After 11 months, keep waiting 2021 Mach E Select - Suggestion needed, What to do?

yazoo888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 MDX Tech+SHAWD, 2017 GLE550e, 2021 Mach E
Occupation
Engine..Engineer,
Country flag
On 8/9/22, the previous Ford's ETA of July 2022 Failed. , New date is now 8/22-8/29/22. Will see..

Finally, The ETA worked -- Vehicle was delivered to Dealership 8/29/22. I made the purchase on 8/30/22. Total 13 months waiting.

=============
Hi, I must have been one of those selected "lucky" ones. During the 11 months waiting (waiting still going), like many, I have gone thru emotional roller-coaster: excitement, disappointments, etc.. If you were me, what to do now?

My situation on this 2021 Mache E - Select, RWD:

7/28/2021, (confirmed next day), Ordered online for a 2021 Mach E (select RWD) and put down $1500 deposit; the selected dealership is in OC, California.
10/4/2021: This was the scheduled build-week
11/30/2021 --> 12/30/21 --> 2/15/22 --> 3/31/22 --> ?? Many delays of the ETA, now NO information is given the ETA in Ford's tracking system is still 3/31/22 !!
2/15/2022: Status show "Vehicle build completed" per Ford tracking info.

2/20/2022: Worrying about the Dealer Mark-Up, I requested local dealer ( my assigned sales person) to write me an email on No mark-up. And he did write me an email, saying the purchase will use MSRP + tax, title and fees etc, no mark-up.

3/15/22 --till NOW, the vehicle has been stuck at Kansas city since then, the status was something like "Delay, factory hold, Richards-gebaur,MO. " The last rail car information the Ford Chat rep. told me was " Railcar # AOK 501864 (Kansas City Southern Railway Co ).

6/29/2022: RECALL ! By chatting with Ford rep, " the vehicle is effected by, 22S41 MAIN HV CONTACTOR WELDING. " However she gave me a new ETA.

7/20-29/2022: NEW ETA given by Ford Chat person.

My questions/concerns:
1. Anyway to track shipping info., with rail car # etc. -- Ford's chatting customer service seemed to be not getting much help to me.

2. How much difference is the 2021 MME vs 2022? It seems to be, when I get the 2021 MY MME, the 2023 is coming out : I will have a 2-yr-old "new" car. Keep it or not?

3. Dealer mark-up concerns, particular after reading the $15K Mark-up story from the link below.
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/15000-mark-up-help.19056/page-6

4. I saw tracking thread that some of the buyers put in their orders much later than I did, they have received cars already..

Anyway... thanks for reading; please share your thought and experience.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Was your order not converted to a 2022?

Mine took 50.4 weeks.

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 4XP, MB E-350, Exp. EB, Subaru XTrek
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
Transport of your vehicle from KC to SoCal will be via rail, and likely via UP, though it should be trackable via BNSFs phone tracking tool.

My car sat in KC for nigh on 1 month before being moved ~15 miles south to the Argentine ramp where it was loaded and on its way west within a few days. I suspect they drove my car from the KCS yard to the Argentine ramp, rather than load it on a transport, as it never did show in the JCT tool, and the odometer was ~17 miles when I took delivery.

The key for this movement was the change in VVR of the ramp while in KC. From there I got the new railcar number from the VVR and could track the movement west using the BNSF phone tool. It took about a week to make it to NorCal, and upon arrival, it was delivered to the dealership a few days later. This last bit is not trackable.

I can't speak to the ADM risk. I was fortunate, I ignorantly ordered the car without knowing of the unscrupulous dealers out there who add ADM, but when I asked the fleet sales rep who handled special orders, he promised they would honor the website price, and they did. That being said, I now would use a different dealer in the area (Walnut Creek Ford). According to the new dealer, it is possible to have Ford reassign orders, but I think at the point where the delivery destination/Window sticker is set, it's too late. I rashly canceled my Lightning order in Dec. after dealing with my MME purchase through Livermore Ford, not knowing about this option.

