Alex on Autos: Full Review After 2 Months

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
I like Alex but his scoring system is all over the place. Road Noise Mach E @71, Tesla @72.5 and he gives both a B. He also does things like, "well, in this class, that's about average, so I'm gonna give it a B+" when 3 weeks ago he rated a similar car, similar scores, a B- with basically the same explanation. He at least gave the model Y a C- for ride quality.

Like the reviews but not the inconsistent scoring.

AoA

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Occupation
Professional Car Talker
Country flag
I like Alex but his scoring system is all over the place. Road Noise Mach E @71, Tesla @72.5 and he gives both a B. He also does things like, "well, in this class, that's about average, so I'm gonna give it a B+" when 3 weeks ago he rated a similar car, similar scores, a B- with basically the same explanation. He at least gave the model Y a C- for ride quality.

Like the reviews but not the inconsistent scoring.
Segmentation and the inability to go back and edit scores is an issue. Once you give something a "grade", you can't go back and re-edit the video because something better came along, which would cause the score in a competitor to go up/down. I think we are going to move to either something more subjective like smiling faces/frowns.

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
Segmentation and the inability to go back and edit scores is an issue. Once you give something a "grade", you can't go back and re-edit the video because something better came along, which would cause the score in a competitor to go up/down. I think we are going to move to either something more subjective like smiling faces/frowns.
Well, you could, and should, for us anonymous internet commentators. Actually, CR does that, more or less, although plenty of people complain about what they do. And the way I score stuff would make a pretty boring video.

As an aside, I grew up in Santa Cruz County and my parents used to go for drives, more or less, where you film a lot of your stuff. It amuses me but it also terrifies me, poison oak everywhere.

ReidB

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Alex! Long time fan. Keep up the great work. You drive a lot of cars and give a lot of ratings. Not an easy task. My hat off to you!

dhubgt

First Name
Daren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 435i gran coup
Occupation
it
Country flag
@AoA Alex- did you confirm that the GT will have 600 hp??

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thanks great video, though a bit long for those who already know about the car.
I find @AoA to be a very reasonable, level headed EV reviewer who understands the pros and cons of EVs, PHEVs and even fuel cell cars. Like the irony of allowing EVs in HOV lanes while gas cars have to stay in congested traffic longer due to fewer lanes, causing MORE pollution!

Not many EV reviewers are like that today. Keep up the godo work!

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
In-depth and very detailed video. Keep up the great work.

americanflannel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
I do not write menu descriptions for a living
Country flag
For a model year closure, you can always do a restacking and pick "class leader" for each class in a "very special episode" of Alex on Autos and tease any model changes for the upcoming models as you do. Been watching you for a while, you're up there in my rotation of people I trust. Thank you for making videos.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Hey @AoA, yes please on swapping out tires! Can you switch out to 235s on the stock rims and see what happens with acceleration, handling, and lateral grip?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It's a tough job trying to quantify so many subjective things; No matter what scoring system you use it will become at least a little skewed over time. Probably the best thing you could do is perhaps mention "knowing what I know now, I would give the previously reviewed car a score of X".

Anyway, I appreciate you doing everything you can to maintain objectivity.