Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I'm not an expert on tires/wheels, but we can fit a 245/50/19 tire on the stock premium wheels?
Probably not - 235 width is usually the widest tire recommended for a 7" rim. 8" rim would be more appropriate for 245.
Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I'm not an expert on tires/wheels, but we can fit a 245/50/19 tire on the stock premium wheels?
Yes. Check Tire Rack for the tires you want and the minimum width allowed. All the ones I looked at can be installed on a wheel that is 7" wide.

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
OEM tire revs are 702. My new tire revs are 689. Also, as far as the difference in the speedo, I cannot see any. Not sure if the car automatically adjusts for it or not but using two different speedo apps plus Google maps and Waze, the car registers exactly the same speed as they do.
Certainly not a complaint, I am incredibly pleased with Mark's tire and Signature wheel set up which I copied. I am seeing +1 to +3 mph actual on Waze. With 72 set adaptive cruise on highway, I routinely see 74 on Waze.

Odd part is, when Mark first posted the speedo app showing very little difference, I used the same app and had the same result. But, months later, Waze consistently shows actual speed higher, and I am more carful (some parts of the NYS Thruway, 75 mph at times will get you pulled over, less so recently, not sure why they are letting up).

Anyone know if speedo is based on the front or rear wheel sensor alone (our set up has slightly different circumference front and rear)?

louibluey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE "Louibluey" GB
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Certainly not a complaint, I am incredibly pleased with Mark's tire and Signature wheel set up which I copied. I am seeing +1 to +3 mph actual on Waze. With 72 set adaptive cruise on highway, I routinely see 74 on Waze.

Odd part is, when Mark first posted the speedo app showing very little difference, I used the same app and had the same result. But, months later, Waze consistently shows actual speed higher, and I am more carful (some parts of the NYS Thruway, 75 mph at times will get you pulled over, less so recently, not sure why they are letting up).

Anyone know if speedo is based on the front or rear wheel sensor alone (our set up has slightly different circumference front and rear)?
If the sensor is rear wheels at 295/40/20, this tire calculator almost explains the difference I am seeing (assuming MME is not supposed to auto adjust using gps/nav).
Pressure might play a role too, I run a bit high at times near 40 psi.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Aftermarket wheels are always my first mod Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 2.12.56 PM

Last edited:
OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’ll try to look in the repair manual later today to see if I can find out where they pick up the speed.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
In most cases yes, the factory wheels are 19x7 here are the specs from the tires I bought off tire rack. You should be able to lookup the same type of specs for what make / model tire you have chosen

The way I interpret this is 7.5" width is ideal, but the 245/50/19 will work on a 7-8.5" rim

It's a good pick too because the overall diameter is very close to the factory
225/55/19 is 28.74"
245/50/19 is 28.65"

Ford Mustang Mach-E Aftermarket wheels are always my first mod Screenshot 2021-10-07 224556

Last edited:
OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is what I found in the repair manual:

Wheel Speed Sensor
All 4 wheel speed sensors are active (magneto resistive) sensors that operate on the Hall-effect principle to generate a square wave signal proportional to the rotational speed of the wheel. Because these are active sensors, receiving voltage from the ABS module and sending a varying voltage back to the ABS module, they are able to detect much lower rotational speeds than passive (magnetic inductive) sensors. Each wheel speed sensor is connected to the ABS module by 2 circuits. One circuit provides voltage for sensor operation and the other circuit provides sensor input to the ABS module.
The wheel speed sensors are mounted on the axle flange at the brake dust shield and can be serviced separately.

Wheel Speed Sensor Encoders
The wheel speed sensor encoders are magnetized, toothed rings used to create a Hall-effect switch when combined with the wheel speed sensor. The wheel speed sensor encoders are integrated into the wheel bearings and are serviced with the wheel hub and wheel bearing assemblies.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thought I would share my latest update on my wheel/tire setup. While the new setup does not look as massively wide as my old setup, I need a bit more functionality in the upcoming winter months and decided to get a tire I can use all year round.

In preparation for my GTPE coming in the next week or two (according to Ford's ETA) I went and changed the tires on my Signature SV706 wheels ahead of time. I had Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV Summer Performance tires (255/45/20 front, 295/40/20 rear) and changed them to Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus tires (245/45/20 front, 275/40/20 rear). I need all seasons on the GTPE (I know strange) because I sold my F150 and this will be my DD and only vehicle that I can drive in cold temps and light snow. That is also why I went with a slightly narrower tires front and rear.

