Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've been trying to figure out what wheels I am going to go with and usually have them before I even get my cars. I had the wheels for my GT500 two months before I got it. I have purchased many wheels for many cars and trucks but recently only been using Signature Wheels. Not going to get into all the reasons and tech specs right now but they are first class all the way.

I have narrowed it down to three designs and my buddy Terrance is helping me decide by making a few renderings. Here is a GT with Signature SV801's. Below that is my GT500 with SV902's. I am going to look at a simple 5 spoke also. What do you think about these wheels?
I'll post more tomorrow..

Ford Mustang Mach-E Aftermarket wheels are always my first mod IMG_0100

Ford Mustang Mach-E Aftermarket wheels are always my first mod NZ7_53771900

Last edited:

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Terrance is the man when it comes to wheels for sure. I'm a black wheels guy on modern cars. Your GT500 looks great.

lwilliams0514

First Name
Lashawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach E Premium RWD
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
I plan to just have the rims powder coated flat black, get the calipers painted bright Red and Tint the windows with ceramic tint. Also going to do the clear protector on front of car, door edges, and the top of the rear bumper (for scratches when taking things in and out of the trunk).

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I've been trying to figure out what wheels I am going to go with and usually have them before I even get my cars. I had the wheels for my GT500 two months before I got it. I have purchased many wheels for many cars and trucks but recently only been using Signature Wheels. Not going to get into all the reasons and tech specs right now but they are first class all the way.

I have narrowed it down to three designs and my buddy Terrance is helping me decide by making a few renderings. Here is a GT with Signature SV801's. Below that is my GT500 with SV902's. I am going to look at a simple 5 spoke also. What do you think about these wheels?
I'll post more tomorrow..

Ford Mustang Mach-E Aftermarket wheels are always my first mod IMG_12241900
I am totally in favor of nice open 5 or 10 spoke design favoring weight over highway aero efficiency since most of my miles are around town, probably black. I love to have 2 sets of wheels so I can put snow/ice tires on the OEM stock wheels, and use nice looking wheels most of the time around town.

I also give careful consideration and attention to the weight savings versus cost. The signature SV801 wheels at $6k for 4, are WAY more than I want to spend.

Last set of nice light wheels I got were a set of Enkei RPF1.... open spoke, several pounds lighter than stock, and only cost about $250/wheel. I poked around on the Enkei site for a minute, and TireRack, but nobody is ready to list fitment for the Mach-e yet. I'm guessing because they haven't verified the caliper dia and offset for clearance yet.

I'd love to keep track of this thread, and see what wheels ya'll come up with, including weight, source and cost once we get offsets and such needed for proper fitment!

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
I am totally in favor of nice open 5 or 10 spoke design favoring weight over highway aero efficiency since most of my miles are around town, probably black. I love to have 2 sets of wheels so I can put snow/ice tires on the OEM stock wheels, and use nice looking wheels most of the time around town.

I also give careful consideration and attention to the weight savings versus cost. The signature SV801 wheels at $6k for 4, are WAY more than I want to spend.

Last set of nice light wheels I got were a set of Enkei RPF1.... open spoke, several pounds lighter than stock, and only cost about $250/wheel. I poked around on the Enkei site for a minute, and TireRack, but nobody is ready to list fitment for the Mach-e yet. I'm guessing because they haven't verified the caliper dia and offset for clearance yet.

I'd love to keep track of this thread, and see what wheels ya'll come up with, including weight, source and cost once we get offsets and such needed for proper fitment!
I'm in the same camp, for the most part. For me, I'd like to get a bigger contact patch which is the single best modification one can make for an already well handling Mustang.

I loved the wheels I bought for my Boss 302. I think I paid $1400 for the SVE Drifts WITH nice Hankook Ventus RS3 tires on them, something like that. Cheap wheels for sure, but they allowed me to go with a 285 square setup, which was great for the track.

I'm waiting for some early adopters to establish what the maximum widths with correct backspacing is while not rubbing. I'm still bummed that the bolt pattern isn't the same as my S197 Shelby.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I loved the wheels I bought for my Boss 302. I think I paid $1400 for the SVE Drifts WITH nice Hankook Ventus RS3 tires on them, something like that. Cheap wheels for sure, but they allowed me to go with a 285 square setup, which was great for the track.
I will probably not go any fatter than stock for everyday use.... cornering Gs with fat sticky tires not needed around town, would hurt range, and probably not needed with AWD anyway. ;) my goal is more to reduce weight as much as possible, and maintain enough contact to stay hooked up under 'unbridled' acceleration.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Dan, after looking at several different wheel designs on the Mach E, I too might just go with a simple 5 spoke design. I will be getting gloss black to match some of the trim that is on the car.

