joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
So my Mach E has been at the dealer since last Thursday due to two issues (LTE connectivity and complete failure of DC Fast Charging) but this thread isn't about those

It's about my loaner. The dealer gave me a 2021 Explorer Limited. Aside from the gas engine, I love this car. This is what the Mach E should've been. It's been a while since I was in a really nice car. I came from a Jeep to a GTI to a Tesla Model 3 over the past 5 years. Jeeps aren't luxurious, even the Rubicon I had, and the GTI was a solid car but also just a basic car. The Model 3 was extremely minimalistic, and the Mach E carries some of that over but also has a more appropriate number of physical controls that I love and is what convinced me to trade in the Tesla

The Explorer, though, everything is a physical button! Even just from driving the thing for 4 days I can just reach over and control the HVAC without looking. There is a knob to change the radio station that I can flip without looking. There is a dedicated button to change the driving mode, to turn on/off auto-hold. There is even a dedicated button to bring up the 360 degree camera view. None of these functions require digging into menus, or taking my eyes off the road

And, there are a *ton* of features like *ventilated seats* that I didn't know I wanted. I got the Mach E because it felt more like a "real car" than the Tesla, but now I'm finding I wish it was even more like a real car

I'm not entirely sure what my point is here, I love the Mach E. I do not regret trading in my Tesla at all for any number of reasons both car related and Elon Musk-related. And I really don't want to go back to a gas powered car, at all, but at some level I feel like I wouldn't be entirely disappointed if it took them longer than 30 days to fix my Mach E and triggered the Lemon Law buyback requirement in my state

I feel like maybe Ford should be working on a BEV Explorer, like yesterday
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Ford had to hit a price target to make the Mustang Mach e profitable from day 1. I have no problem with that. They also had to make a vehicle that would appeal to a generation that grew up with screens, but yet wouldn’t totally alienate or befuddle people who were more comfortable with more traditional interfaces. I think they struck a decent balance there (if you factor in voice). Where they dropped the ball was not having a higher end option package available for Premium. Something like a 301A that would include things like dimming mirrors, heated windscreen, 12-way ventilated seats, etc. just charge $3K for the package and call it a day.

OP
OP

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
You could get a Ford Explorer Limited Hybrid.. Comes with the 3.3 Liter V6
I would definitely need to drive one, but honestly if it does come down to Ford having to buy this car back from me, that is at the top of my list. There's no indication that will happen. It's just been a week, they have 30 days to solve these issues but given the fundamental nature of the two problems I'm having and the service dept at the dealer being a little out in the weeds I'm starting to think about what to do if we get there

Ford had to hit a price target to make the Mustang Mach e profitable from day 1. I have no problem with that. They also had to make a vehicle that would appeal to a generation that grew up with screens, but yet wouldn’t totally alienate or befuddle people who were more comfortable with more traditional interfaces. I think they struck a decent balance there (if you factor in voice). Where they dropped the ball was not having a higher end option package available for Premium. Something like a 301A that would include things like dimming mirrors, heated windscreen, 12-way ventilated seats, etc. just charge $3K for the package and call it a day.
I grew up with screens. I'm a millenial, albeit at the older end of that generation. I'm over them in the car. I love CarPlay, don't take that away, but otherwise give me a button for everything.

And you are 10000% right they should've had an options package that bumped that stuff up. Better seats (both in terms of range of motion and ventilation) would've gone a *long* way to increasing the wife-acceptance-factor for me

americanflannel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
I do not write menu descriptions for a living
Country flag
The Kia Niro (2017) had the best mix.
It has a complete row of climate physical buttons, including the heated and cooled seats. Plus physical volume knob.

Everything else was on the screen.

Seriously if Ford had just made the bottom climate row physical I think I would have been 1000% times happier.

