Advice on Winter Tires for standard GT

locks66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Country flag
Hi all! Let me tell you I know nothing about tires. I have only ever had to order a complete set of new tires once and that was on my VW golf. This car was a a lot of savings and hard work for me to get. I live in Minneapolis and I drive about 3,000 miles a month as a Realtor. We had our first snow yesterday and it was also very icy. My fiancee really thinks I should invest in snow tires and I know tire people and car guys typically swear by proper winter tires.

It seems based on a previous thread I need to stay at 20 inch, but wondering what I should be looking at in terms of wheels and tires. Plan to use tire rack. Also any benefit to going a little narrower on the tire?

I put verdestiens all seasons on my golf and will say I was amazed at the bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
OP
OP
locks66

locks66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Country flag

Thor2j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT , Ford Raptor
Country flag
I got nokians . Gonna out them on in the next few weeks.

Mopey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME GTPE, 22 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Very happy with the 245/45R20 Continental Viking Contact 7 I put on my GTPE. Even better than the 225/55R19 Continental WinterContact TS 860 S on the FE. Good traction and very quiet. Both much, much better for Alaskan winter roads than the OEMs (Don't even consider driving in winter on the GTPE's OEM tires.)

OP
OP
locks66

locks66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Country flag
Anyone know if 235 width will fit the GT? Again I know nothing about tires

Tom L

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hi all! Let me tell you I know nothing about tires. I have only ever had to order a complete set of new tires once and that was on my VW golf. This car was a a lot of savings and hard work for me to get. I live in Minneapolis and I drive about 3,000 miles a month as a Realtor. We had our first snow yesterday and it was also very icy. My fiancee really thinks I should invest in snow tires and I know tire people and car guys typically swear by proper winter tires.

It seems based on a previous thread I need to stay at 20 inch, but wondering what I should be looking at in terms of wheels and tires. Plan to use tire rack. Also any benefit to going a little narrower on the tire?

I put verdestiens all seasons on my golf and will say I was amazed at the bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance!
I understand your plight. We lived in Twin Cities for 47 years commuting 30,000 miles a year on two cars, and now retired in Chippewa Falls for 6, when I bought a Honda Clarity PHEV 3 years ago. The Clarity's OEM tires fared poorly in winter so I did many hours of research on replacement tires for EVs and got good results so far with Bridgestone Extreme Contacts (see also Mopey's suggestion). I am currently waiting for a spring delivery of a Mach-E CR1. I have two recommendations for your Mach-E: 1) If you want year round All Season tires, then Bridgestone Contacts are a good and affordable choice--but All Season tires are a compromise and not the best performers on snow and ice. 2) If you want the best performance in winter, then you need a set of winter tires for November-March, which is an extra cost and inconvenience for mounting and storage. I will go for winter tires with my Mach-E and my choice is Bridgestone Blizzak.
Sponsored