Aftermarket wheels weight capacity and Mach-E weight?!

Darkenmage

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT AWDe and Honda Insight
Occupation
Semi Retired
Country flag
Does one have to be concerned about a potential weight capability of 3rd party wheels? Obviously our ME is pretty heavy especially with the extended battery and while shopping for 3rd party wheels, some retailers post a weight capacity of their wheels which is not even close to the weight of the ME? Should this be a concern and if so, does one need to make sure the specific 3rd party wheel is rated at the ME weight?
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Does one have to be concerned about a potential weight capability of 3rd party wheels? Obviously our ME is pretty heavy especially with the extended battery and while shopping for 3rd party wheels, some retailers post a weight capacity of their wheels which is not even close to the weight of the ME? Should this be a concern and if so, does one need to make sure the specific 3rd party wheel is rated at the ME weight?
This might be a dumb question, but are you remembering to divide the Mach-E weight by 4? I think the GVWR is around 6000 lbs, so each wheel should be rated to support 1500 lbs or more.

OP
OP
Darkenmage

Darkenmage

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi Retired
Country flag
Not being a tire expert, yes I did not divide it by 4. So if a tire is weight rated at a certain weight, multiply that by 4 to get the total weight capacity they will handle?!

TY

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Not being a tire expert, yes I did not divide it by 4. So if a tire is weight rated at a certain weight, multiply that by 4 to get the total weight capacity they will handle?!

TY
No. Front and rear axle weight ratings will always be different. My E4X is 2660 front, 3225 rear. (See sticker on your door jamb). Absolute minimum wheel rating I would use is 3225 / 2.

OP
OP
Darkenmage

Darkenmage

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi Retired
Country flag
So how does one get the same exact wheels with 2 sets of different axle weight ratings? Every one I have shopped for, has the same weight ratings on all 4 wheels?!

jujaku

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium
Occupation
IT/NW
Country flag
So how does one get the same exact wheels with 2 sets of different axle weight ratings? Every one I have shopped for, has the same weight ratings on all 4 wheels?!
you don't.
you will have to get higher load rating for all 4.

let say car is 5000 lbs, front axel is 2000, rear is 3000, then you will get 1500 lbs (3000/2) for all 4 corners.
better yet, i would add another 20% incase losing a wheel in motion so other 3 wheels can still support the car so it can be brought to safe stop.
Sponsored