Almost $1000 to renew my MME tags!

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
In CT I paid 7.75% sales tax when I bought the car, $4300. Your excise tax is credited against your sales tax. Donā€™t expect sympathy from a CT taxpayer. ??
$1500 to start, probably $1400 next year and $1300 the following year.
Virginia has low taxes that they make up by taxing car owner.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
AZ. $71.50 for 5 years.
In fairness this nice little perk is going away. If you bought this year, you'd pay close to $500, and double that if tou buy in 2023. At least we're not being charged more than other car buyers.

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Same in Minnesota where I live, plus I believe there is an EV surcharge because the state is missing out on the money they collect on the gas tax.

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Washington
Can't believe I have had the car a year already. But what's more unbelievable is how much it costs to renew!! The State of Washington just added a fee based on the cost of the vehicle. Yikes!!

DMV fees.jpg
The $611 RTA excise tax in the Seattle metro area pays for trains and buses. The $40 Transportation benefit pays for more buses. $8 pays for boats. We do like our commuter mass transit here, even if COVID means they're all empty.

The $150 EV tax makes sense as a gas tax replacement for the $0.494/gal ICE owners pay.

The $75 Electrification fee pays for sales tax exemptions for new EVs <$45k and also funds crappy DC fast chargers. The real kicker is that all hybrids pay the $75. So thank you to all the Toyotas out there!

paulcreediii

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford Fusion Energi
Country flag
Ohio charges all electric and plug-in electric vehicles, regardless of battery size/range, $200 per year while hybrids (non plug-ins) get charged $100.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I paid about $450 in Michigan to renew my MME. Honestly, not a big deal when I realize that I'm foregoing about 800 gallons of gas a year, which is close to $300 in reduced fuel taxes where I live (fed + state). My EV surcharge in Michigan is less than half of the $450, so I'm still ahead.

For those of you paying closer to $1,000, I feel for you.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Ohio is $250 a year. $200 EXTRA for having a BEV or PHEV to make up for the lost gas tax.

Deleted member 9461

Can't believe I have had the car a year already. But what's more unbelievable is how much it costs to renew!! The State of Washington just added a fee based on the cost of the vehicle. Yikes!!

DMV fees.jpg
Did you vote for Inslee? remember those $30 dollar tags? I move from Hawaii, 800 each for the ev's (2) AND MOST OF THE FEE GOES RIGHT INTO THE GOVERNMENT POCKET....

Sneezy

First Name
Sneezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 Trans Am Firehawk, 21 Mach E Premium EXT.
Occupation
NRA Rifle Instructor
Country flag
Wait you have to re-register every year? It's 2 years for NY and only cost me $150 ish for the 2 years.
Until you add personal plates.... then it's about $60 extra per year.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
Life long Virginian here. I remember when the car tax was a gubernatorial campaign issue.
So no. Not new here. But thanks!
Same here, lifelong resident and like you I hate the car tax. I never thought of it as controversial as it's been around forever but you are probably right.

shoopla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE, '16 Volvo S60 CrossCountry, '16 XC60
Occupation
Proj Engineer
Country flag
$36/yr here in PA, plus won't have to pay for yearly emissions test, which normally runs around $50/yr. Regular yearly safety inspection usually runs around $15.
No brainer to have an EV here, unless they move forward with the new mileage tax to make up for the lost gas taxes (highest in the country).

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
Same in Minnesota where I live, plus I believe there is an EV surcharge because the state is missing out on the money they collect on the gas tax.
The states needs some way to recover a gas tax not paid by EVā€™s. Maybe the gas tax needs to be eliminated and replaced by state tolls. My other car is a hybrid that uses 1/2 the gas as an ICE vehicle.

hitchhiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e 4x, 1965 F-100, 1999 Chevy Silverado
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The excise tax for my '21 premium AWD was around $1325. I don't remember the rest of the registration fees, but that was the bulk of it. This year it should be around $970.

Excise tax in Maine is a percentage of the MSRP which is lower each year for the first 6 years after manufacture, after which it settles permanently at 0.4% of MSRP. After 6 years it would be around $220.

On the other hand, I just bought a '65 F100. With an MSRP of $1981, my excise tax will be around $8.
Sponsored