Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My comments, on the Indiana Plan, were to emphasis providing amenities, like we see at gas stations. Stuff like trash cans, toilets, food and security for late night charging. The response was my comments were similar to the comments they were receiving from most everyone else.
I also suggested encouraging locating the chargers in gas station/convenience stores. This assumes the stores' contracts for gasoline allowed selling competing products. After all, a gas pump and a charger do the same thing. They refuel cars using different technologies. This may be possible with independent dealers and dealers for Shell and BP (both of which are placing 50 kw DCFC chargers at some of their stations.)
The Indiana Plan has the State contracting with charging providers to find sites at the planned locations. Something that seems to be a good idea as providing chargers does not fit in the normal InDOT contracting process. They also added alternated sites locations. It will give the providers some flexibility.
So read your state plan. Submit a comment if the plan in inadequate to our needs. I have noticed that the comment period for Indiana is until August 20th.

dp-mache

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Soon to be Mach-E GT
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Sick of sitting in Walmart parking lots??

they need to up the tech on the rooftop solar charging panel that charges your EV main battery

signed.
Sincerely
everyone in Arizona.
Jes sayin. They’re not close, but it would be sweet.
Travelling from MI to KY my first stop was Toledo Ohio and it was glorious. A Rest area with Electrify America and Tesla Chargers. Used the restroom and got my lunch from a hardys in the building, by the time i got back out I had enough charge to continue on my way.

I charge mainly at home or work but every experience other than that was walking around walmart just to kill time. I'm hoping when we take a trip in October to Florida it will be experiences more like the Toledo one instead of charging at walmart only to stop again at a gas station to get a drink.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Large parts of ND, SD, WY, and AK may never get EV coverage. They don't have gas coverage in much of the unpopulated areas now.
Well most of Alaska does not have roads either! The AK plan does electrify the Railbelt which is the main road system which basically parallels the Alaska Railroad; however, there is a 100 mile section with no electric distribution. I believe the key here in Alaska for EV adoption is a focus on getting the service available to lower income families and apartment dwellers. I am a spoiled person in that I have a garage and I just would not ever again be without one in this environment. People plug in their cars to warm the battery and the engine and I imagine many wonder how an EV will perform. I know their are quite a few in Canada so perhaps they will be fine. I just wonder how they will operate at -20 to -40 F after sitting out all night. This is the next part of the plan and I am very interested to see what ideas are suggested and implemented.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Travelling from MI to KY my first stop was Toledo Ohio and it was glorious. A Rest area with Electrify America and Tesla Chargers. Used the restroom and got my lunch from a hardys in the building, by the time i got back out I had enough charge to continue on my way.

I charge mainly at home or work but every experience other than that was walking around walmart just to kill time. I'm hoping when we take a trip in October to Florida it will be experiences more like the Toledo one instead of charging at walmart only to stop again at a gas station to get a drink.
Just to point out, that for most people in the greater SE Michigan area, the Ohio Turnpike stops are out of the way. They are building one not on the turnpike.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
I havent had any issues charging on my recent roadtrips from Coral Gables to St Augustine, Tampa, Naples, and Orlando.
I just didn't trust our state gov to care about spending the money wisely. If you ever stop at the Gainesville EA station at rush hour, there is quite a wait, we need more around that area and into the panhandle. It's a bit dicey.

bs1055

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Eng/M&A
Country flag
I just didn't trust our state gov to care about spending the money wisely. If you ever stop at the Gainesville EA station at rush hour, there is quite a wait, we need more around that area and into the panhandle. It's a bit dicey.
I certainly can’t speak for that area of the state. Everything north of Orlando might as well be Canadian to us south floridians.

OP
OP

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Well most of Alaska does not have roads either! The AK plan does electrify the Railbelt which is the main road system which basically parallels the Alaska Railroad; however, there is a 100 mile section with no electric distribution. I believe the key here in Alaska for EV adoption is a focus on getting the service available to lower income families and apartment dwellers. I am a spoiled person in that I have a garage and I just would not ever again be without one in this environment. People plug in their cars to warm the battery and the engine and I imagine many wonder how an EV will perform. I know their are quite a few in Canada so perhaps they will be fine. I just wonder how they will operate at -20 to -40 F after sitting out all night. This is the next part of the plan and I am very interested to see what ideas are suggested and implemented.
🤣 Agreed to No roads, Power, and few people in a large part of AK.

I think once DCFC plans are underway the part is L2 in underserved housing. I can say apartments being built in the last couple of years appear to have some L2 charging available but older complexes are lacking.

Cold weather is a challenge with ICE as well, I remember the days in CO using my block heater in my diesel Defender just to get it to crank when it was around 20, negative temps are crazy hard to deal with no matter what. 🥶

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I havent had any issues charging on my recent roadtrips from Coral Gables to St Augustine, Tampa, Naples, and Orlando.
How was that South Naples charger? Last time I was down there it was not being kept up and multiple chargers were always down. Ditto with the Gainesville charger.

OP
OP

roamtheworld

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Just give us a DCFC in Destin :cool: I can just make it from Austin into FL on DCFC but the last leg into Destin with only L2 is a waste.

bs1055

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Eng/M&A
Country flag
How was that South Naples charger? Last time I was down there it was not being kept up and multiple chargers were always down. Ditto with the Gainesville charger.
Last weekend *only* one of the four stations was down. I’ll be going back over this weekend so I can report back if there was a change.

iam-s-Hon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MME Premium AWD ER Iconic Silver
Country flag
Expansion of capacity along travel corridors is helpful and needed. However, remembering my city-living days and showing my MME to some city-dwellers who rely on street parking it's very difficult for them to benefit from the convenience of overnight L2 charging that those of with garages, carports and dedicated pads have.

The will hamper adoption in cities, were zero emissions can have a huge effect on air quality. Otherwise, those folks will have to claim the space in front of their house with lawn chairs the same way they do after a big enough snow.

Municipalities must get creative with various surface level charging options where people park their vehicles near home- not just at shops and destination parking garages.

Such as, utility poles options with dedicated, permitted and/or time limited EV charging spaces similar to area level permits, maybe? I'm sure there are others, but the convenience was one reason a guy said he'd at most go hybrid, though I suggested a PHEV might be a reasonable compromise.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Went to that Naples WalMart about a month ago. One plug worked. That kind of irked me. It’s kind of a critical location for the Everglades passage. and Gainesville? I don’t even go there anymore. The operational reliability there has been lousy and the last time I was there The whole location was just trashed.
Sponsored