The 2023 order book won't open until Aug. and then the clock will start all over. Others will have to speak to the detailed differences, but in my brief observation of threads on this forum, due to the availability of parts, chips, etc. your MY-21 will have more features and cost less than a new 2023, so depending on whether your in this for yourself or to be a broker as some are doing, I think the bird in the hand is the better strategy here. Also, with the 2023 model, you run the risk of not getting the full benefit of the federal tax credit ($7500).

jaklou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White RWD Select ordered 3/28, no prod date
Country flag
Transport of your vehicle from KC to SoCal will be via rail, and likely via UP, though it should be trackable via BNSFs phone tracking tool.

My car sat in KC for nigh on 1 month before being moved ~15 miles south to the Argentine ramp where it was loaded and on its way west within a few days. I suspect they drove my car from the KCS yard to the Argentine ramp, rather than load it on a transport, as it never did show in the JCT tool, and the odometer was ~17 miles when I took delivery.

The key for this movement was the change in VVR of the ramp while in KC. From there I got the new railcar number from the VVR and could track the movement west using the BNSF phone tool. It took about a week to make it to NorCal, and upon arrival, it was delivered to the dealership a few days later. This last bit is not trackable.

I can't speak to the ADM risk. I was fortunate, I ignorantly ordered the car without knowing of the unscrupulous dealers out there who add ADM, but when I asked the fleet sales rep who handled special orders, he promised they would honor the website price, and they did. That being said, I now would use a different dealer in the area (Walnut Creek Ford). According to the new dealer, it is possible to have Ford reassign orders, but I think at the point where the delivery destination/Window sticker is set, it's too late. I rashly canceled my Lightning order in Dec. after dealing with my MME purchase through Livermore Ford, not knowing about this option.

The 2023 order book won't open until Aug. and then the clock will start all over. Others will have to speak to the detailed differences, but in my brief observation of threads on this forum, due to the availability of parts, chips, etc. your MY-21 will have more features and cost less than a new 2023, so depending on whether your in this for yourself or to be a broker as some are doing, I think the bird in the hand is the better strategy here. Also, with the 2023 model, you run the risk of not getting the full benefit of the federal tax credit ($7500).
Wow! That’s insane and so frustrating. I ordered mine from an OC dealer as well…may I ask who yours is and if they are intervening at all?

OP
OP
yazoo888

yazoo888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engine..Engineer,
Country flag
Was your order not converted to a 2022?

Mine took 50.4 weeks.
Have you receivied yours?

I do not think mine converted to 2022 MY. I got the VIN early and the windows sticker shows 2021 Model year.

OP
OP
yazoo888

yazoo888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engine..Engineer,
Country flag
Wow! That’s insane and so frustrating. I ordered mine from an OC dealer as well…may I ask who yours is and if they are intervening at all?
Tustin AutoNation Ford --- I do not think they did anything, other than checking on computer and get the information to me when I ask.

While waiting for so long... and there is still chance not getting the car at MSRP ! How frustrating this is!

OP
OP
yazoo888

yazoo888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engine..Engineer,
Country flag

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts and experience! ! Keep me figures crossed... at the same time I am keep calm --- it is just another transportation tool at the end :)

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Have you receivied yours?

I do not think mine converted to 2022 MY. I got the VIN early and the windows sticker shows 2021 Model year.
Yes. 5 weeks ago.

gpgrim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 4XP, MB E-350, Exp. EB, Subaru XTrek
Occupation
Physicist
Country flag
Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts and experience! ! Keep me figures crossed... at the same time I am keep calm --- it is just another transportation tool at the end :)
Modulo all the stress of late with the recall and the HVBJB issues, I have had nothing but miles of smiles. It was worth the wait, though the delay did make it a bit interesting as my daughter took off in Sept. with my commuter car when she headed back to school, and I had to convince my wife to give up here E350 for a few months since my commute was 20 miles and hers was only 5. That meant she got stuck with the '03 Expedition, which ain't no German engineered luxury vehicle. 😜

jaklou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tustin AutoNation Ford --- I do not think they did anything, other than checking on computer and get the information to me when I ask.

