trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
His Model Y range test video was made in 95-degree weather though. Under the same testing conditions I would expect the two to have similar range. In tests done by 3rd parties it has been shown again and again Tesla's EPA ratings are consistently inflated, while others' numbers are conservative. That said, in terms of energy efficiency Tesla sets the benchmark for now.
he said he estimated around 250 for the drive of the model y. That would be 27 miles less than the mache and if you factor in the it supposed to get 56 miles more that is a big difference.

But just for #^$% and giggles, let's say they both got the same. The well tesla has more range yeppy yap goes right out the window now.
Sponsored

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
The one everyone wants to see will be in a few months when @OutofSpecKyle teams up with @Mach-E VLOG and others to do a simultaneous range/charging test battle royale.
Kyle is planning on a big comparison this summer. Not sure if he will need my Mach-E, but it should be epic and have other EV SUVs other than the Mach-E and MY.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
he said he estimated around 250 for the drive of the model y. That would be 27 miles less than the mache and if you factor in the it supposed to get 56 miles more that is a big difference.

But just for #^$% and giggles, let's say they both got the same. The well tesla has more range yeppy yap goes right out the window now.
why would you leave the window open in the cold though? ?

?

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
The heat pump kills us again. He would have gone 278.5 miles with a heat pump.
Don’t know if 65° San Francisco weather is necessarily worst case scenario for this vehicle. We’ll see once we get that Colorado cold weather drive how much the heat pump oversight will cost

He specifically says on the screen that the heat pump makes the HVAC 2 to 3 times more efficient. Hopefully that means that it can perform as well as the Tesla somewhere other than San Francisco.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One other point Bjørn is thinking and I also have heard from a few other autotest drivers. They think ford is really only allowing you to use 84kwhmaybe 85kwh of the battery now.

Cold ford increase the 0 to 60 times later? yes
Could they add another 30 miles of range? yes

Remember the mache just came out. But people only want to compare it to the model y right now as it stands. Laugh at this. But when Tesla launches a new BEV well they will fix it give them time. LOL yep

Give ford years to update and get things like tesla. Time is on fords side.

BillK

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air GT, Zero SR/F
Occupation
Retired-ish
Country flag
The heat pump kills us again. He would have gone 278.5 miles with a heat pump.
I've been driving electric for years and long ago learned to dress for the weather, using heated seats and gloves or heated steering wheel and minimum cabin heat. It's really not a big deal to make the adjustment. Precondition the cabin while plugged it and run the defroster as needed.

In gas cars we're not mindful of the energy used to run the AC but it does have a real effect as to fuel usage. In gas cars we don't think about the heater heat actually being a waste byproduct of the inefficient engine that would otherwise be thrown away by the radiator.

Driving electric is not an exact replacement for driving an ICE car, just as driving a manual differs from driving an automatic or diesel differs from gas. Each requires a little thought and practice to get the most efficient result. e.g., a "slow" fast charger is just fine, and usually cheaper, and better for the battery if you only need to add 10-20 miles to get home.

Embrace the challenge.

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For sure both have similar range at the end of the day. So yes the Tesla Model Y is more efficient because it can go the same distance with a smaller battery.
And that means what when you're on the side of the road with zero left in the battery of either? What it means is the person who does not really know anything buys a tesla and drives and goes oh shit they said 326 but the car is dead at 250.

The mache weight is a lot more also. put that amount of weight in model y then tell me the range. If they are around the same price and go the same distance, then you can what if titty twist it all you like but it means jack squat.

Accord07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Star White Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag

Range and efficiency are two different things. Using the numbers you are quoting, Model Y uses ~300 Wh per mile (assuming 75 kWh capacity, some say usable capacity is slightly lower as the company is not transparent about that), Mach-E uses ~324 Wh per mile (88 kWh for 270-mile range).

Whatever other issues Tesla vehicles may have, they have had a head start on improving efficiency and as a result set the benchmark for now. That may very well change in the future as competitors improve their products.

Mach-E VLOG

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
machevlog.com
Vehicles
Mach-E GT PE - Grabber Blue - Blucifer Twocifer
Country flag
I've been driving electric for years and long ago learned to dress for the weather, using heated seats and gloves or heated steering wheel and minimum cabin heat. It's really not a big deal to make the adjustment. Precondition the cabin while plugged it and run the defroster as needed.

In gas cars we're not mindful of the energy used to run the AC but it does have a real effect as to fuel usage. In gas cars we don't think about the heater heat actually being a waste byproduct of the inefficient engine that would otherwise be thrown away by the radiator.

Driving electric is not an exact replacement for driving an ICE car, just as driving a manual differs from driving an automatic or diesel differs from gas. Each requires a little thought and practice to get the most efficient result. e.g., a "slow" fast charger is just fine, and usually cheaper, and better for the battery if you only need to add 10-20 miles to get home.

Embrace the challenge.
And to be honest, I don't like a toasty car. I put on my coat and all to get warm. If the car is too warm, I'm struggling to get the coat off while driving. And some of us just like cooler temps. My friend joke that they have to bring an extra layer when they come to visit. hahaha

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Range and efficiency are two different things. Using the numbers you are quoting, Model Y uses ~300 Wh per mile (assuming 75 kWh capacity, some say usable capacity is slightly lower as the company is not transparent about that), Mach-E uses ~324 Wh per mile (88 kWh for 270-mile range).

Whatever other issues Tesla vehicles may have, they have had a head start on improving efficiency and as a result, set the benchmark for now. That may very well change in the future as competitors improve their products.
yes, I agree with you on that. But when the models we have are what we have. All the talk of more range is the point. The mache was built more for looks than range. If you think ford or other carmakers can't make one with the same efficiency your wrong.

It's not like ford said we built the mache to be just like the model y and we missed on efficiency. so the point is mute. What isn't, is all the talk of well the model can go Wayyyyyyyyyyyyy longer on range when it keeps getting proven not true. Also, that is with updates to a model y vs a just launched mache.

Last edited:

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And to be honest, I don't like a toasty car. I put on my coat and all to get warm. If the car is too warm, I'm struggling to get the coat off while driving. And some of us just like cooler temps. My friend joke that they have to bring an extra layer when they come to visit. hahaha
most of your tesla drivers are heated seat people to warm. Now with the heated wheel most will only use those two. Your comment is to the point.

1pt21Gigawatts

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
Let me go on record... Heat pumps are overrated.
I don’t agree though. Toyota even made a PHEV. A /PHEV/ with a heat pump with the RAV4 prime for the efficiency benefits. And that’s a car that has infinite KWh from gas.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
they are around the same price and go the same distance, then you can what if titty twist it all you like but it means jack squat.
come on now son ?
Sponsored