I always buy Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s for this purpose but after reading several reviews on their newer All Season 4's, it is one of the more noisy, harsh riding All Season's so for the first time went with Pirelli's All Season's which is supposed to be one of the quietest. I can tell you, while they are at about the same noise level as the Michelins I had on the car, which were quiet, they have a much less harsh ride. Going over rail road tracks or irregularities in the road is just a low rumble and softer feel. The steering is not quite a sharp but as far as performance so far, I don't actually notice any difference. They handle extremely well as the Michelin's did. So far, very very happy with them but have only had them on a couple of weeks.

I also dropped a couple more pounds in weight with the new tires. I have read the GTPE wheel/tire setup is about 60lbs each so overall I'm about 10 lbs less for each fronts and 5 lbs less for each rears so about 30 lbs less weight total. All of this while having a slightly larger wheel in front (20x8.5) and rear (20x10) and larger tires in the rear than the OEM GTPE setup.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Aftermarket wheels are always my first mod IMG_5930

Ford Mustang Mach-E Aftermarket wheels are always my first mod IMG_5933

Ford Mustang Mach-E Aftermarket wheels are always my first mod NZ7_6458D

Ford Mustang Mach-E Aftermarket wheels are always my first mod NZ7_6460D1900

Last edited:

Bodyshopguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e GT/2020 BMW 750iM/60 Vette/12 Wrangler
Occupation
Collision Center(s) Owner
Country flag
I changed my wheels too... 9" wheels and bought another set of the exact same tires...

29706149-8d91-48c7-b5f0-782a0ff9dc6f.jpg

20220423_105512.jpg

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

MachEasy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, Jeep
Occupation
Business Owner
Country flag
Some of those wheels are gorgeous. If looks are more important than range, then go for it.

If looks and range are important, see below.

This video is from another thread, but might be worth reposting. It gets technical, but then BEV's are technical. Might help choosing a wheel. :)

Fascinating. Couldn't follow all the math but could follow the basic message. I think my takeaway is stick with the same size wheels or smaller as the OEM IF range is important to you. I've been noodling this over so this is helpful. Anyone go down a size with their aftermarket wheels?

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Fascinating. Couldn't follow all the math but could follow the basic message. I think my takeaway is stick with the same size wheels or smaller as the OEM IF range is important to you. I've been noodling this over so this is helpful. Anyone go down a size with their aftermarket wheels?
A lot of what he is saying in that video is wrong but the basic concept is right. I went from the factory 19" premium wheel to a set of CR1 wheels to get better range. IMHO the wheels make a bigger difference than the fact that they were 18". When you think about it the biggest difference between a CR1 and premium is the wheels.

It would be interesting to test 19" MME aero wheels vs the Premium wheels. I bet they help on the highway.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A lot of what he is saying in that video is wrong but the basic concept is right. I went from the factory 19" premium wheel to a set of CR1 wheels to get better range. IMHO the wheels make a bigger difference than the fact that they were 18". When you think about it the biggest difference between a CR1 and premium is the wheels.

It would be interesting to test 19" MME aero wheels vs the Premium wheels. I bet they help on the highway.
Yeah, that video annoys the crap out of me.

He has a good start with the analysis of the aerodynamic impacts of tire width. That seems like a solid analysis. Then it goes downhill.

The rolling resistance analysis is pretty good, but then he makes it sound like the average tire has good rolling resistance so there is little room for improvement there. That is BS. Maybe if you have a stock Tesla tire the rolling resistance is good, and hard to improve on, but a standard non EV specific tire does NOT have good rolling resistance. And it is very difficult to know without testing how good rolling resistance is.

And finally, he totally craps the bed with the wheel size analysis. He compares three different tire and rim combinations and concludes smaller wheels are better. All three wheels have different tires, different wheel widths and different designs that greatly impact aerodynamics. But he just says smaller is better. Which is not true. And he does not explain why larger wheels are less efficient.

And then he tells us we hate the environment if we have big wheels. So annoying.

The fact is bigger rims with tires that have smaller sidewalls usually perform worse because of aerodynamic losses due to the wheel rotating and moving forward. Two different factors. The sidewall of a tire is smooth, so it has a less rotational resistance at high speeds when compared to a rim that has open areas to catch the air. But you can design a rim that has minimal aerodynamic losses and is better than a smaller wheel that isn't as aerodynamic. It is aerodynamics that matter, not wheel size.

By the way, he also misses the correlation of wheel width and rolling resistance. I agree width has a minimal impact on aerodynamics, but 50% more rubber on the road would reasonably have a significant impact on rolling resistance.

I wish people would top posting the video like it is some great analysis that provides real answers. It isn't.
Sponsored