payment schedule will show payments 1-35, or 1-47, at the monthly amount and the last payment as the balloon amount. Set your monthly payment to be by direct debit to your bank account. I assume if it shows a buyout, you are able to execute the buyout using direct payment. BUT,

I would recommend that you execute a Ford Options contract putting little down, I did $7300, and invest the cash elsewhere. 1.4% or 2.5% or 2.7%, whatever, is less then your return using the cash elsewhere. Having a high monthly payment, as long as you are approved, doesn't matter since you can use your on-hand cash to help pay it.

I'm a Finance MBA and always prefer to use other people's money.
Why even put down 7300?