After recent software update, range after charging to 90% is not as much as before

Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME built May21 Space W, MME built Dec21 Star W
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My mme got a recent software update. Display says “your software is up to date”. I was at 1.4. Since this update, first one that I know of, my charging to 90% is not as much as before, 238 miles rather than usual 255-260 as before update. Charging to 100% only got to 253 where as before update 100% was 275plus. Here in central Texas temp is 70 degrees or more. Any one else have a similar issue? Also I can not seem to see the software version number but before this update I could see that my car was at 1.4.1…..
Sponsored

TuxToaster

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue MME Premium ER AWD
Country flag
We like to call the range estimate a "Guess-O-Meter" (or GOM) for a reason... it's literally an estimate of expected range based on a number of factors... your driving style, the routes you frequently take, outside temperature, elevation changes, etc. all factor in.

Chances are pretty good that the reasons you are seeing the estimate change following the update are because the algorithms to calculate the estimate were likely tweaked as part of some of the updates, plus sometimes the driving history and other parts of your profile might get reset when an update is installed. Not to mention any changes in any of the other factors above (i.e. it's colder now than it was a few weeks ago) can easily have an impact on your range.

All that to say, you can mostly ignore the estimates given. Your battery's State of Charge (SOC) and the consumption shown in the trip history (usually in miles per kilowatt hour or mi/kwh) are much better indicators of battery efficiency than the range estimate.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
My mme got a recent software update. Display says “your software is up to date”. I was at 1.4. Since this update, first one that I know of, my charging to 90% is not as much as before, 238 miles rather than usual 255-260 as before update. Charging to 100% only got to 253 where as before update 100% was 275plus. Here in central Texas temp is 70 degrees or more. Any one else have a similar issue? Also I can not seem to see the software version number but before this update I could see that my car was at 1.4.1…..
Ignore the mileage estimate (GOM). Monitor your miles per kWh and battery percentage instead.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ulate-how-far-your-mach-e-can-really-go.6104/

When the display says ‘up to date’ that just means there are no more updates available, not that an update was recently applied. You are probably still on OTA 1.4 version. The update message does not stay there until the next update, it goes away after a few days or so.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Keep an eye on your miles/kWh and see if it’s deviating substantially from your previous average. If the answer is no, it’s not an issue. If the answer is yes, there’s a substantial difference, which cannot be explained by differing driving habits or weather conditions then there’s likely another undiagnosed problem. Odds are high that it is the former and not the latter.

Last edited:

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
If you want to send me your VIN I can check if you recently had an update or not.

DiverDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium AWD EX Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
Me too. Since the update, I now show 183 miles of range at 95% charge. I used to show at least 260. I assume that some of it is colder weather, but this is really extreme. Our weather has been 40s and 50s.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Me too. Since the update, I now show 183 miles of range at 95% charge. I used to show at least 260. I assume that some of it is colder weather, but this is really extreme. Our weather has been 40s and 50s.
It is absolutely the colder weather.

This same observation of "lost range" is being reported at least 3 times a week for the last month

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
It probably reset your driving history to none. My GOM went down when I manually reset driving history.

OP
OP
Billy

Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We like to call the range estimate a "Guess-O-Meter" (or GOM) for a reason... it's literally an estimate of expected range based on a number of factors... your driving style, the routes you frequently take, outside temperature, elevation changes, etc. all factor in.

Chances are pretty good that the reasons you are seeing the estimate change following the update are because the algorithms to calculate the estimate were likely tweaked as part of some of the updates, plus sometimes the driving history and other parts of your profile might get reset when an update is installed. Not to mention any changes in any of the other factors above (i.e. it's colder now than it was a few weeks ago) can easily have an impact on your range.

All that to say, you can mostly ignore the estimates given. Your battery's State of Charge (SOC) and the consumption shown in the trip history (usually in miles per kilowatt hour or mi/kwh) are much better indicators of battery efficiency than the range estimate.

OP
OP
Billy

Billy

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks. That‘s helpful. I had a 2017 Ford Focus electric, 115 eparange, before this Mach-e. I charged overnight and usually got 110+ miles even in winter. Granted central Texas is not cold. Got use to relying on charging to max. I now use the mme for much longer round trips and 238 round trip will be close to zero on some trips. I do all my charging at home using 32amp charger. So @ 20mile per hour it takes 10 hours . Cutting close but I give a trying. Again that’s for the feedback. Guess o meter is something we’ll all have to deal with.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Scary VIN
Thanks. Your vehicle tried to install 1.7.1 on 11/18, so about four days ago, but it failed. You should have received a message on FordPass saying it will try again at a later date. In my time reviewing others, it seems to try about every week.

Last edited:

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There is no safety issue with sharing VINs. Not sure what people think will happen. We all drive around with our license plates loud and proud for all to see, and you can reverse look that up as easy or easier than a VIN.

If he wants to remove it he can, but that kind of thing is all but a non-issue. Someone would have to be scouring these forums for someone to post a VIN, then look up the VIN, then be close enough to do something, and all while ignoring the thousands of people they would pass on their travels to do that thing. i just don't know what people think is going to happen.

Especially when one of you is, it seems, named Tim, living in New Jersey, who is a Software Engineer, that owns a 2021 Mach-E and 2016 Durango. Odds are some time on the New Jersey DMV records search would get a result as easy as a VIN lookup.

That isn't meant as an attack or anything, just pointing out that at this point of the internet, we all share a lot of info that if someone really cared could lead them to us fairly easily. But at the end of the day nobody is likely to bother.
Sponsored