While waiting for so long... and there is still chance not getting the car at MSRP ! How frustrating this is!
Unreal. I ordered 3/28 from Capistrano Ford. Also waiting for an Ioniq5 from Tustin Hyundai. Just received an email from Ford saying they’ll update me every 45 days…well, at least there’s that I guess

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Ford tracking system just sucks. There's no way you can contact anyone if your car gets stuck somewhere, it all relies on internal reporting which can fail to notice and resolve vehicles that have been lost in transport.

You need to walk into your dealer, sit down with your salesman, and get them to show you the VVR. If it hasn't moved for months, then they need to call the VOPC and get someone to investigate why it hasn't moved. Usually it's not good news (e.g. battery died, or was damaged in shipping and they are hiding it).

OP
OP
yazoo888

yazoo888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engine..Engineer,
Country flag
Unreal. I ordered 3/28 from Capistrano Ford. Also waiting for an Ioniq5 from Tustin Hyundai. Just received an email from Ford saying they’ll update me every 45 days…well, at least there’s that I guess
How is your Hyunday order? How long does it take to get it (estimate)/ are you able to get a confirmation in writing (purchase agreement or some form of writing?) on MSRP without mark-up. I am planning to put in some extra orders as back up too :) - maybe KIA or Hyundai.

jaklou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Still waiting. Completely different set up than Ford. No down payment, just get in the queue and wait for a call. I check with my salesman every few weeks, and actually had two opportunities to purchase…one was an AWD, but living in Southern Cal I just didn’t feel the extra $4k was a smart for AWD was a smart investment. The second just wasn’t the color my wife wanted.

Our dealer only charges $1500 for paint protection, but no Mark up. They only sell to residents of Orange County (it’s Tustin Hyundai, so they’re probably next door to your Ford dealer), so there isn’t the lengthy waitlist other dealers have.

It’s now been 11 weeks waiting for the Ioniq 5, and 15 weeks since we ordered the Mach e (and still no production date despite ordering a Select RWD). Concerned we may not get the full tax credit… Pretty frustrating.

What’s the update on your situation? May be time to change to an I5. I’m at the point where I’m hoping I get one over the MME, but I keep going back and forth. Just seems like the I5 has had much fewer and less material issues, albeit it’s their first year in production

Last edited:
OP
OP
yazoo888

yazoo888

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engine..Engineer,
Country flag
Still waiting. Completely different set up than Ford. No down payment, just get in the queue and wait for a call. I check with my salesman every few weeks, and actually had two opportunities to purchase…one was an AWD, but living in Southern Cal I just didn’t feel the extra $4k was a smart for AWD was a smart investment. The second just wasn’t the color my wife wanted.

Our dealer only charges $1500 for paint protection, but no Mark up. They only sell to residents of Orange County (it’s Tustin Hyundai, so they’re probably next door to your Ford dealer), so there isn’t the lengthy waitlist other dealers have.

It’s now been 11 weeks waiting for the Ioniq 5, and 15 weeks since we ordered the Mach e (and still no production date despite ordering a Select RWD). Concerned we may not get the full tax credit… Pretty frustrating.

What’s the update on your situation? May be time to change to an I5. I’m at the point where I’m hoping I get one over the MME, but I keep going back and forth. Just seems like the I5 has had much fewer and less material issues, albeit it’s their first year in production
Thanks for sharing the info on Hyundai dealer experience. I will jump to get on the waiting list of KIA EV6 or Hyundai Iioniq 5 ( it is I-5 that I drive every day anyway :) haha) , then wait to see which one comes first (Mach E, EV6 or I-5). Hope the $7500 tax credit shall not be running out for those three :) $7500 makes a difference.
Sponsored