Yes, Signature wheels are fairly expensive but pretty much most fully forged aluminum wheels are. There are many wheels out there that are flow formed or whatever they call it and are lighter than OEM wheels but fully forged wheels are the lightest unless you go with carbon fiber wheels.

On my '20 GT500, the OEM wheels where flow formed aluminum and where fairly light at 36 lbs for a 20"x11.5" wheel compared to other wheels of that size. The Signature SV902's of the same size I have on there now are 22 lbs each. That is a 14 lbs weight saving per wheel which is quite a bit. The carbon fiber wheels of the same size that are available on the track pack version of the car weigh 19 lbs each. My Signature wheels were expensive yes at $4500 for the set of 4 but the carbon fiber wheels run $6500 each. Now that is what I call expensive!

Knowing the wheel specs for the Mach E, there will be no issues clearing the brake calipers no matter what size wheel or offset we go with. The way standard wheels are designed, Ford had to use a 20" wheel on the GT500 to clear calipers while the way Signature designs their wheels, Terrance has been able to go to a 19" wheel on the GT500 and still clear the calipers. OEM wheels on the Premium are 19" x 7" and I am most likely going with a 20" x 8.5"-9" wheel. The tires will be almost flush with the fender trim lip (I do not like any poke so they will set back just a bit). I plan to have these wheels here, coated with Ceramic Pro 9H and tires mounted (Michelin Pilot Sport 4s 245/45/20 to keep same OEM diameter or 255/45/20 to go slightly larger) before I get my car.

I don't care about aero efficiency/range impact of the wheels and tires. I know larger, open spoke wheels with wider tires will bring it down but I am fine with that. The most I need this car to do is 200 miles round trip for any place I need to go and fairly sure with the AWD extended battery I should get that. I'm getting wider wheels and tires for two reasons. One. for grip because I have watched several videos and some of these reviewers have no problems getting the tires to squeal in a turn without even trying. Two, for the look because I think the OEM tires look too narrow on this car. I will keep updating this thread with my progress.

GatorCat

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE Grabber Blue, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Occupation
HR Total Rewards
Country flag
I was thinking the stock tires were a little narrow also. I wonder what the range penalty would be switching to 245s. Also I’m wondering if there’s a way to tell the car what size wheel you have to help with range calcs?

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
I wonder how much range I'm leaving on the table with the 345's on the back of my Shelby? :oops:

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Your biggest challenge will be trying to find an affordable wheel with sufficient load rating. I struggled finding a decent looking, affordable wheel for my Y and that weighs 400 lbs less then the MME.

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Your biggest challenge will be trying to find an affordable wheel with sufficient load rating. I struggled finding a decent looking, affordable wheel for my Y and that weighs 400 lbs less then the MME.
Agree with that. Fully forged aluminum wheels are not what you might call affordable but it all depends on your requirements. They have no issues with load rating as a true forged aluminum wheel is stronger than cast, flow formed, spun or any other type of aluminum wheels and are the lightest too. There are many designs out there to choose from but you will probably will be spending at least $4000 and up for a set.

My requirements are a strong, very light weight wheel and mostly sure I'm going with a simple 6 spoke. The Signature SV703 wheel is on my radar and as soon as a friend of mine gets his MME at the end of next month, I'll have Terrance from Signature take some measurements then order my set so I will have them when my car arrives most likely in April.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Aftermarket wheels are always my first mod SV703 front

Ford Mustang Mach-E Aftermarket wheels are always my first mod SV703 side

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
Some of those wheels are gorgeous. If looks are more important than range, then go for it.

If looks and range are important, see below.

This video is from another thread, but might be worth reposting. It gets technical, but then BEV's are technical. Might help choosing a wheel. :)

OP
OP
markboris

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I've seen that video. I actually watch a lot of his videos as he is more technical than most. I did not mention range in my last post but that is of absolutely no concern to me. I am not buying the car for very long range. As long as I can go 200 miles, that is the absolute most I would ever drive without having to charge and even then would be stretching it. My car on order is a Premium AWD ER.

This car is mainly for driving around town. If I were to drive to the furthest of my friends/relatives round trip, it would be is just under 200 miles so I would not need to charge as long as I was fully charged when I left. Charging is mainly going to be at home off of my solar inverter which has a built in EV charger and if I need to charge at night, I have a couple of Tesla PowerWalls that would take care of that no problem.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I am doing some homework occasionally.... working on a list of available wheels, sorted by weight, that are going to work for MME. I expect there may be two distinct sections and price points.

Personally, I'll probably end up going with spun (like Enkei) rather than forged (like signature) mostly just because of limit I want to spend on wheels..... But I'm not opposed to starting a list, and sharing

What I'm finding is that the 5x108 bolt pattern is a bit limiting, and availability in the 18,19 x 7.5, 8, 9 sizes....
Sponsored