Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black MME GT w Panoramic Roof & BlueAssist
Occupation
Nonprofit Executive
Country flag
The Sheehy Ford Dealer at Springfield, VA, who treated me fine when I bought my MME GT in October, has jumped into the ADM game with both feet. They have a Lightning Lariat, with an $81k MSRP, marked as $131k. My guess is either they don't want to sell it so they can show it off. Or, they want to kill EV sales and scare people into thinking EV prices are outrageous and not a value prop to keep ICE sales going w their service needs. Or, they want to raise sights so $10k ADM suddenly isn't so bad. Or all three.

While it's the dealer's prerogative, I hope they aren't doing this to online orders. Quick way to get good customers to hate your brand.

20220727_105540.jpg
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The Sheehy Ford Dealer at Springfield, VA, who treated me fine when I bought my MME GT in October, has jumped into the ADM game with both feet. They have a Lightning Lariat, with an $81k MSRP, marked as $131k. My guess is either they don't want to sell it so they can show it off. Or, they want to kill EV sales and scare people into thinking EV prices are outrageous and not a value prop to keep ICE sales going w their service needs. Or, they want to raise sights so $10k ADM suddenly isn't so bad. Or all three.

While it's the dealer's prerogative, I hope they aren't doing this to online orders. Quick way to get good customers to hate your brand.

Ford Mustang Mach-E ADM Insanity for F150L 20220727_105540
If thatā€™s their mannequin, they seem to be building the $25,000 penalty for selling it into their markup. Dealers that do this should be reported so they lose their allocations.

They should be using a ā€œnot for saleā€ sign instead of doing that.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Yup, Iā€™d tweet this right over to Mike Levine and let him sort it out.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Well that is a green sticker so it's a customer order. That customer obviously didn't take the bait and walked. My dealer did the same basic thing. I was first with a reservation for a Lightning but they slipped 29 orders ahead of mine because those other buyers were willing to purchase "Desert Protection" packages in various levels ranging from $10k to $20k. A wolf in sheep's clothing is still a wolf.

They tried the same thing to me with the eTransit. We have a fleet number and they still wanted $1500 over MSRP. We said no thank you and walked away. Van is still sitting there when I was there last Friday. I bet they wish they didn't try and bend us over back then.

Last year I purchased 6 vehicles from that dealership. (5 pickups and 1 MME). This year I purchased zero. The three vehicles we ordered this year are coming from 3rd party up-fitters. I don't know if those guys get to buy directly from Ford or not but it's now their problem and not mine.

It will only take another federal reserve rate increase of a point or two and then potential buyers will disappear.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Well that is a green sticker so it's a customer order. That customer obviously didn't take the bait and walked. My dealer did the same basic thing. I was first with a reservation for a Lightning but they slipped 29 orders ahead of mine because those other buyers were willing to purchase "Desert Protection" packages in various levels ranging from $10k to $20k. A wolf in sheep's clothing is still a wolf.

They tried the same thing to me with the eTransit. We have a fleet number and they still wanted $1500 over MSRP. We said no thank you and walked away. Van is still sitting there when I was there last Friday. I bet they wish they didn't try and bend us over back then.

Last year I purchased 6 vehicles from that dealership. (5 pickups and 1 MME). This year I purchased zero. The three vehicles we ordered this year are coming from 3rd party up-fitters. I don't know if those guys get to buy directly from Ford or not but it's now their problem and not mine.

It will only take another federal reserve rate increase of a point or two and then potential buyers will disappear.
My dealer has always been incredibly fair with me, but they did put a $5K ADM on a Green sticker GTPE that the buyer backed out of about 6 months ago. My sales guy explained the buyers situation to me. The guy ran into some personal problems and couldnā€™t complete the sale. Given the market conditions at the time, I donā€™t blame them one bit for trying to make a buck on a hot commodity. After all, the X plan isnā€™t a total secret and places like Costco have some kind of discount car buying service (I have no idea how they work). But, if you must have the hot, rare thing RIGHT NOW, be prepared to pay a premium. Or order and wait.

