Adventures of our Grabber Blue Space Pony...

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
The seat heater controls look like sliders and will act like them if you slide, but you don't have to. I just tap twice- once to open it and again to choose my level. I have learned that this is the case with most slider interfaces in vehicles and it's always easier to just tap
I think it would make more sense to just tap on the seat heater icon to cycle through the 3 levels of heat. Otherwise I have to take my eyes off the road to get my finger to the right position, whether I slide or tap.
It would make even more sense if these controls weren't on the screen but were instead physical buttons.
Sponsored

Jbkimmel

First Name
Judson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I calculate a three or four year break-even return on the cost of this vehicle compared with the cost of a new, similarly-sized ICE SUV, despite the ICE's lower buy-in cost. I did this by writing up a Monte Carlo simulation to account for a large number of factors including maintenance, gasoline, electric costs, etc., but ignoring the PV contribution. I can share that sometime if anyone is interested.
You lost me at Monte Carlo but check out this great photo of a 1970, the first model year! ?

https://images.app.goo.gl/LwuFmH6DNEArPwzZ8

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
You lost me at Monte Carlo but check out this great photo of a 1970, the first model year! ?

https://images.app.goo.gl/LwuFmH6DNEArPwzZ8
Lovely vehicle!

I'm a mathematician and scientist. A Monte Carlo simulation is an approach to understanding a phenomenon for which we don't have full mathematical formulae. We treat each parameter that can vary (number of miles driven, annual maintenance costs, gas prices, electricity prices, etc) as a variable with some kind of distribution (usually a normal distribution, but that's not required). Then we run thousands of estimates based on randomly varying every one of those parameters within their expected distributions. It's a statistical approach to guesstimating the likelihood or value for which we can't reasonably place hard constraints on because the unknowns are too unknowable (I can't reasonably predict gas prices in five years, but I can formulate a not-unreasonable probability function for them).

Jbkimmel

First Name
Judson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
Congrats on your GB - the more real world photos I see of it, the more I like it.

I’m very happy with my DMG but I think it’s fair to say that the color representation on the MME website leaves something to be desired…. And that your car is way cooler than your buddy’s Tesla - yawn…

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Congrats on your GB - the more real world photos I see of it, the more I like it.
I really love this color. I've wanted a vehicle this color since I bought my first new vehicle and couldn't get it in this blue (Toyota Tacoma--the dealer would not order a blue one for me).

I’m very happy with my DMG but I think it’s fair to say that the color representation on the MME website leaves something to be desired….
I have a pickup with a color similar to DMG and I just wanted some pop for the fun car. :)

And that your car is way cooler than your buddy’s Tesla - yawn…
I agree. I don't think I convinced him to sell his Tesla and get a Mustang, but... That's okay. I'm 95% sure our Mustang is the only one in town, so that's going to be weird.

Cm12

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
Glad you like the new car! And that range is absolutely insane, especially through the mountains in the cold. Heck yeah!

Jbkimmel

First Name
Judson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I kind of guessed on the mathematician part….and was just looking for an excuse to post a cool classic car photo! Over the years, I’ve talked with several quants about how they use Monte Carlo in their finance work, but your MME example made more sense than any of them. Probably because you know your audience here!

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
I really love this color. I've wanted a vehicle this color since I bought my first new vehicle and couldn't get it in this blue (Toyota Tacoma--the dealer would not order a blue one for me).

I have a pickup with a color similar to DMG and I just wanted some pop for the fun car. :)

I agree. I don't think I convinced him to sell his Tesla and get a Mustang, but... That's okay. I'm 95% sure our Mustang is the only one in town, so that's going to be weird.
Enjoy while you can. I had the first in my town but now they’re breeding like rabbits, not quite but there’sa few around.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
We just got our first electric bill after installing solar panels.
We sold 269 kWh back to the utility during the billing period.
This is after using up everything else we generated.

For a winter month with snow on the panels at least four days of the period and cloudy, cold, low sun most of the rest of the time, that's pretty good.

In fact, if we compare that with the efficiency of the Mustang, that would have allowed us to drive for "free" for about 880 miles. We didn't have the Mustang for most of that time.

As summer rolls around, obviously we'll be generating even more. We have a "super off-peak" billing time during the middle of the day. We'll probably start feeding the pony during that time so we're taking advantage of that much lower rate and taking advantage of the fact that we're generating the most during that time.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adventures of our Grabber Blue Space Pony... PXL_20220225_224054022

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adventures of our Grabber Blue Space Pony... PXL_20220225_225224196

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Does anyone have experience with CarScanner (paid version)?
I was disappointed that yesterday it recorded almost nothing of value. I don't want to have the phone display on the entire time.

Is there a way to ask it to 1) put local time in its "time" column and 2) record everything?

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I've given rides to about a dozen people in the three days since we got the Mustang.
And talked to many others about it. I've put more time into selling this car than any dealer I've talked to so far.

@Ford Motor Company , where do I send my invoices?

;)?????

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
My partner drove it down off the mountain (and back) today.

They started the drive at 90% with the stress-o-meter saying 195 miles range.
After 33 miles, the stress-o-meter said 193 miles range.
To be fair, there was an 800 foot drop in less than 2.5 miles, and 1P helped with regaining a ton of gravitational potential energy.
Of course, that-and more-was expended climbing back up those switchbacks.

Something happened on the iPhone with this photo. The windows are not that heavily tinted.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adventures of our Grabber Blue Space Pony... IMG_1951

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
Open All sensors in Car Scanner, and keep the screen on. At the end of trip (or charging session) press Disconnect.
Thanks. Seems like poor design that the screen has to say on, but I'll try that next time.

OP
OP
SpaceEVDriver

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
We haven't gone anywhere exciting lately, but this makes a pretty photograph.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Adventures of our Grabber Blue Space Pony... PXL_20220304_211956523
Sponsored