But if you look at the Kia EV6 it's going all screen. They took the Audi approach of "ok separate control areas, but let's make THOSE screens too"

Really my perfect interior is the Audi TTRS interior, everything is steering wheel controlled except climate which is built into the vents themselves. That is so awesome.

ten8bike

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 pickup
Country flag
I, too, have a loaner (since March 16!). I have a hybrid Escape. It has many of the features of the Mach E, and is nice enough. It is amazing that Ford seems to have gotten things right with the other models, and couldn't just transfer that knowledge to the Mach E.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
So my Mach E has been at the dealer since last Thursday due to two issues (LTE connectivity and complete failure of DC Fast Charging) but this thread isn't about those

It's about my loaner. The dealer gave me a 2021 Explorer Limited. Aside from the gas engine, I love this car. This is what the Mach E should've been. It's been a while since I was in a really nice car. I came from a Jeep to a GTI to a Tesla Model 3 over the past 5 years. Jeeps aren't luxurious, even the Rubicon I had, and the GTI was a solid car but also just a basic car. The Model 3 was extremely minimalistic, and the Mach E carries some of that over but also has a more appropriate number of physical controls that I love and is what convinced me to trade in the Tesla

The Explorer, though, everything is a physical button! Even just from driving the thing for 4 days I can just reach over and control the HVAC without looking. There is a knob to change the radio station that I can flip without looking. There is a dedicated button to change the driving mode, to turn on/off auto-hold. There is even a dedicated button to bring up the 360 degree camera view. None of these functions require digging into menus, or taking my eyes off the road

And, there are a *ton* of features like *ventilated seats* that I didn't know I wanted. I got the Mach E because it felt more like a "real car" than the Tesla, but now I'm finding I wish it was even more like a real car

I'm not entirely sure what my point is here, I love the Mach E. I do not regret trading in my Tesla at all for any number of reasons both car related and Elon Musk-related. And I really don't want to go back to a gas powered car, at all, but at some level I feel like I wouldn't be entirely disappointed if it took them longer than 30 days to fix my Mach E and triggered the Lemon Law buyback requirement in my state

They had to make compromises to compete with the minimalistic touchscreen-controlled Tesla style, and traditional button-heavy ICE SUVs. For me, personally, the Mach-E has the perfect balance. Extra features are great of course, but they all add cost.
I wouldn't want the cost any higher. It's already the most expensive vehicle I've ever purchased, by FAR.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
They had to make compromises to compete with the minimalistic touchscreen-controlled Tesla style, and traditional button-heavy ICE SUVs. For me, personally, the Mach-E has the perfect balance. Extra features are great of course, but they all add cost.
I wouldn't want the cost any higher. It's already the most expensive vehicle I've ever purchased, by FAR.
Hence why I wanted the equivalent of a 301A package - like my Escape had. I have a Titanium which was very well equipped, then you could get 301A which had almost all the “missing” stuff. It was sort of pricey - a couple of grand if I recall, but I was willing to pay for it. YMMV.
I think if people would become more familiar with voice controls, they’d miss hard buttons for many controls much less.

PeeCee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Red Mustang MachE
Country flag

Give it more time.. They have to leverage the price of new technology in a way or another. As more and more models become electric and the price lowers and the more the batteries perform, the more they'll be able to give you those options. I also think all this Tablet thing is a fad.. It was something that really stood out when you had a Tesla, but look at what Mercedes and Kia are doing and they are not following suit. One of the reasons I went with the MachE was because I didn't want the super minimalistic approach of Tesla and I did want more buttons in my EV. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years (3-4) more cars will offer a mix of Touchscreen + Physical Buttons and offer more "luxurious" things they currently offer in higher-end cars.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
I think the current Explorer is a beautiful build. If I hadn't been set on electric, it’s what I would have gotten. I considered the hybrid Explorer but I don’t think that’s available in North America yet, and I’m just done with ICE.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Ventilated seats would be nice, my Mustang had them, disappointed the Mustang Mach-E doesn't.

I don't see the Explorer really as the Mustang Mach-E's alternative in the showroom, to me that's the... well... Mustang.

So I'd rather see a Performance Pack, offer MagneRide on all trims, wide summer tires, MyColor, all the Mustang things they forgot to put on this Mustang.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
We've got an Explorer ST and a Mach-E 4X. Given the choice I drive the Mach-E every time.

LagerHead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 & 2 Ducati M/C
Occupation
Test Dummy
Country flag
We've got an Explorer ST and a Mach-E 4X. Given the choice I drive the Mach-E every time.
I'm still learning about the Mach-e, what's the "4X" refer to? I'm assuming you don't have four of them!

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I'm still learning about the Mach-e, what's the "4X" refer to? I'm assuming you don't have four of them!
You get one x for each Tesla kill. After 5 it reads Mach-e “Ace.”* :p

*this is totally not true.
Sponsored