OP
OP
jgillmer

jgillmer

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nonprofit Executive
Country flag
If thatā€™s their mannequin, they seem to be building the $25,000 penalty for selling it into their markup. Dealers that do this should be reported so they lose their allocations.

They should be using a ā€œnot for saleā€ sign instead of doing that.
I concur

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
My dealer has always been incredibly fair with me, but they did put a $5K ADM on a Green sticker GTPE that the buyer backed out of about 6 months ago. My sales guy explained the buyers situation to me. The guy ran into some personal problems and couldnā€™t complete the sale. Given the market conditions at the time, I donā€™t blame them one bit for trying to make a buck on a hot commodity. After all, the X plan isnā€™t a total secret and places like Costco have some kind of discount car buying service (I have no idea how they work). But, if you must have the hot, rare thing RIGHT NOW, be prepared to pay a premium. Or order and wait.
Agree.
I understand it's all about value. I was on the fence about the Lightning anyway because of it's size and can only tow 10k lbs. To be honest, the Mach-E was the most expensive personal car that I have ever purchased and that gave me some anxiety. I still would buy it again if given the chance because it has saved me so much money. The truck?.......don't really need it. I have a Super Duty at home that is paid for and it runs fine.

The folks at my dealership are awesome. Friends with many of them over there. The ownership is greedy is kinda short sighted IMO. The staff doesn't really agree with some of their decisions so I don't have any beef with any of them. They are just trying to earn a living like the rest of us. I choose not to buy any more vehicles from a dealership that charges more than MSRP. I don't fault anyone who wishes to pay more. That is totally their choice too. šŸ‘

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

It's also quite possible that the customer just hasn't picked up their truck yet.

OP
OP
jgillmer

jgillmer

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nonprofit Executive
Country flag
Certainly, I agree - if it's hot and you.dont want to wait, then be ready to pay a premium. However, this is likely a case of someone ordering, waiting, and, upon pick up, gets told of a monster ADM to induce a deserted order. Then the dealer can pocket the $500 reservation and then legit slap an ADM. It's the kind of baloney that has driven Ford to split EV from ICE so dealers aren't part of the equation other than a pick up location. I hope dealers choke out in 10 years when there's nothing to service and no one wants to bothered with the gut-wrenching sales tactics.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
It's also quite possible that the customer just hasn't picked up their truck yet.
Ah, my dealer would ā€œNO SALEā€ any customer ordered vehicles that hadnā€™t been picked up yet. They most likely wouldnā€™t be on the line. Probably in the back lot or something. By the way, my dealer is family-owned and the family is in there DAILY and it shows. I have the owners personal cell phone number and heā€™s made it clear on several occasions that I should always feel free to use it (Iā€™ve never even been slightly tempted to do so). They may not be the biggest or the fanciest, but the long-term relationship, the quality (usually) service department, etc are all what matters.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Ah, my dealer would ā€œNO SALEā€ any customer ordered vehicles that hadnā€™t been picked up yet. They most likely wouldnā€™t be on the line. Probably in the back lot or something. By the way, my dealer is family-owned and the family is in there DAILY and it shows. I have the owners personal cell phone number and heā€™s made it clear on several occasions that I should always feel free to use it (Iā€™ve never even been slightly tempted to do so). They may not be the biggest or the fanciest, but the long-term relationship, the quality (usually) service department, etc are all what matters.
Well, I'm not sure why but this was on my Lightning while it awaited my pickup.
Ford Mustang Mach-E ADM Insanity for F150L Sherman marku

I paid MSRP.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
:)
They are in for a nifty surprise then.
It's a good thing that your dealership didn't try that same stunt on you.....

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

I paid MSRP.
Oops. I spoke too soon.
They didn't think you would notice? :rolleyes:

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

I paid MSRP.
Actually......
That might have just been their way to weed out the folks who might see your truck parked over in the corner and try to buy it out from under you. That window sticker would likely put paid to any of those thoughts. A means to an end.....

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Actually......
That might have just been their way to weed out the folks who might see your truck parked over in the corner and try to buy it out from under you. That window sticker would likely put paid to any of those thoughts. A means to an end.....
Or it was used to make the markup on their mannequin more palatable?
Sponsored