Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
The Rivian info coming out is showing a 62% drop in range for towing. Let's be generous and say the F150 does 200 miles. Then you have to find a way to charge with a camper sitting behind you. That just does not sound fun to me.
They did that test at ~73mph, which is not the best way to optimize range.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Note that for most people a "power outage" only lasts a few hours (unless you're in TX in winter--ok I kid). (ok yeah and hurricane prone areas but you're well warned in those cases.)

We've had a few over the past couple of years and they were both short lived (no more than 2-3 hours) and localized (only a few blocks, the largest was maybe a square mile). This means that, even if my Mach-E was down to some rediculous value (1% charge) I could still have driven it to the nearest Level-2 or DCFC public charger. (Actually when I had the Bolt I did do just this: took it to a local DCFC to pick up a few %.)

Granted not everyone lives in an urban area like myself (with a few Level-2's and DCFC's nearby), however.

Now if the power goes out on the whole Eastern seaboard...welll....

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
This thread has diverged quite a bit from what I think the OP was asking - who is going to all electric vehicles? Not all electric house, but only BEVs.

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Yes. Ford just partnered with a bi directional charger company. You can buy one as well, last I knew they were $4k.
Works with any EV, I think. Limited to 7.5 kW, just like the lightning. https://wallbox.com/en_us/quasar-dc-charger
That's a cool party trick.....I'd be in at $400 but for $4000 I'll sit in a cold dark house for a few hours while Georgia Power figures it out.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Oh... I forgot. I mow 2 acres with a 27hp commercial zero turn.

By the time they make a machine that can cut 2 acres in 100 minutes I won't be mowing anymore.
My Ryobi should do what you want:

Ford Mustang Mach-E All-electric households? 1638365611274

54ā€ cut rated for up to 4 acres per charge. I cut my 1/2 acre lot in about 20 minutes and I have a lot of obstacles. It should easily do 2 acres unless you have a lot of slope or let the grass get a foot tall!

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Iā€™m truly ā€œall electricā€. I only own one car - the Mustang Mach E, and all my utilities are electric (no gas/oil). I also live very close to a nuclear power plant so, while I canā€™t say this definitely, Iā€™m fairly sure my electricity comes at least party from clean, renewable sources. By nature, Iā€™m not the most environmentally conscious person on the planet (no backyard composting, while I sort my recycling into the different bins, my neighbors pointed out to me that our recycling company dumps all the bins into one uncompartmented truck (so why are we separating?) In my case, getting the Mustang Mach E was a pretty simple choice. I knew I was going to be getting a new car and, originally the ā€œrumored ford electric carā€ wasnā€™t on my radar - I thought it was going to be nothing more than a next-gen focus electric with a longer range battery pack (yawn). The plan was the new version of the Nautilus (or possibly Corsair). Then I watched the Mustang Mach E webcast launch and all plans went out the window. I have a firm rule of never buying the first model year of a new car which I broke and, despite some teething pains, I donā€™t regret breaking the rule one bit. The Mustang Mach E is an amazing car!

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
My Ryobi should do what you want:

Ford Mustang Mach-E All-electric households? 1638365611274

54ā€ cut rated for up to 4 acres per charge. I cut my 1/2 acre lot in about 20 minutes and I have a lot of obstacles. It should easily do 2 acres unless you have a lot of slope or let the grass get a foot tall!
Looks cool. In western NC there's no such thing as flat - we're in the mountains. I first bought a $2,500 homeowner-grade zero turn mower and ruined the drive motors in 2 years.

My current mower cost $7600 ten years ago and mows at 7.5mph and because it has 3 blades never clogs. Ever.

A buddy in NJ sent me this video (he didn't shoot it) showing that the lack of blade speed caused this kind of build up after one mow. I mow at least that much every 9 days. That's not acceptable. Keeping the deck cleared of debris is all about the speed of the blades and the amount of air they can move. Any deck over 36" that doesn't have 3 blades moving very fast at the tip is at a disadvantage.

Watch at 13:45:

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Looks cool. In western NC there's no such thing as flat - we're in the mountains. I first bought a $2,500 homeowner-grade zero turn mower and ruined the drive motors in 2 years.

My current mower cost $7600 ten years ago and mows at 7.5mph and because it has 3 blades never clogs. Ever.

A buddy in NJ sent me this video (he didn't shoot it) showing that the lack of blade speed caused this kind of build up after one mow. I mow at least that much every 9 days. That's not acceptable. Keeping the deck cleared of debris is all about the speed of the blades and the amount of air they can move. Any deck over 36" that doesn't have 3 blades moving very fast at the tip is at a disadvantage.

Watch at 13:45:
The hilly terrain is a deal-breaker, for sure.
My 54ā€ has 3 blades and itā€™s never clogged. I just mowed for the last time this season (I hope) and Iā€™ve yet to do anything other than plug it in when Iā€™m done.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
All-electric households?

SashaLondon

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME AWD SR
Country flag
My wife has an ID 3 on order and should get it soon. Then we will be only electric. I wish we could change our boiler for an electric one but itā€™s very expensive without an economic reason.

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
They did that test at ~73mph, which is not the best way to optimize range.
Fair, but changing that variable just means another way your life may have to change. Towing is just not efficient, no doubt. My Gladiator drops about in half on MPG when I tow our camper so I would expect the same. However, it's really easy to fill that small tank back up in a few minutes. Not trying to be a nay-sayer on this one. I'm excited to see where it is going. My personal opinion is that this battery tech is not ready for long-term towing replacement. Hopefully, next gen will be.

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
We live on the rural west coast and the nearest EA chargers are 85 miles away. My remaining ICE devices are a chainsaw-Lewis winch, a 26hp lawn tractor, a Ryobi weed whacker, 2 chainsaws, a ā€˜41 Ford 9N, and the sleeper twin turbo Flex. Iā€™m on the list for a Lightning but a Maverick would work too. My early Xmas present is a 40V chainsaw and Iā€™ve used a 40V lawnmower for two years. The boat is powered by a 305 V8 and thatā€™ll be around for a while as will the Ford tractor.

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
All-electric households?

Far from it. We do have a Mustang Mach-E and are very happy with it. I own 5 other cars (2 Explorers, 1 Jaguar, 1 Mustang GT, 1 Buick), 2 John Deere Lawn Tractors and heat my house with oil.

I joke when people see the MME which is a daily driver for my wife and ask me if i will be getting an electric vehicle. I say yes, it will be a golf cart (for retirement). I imagine I will still own ICE vehicles as project and recreational cars as it is my passion. Replacing and ICE with EV for additional daily driver is not out of the question. Would also entertain electric yard equipment and solar for producing electricity. I have a few mini splits in the house for HVAC...mainly used for cooling, but they do have a heat pump.

eStang

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
software salesperson
Country flag
As soon as my second MME arrives, we will be an all electric vehicle household in Chicagoland. Cannot wait.
Sponsored