tomterky

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Mustang Pony Edition Convertible; 2021 Mach E
Country flag
The states needs some way to recover a gas tax not paid by EV’s. Maybe the gas tax needs to be eliminated and replaced by state tolls. My other car is a hybrid that uses 1/2 the gas as an ICE vehicle.
$718 for new tabs on my MME...$75.00 EV tax included.
Sponsored

Lloydian

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Occupation
Bookkeeper
Country flag
Arizona bases registration on the list price of the vehicle, and that price gets reduced 15% every year after that. But electric vehicles bought by the end of last year (as in two weeks ago) started at 1% of the list price. For this year, they'll start at 20% of the list price.

The biggest component of my cost was the $25 for the personalized plate.

astronut325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium, Toyota Camry, Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software analyst
Country flag
Anyone in Los Angeles have a registration fee to share? Curious what it costs in SoCal.

devildog125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E AWD, '22 Hyundai Tucson SEL AWD
Occupation
Law Enforcement Software Engineer
Country flag
In MO it's about $150 for 2 years but you have to pay a yearly personal property tax. So I register some of my vehicles like my MME in Montana where there is 0 sales tax, 0 personal property tax, and it is ~$250/year in registration fees. Well less than the yearly Missouri tax (~8% on 1/5th the cars value yearly).
The new ev sticker price shocked me a bit when I registered mine. The alternative fuel tax is every year and according to the dmv is set to rise 30% every year. Mo really hates evs

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
The new ev sticker price shocked me a bit when I registered mine. The alternative fuel tax is every year and according to the dmv is set to rise 30% every year. Mo really hates evs
Oh yeah just don't buy the sticker. I forgot about that. They will still give you your plates without it. They get kinda weirded out and the state sends you these letters saying its a $500 fine if caught. Cops don't even know you have to have the stickers...but that could change...

devildog125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E AWD, '22 Hyundai Tucson SEL AWD
Occupation
Law Enforcement Software Engineer
Country flag
Oh yeah just don't buy the sticker. I forgot about that. They will still give you your plates without it. They get kinda weirded out and the state sends you these letters saying its a $500 fine if caught. Cops don't even know you have to have the stickers...but that could change...
I totally would however I work at the Highway Patrol headquarters lol

seattledan206

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E (Ordered), Mazda MX5 Club Model, Mazda CX3,
Occupation
Real Estate Photographer
Country flag
In the state of Washington, the RTA (Regional Transit Authority)tax. I found this on the web from 2019. On the Washington State vehicle registration, there is RTA and Other taxes. RTA can be deducted. ... In the State of Washington, the only portion of your vehicle registration that is tax deductible (on Form 1040 Schedule A) is the amount shown on your statement for the RTA (Regional Transit Authority) tax.

JSeis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD Select
Country flag
I think the early adopters are going to escape some fees but once BEV ownership hits 10%… the state’s highway funds are going to feel the heat. The recent rain let loose about a dozen slides here locally and all along highways built 90-100 years ago w/steep cut banks resulting roads undercut, roads filled with mud. It won’t be cheap to fix. And these are fed aid arterial highways. Local governments are in a worse position.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
I think the early adopters are going to escape some fees but once BEV ownership hits 10%… the state’s highway funds are going to feel the heat. The recent rain let loose about a dozen slides here locally and all along highways built 90-100 years ago w/steep cut banks resulting roads undercut, roads filled with mud. It won’t be cheap to fix. And these are fed aid arterial highways. Local governments are in a worse position.
Yeah, I recently was talking to family members about our EV and was talking about how some of the fuel cost difference comes from road taxes, and I realized an "oh crap" moment that municipalities are going to have to make up the "gas tax" some kind of other way for EVs. Probably is going to be recouped via registration fees, I would guess.

But. there is a problem with that. The "great" thing about the gas tax is, it is proportional both to the fuel efficiency of the vehicle (the more fuel efficient, the less fuel you use, less tax you pay) AND to the number of miles driven (the more miles driven, the more fuel used, the more tax you pay). This unconsciously promotes more fuel efficient vehicles AND things like carpooling and such.

I can't think of a convenient way to tax EVs besides registration tax. From there, it's either
1. something like a flat tax (which eliminates any incentives I pointed out above); or
2. a vehicle value tax (which is in a way perverse because you can drive 1 million miles a year and pay the same tax as someone who drives 1000 miles a year even though you are causing more wear and tear on the roads); or
3. a miles driven tax. But, this requires you to report your mileage when you register (which will end up like the IRS - wealthy people will be able to somehow avoid it and poor people will not)

A conundrum.

joes723

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 GTPE IBSM "LITHEUM"
Country flag
Yeah, I recently was talking to family members about our EV and was talking about how some of the fuel cost difference comes from road taxes, and I realized an "oh crap" moment that municipalities are going to have to make up the "gas tax" some kind of other way for EVs. Probably is going to be recouped via registration fees, I would guess.

But. there is a problem with that. The "great" thing about the gas tax is, it is proportional both to the fuel efficiency of the vehicle (the more fuel efficient, the less fuel you use, less tax you pay) AND to the number of miles driven (the more miles driven, the more fuel used, the more tax you pay). This unconsciously promotes more fuel efficient vehicles AND things like carpooling and such.

I can't think of a convenient way to tax EVs besides registration tax. From there, it's either
1. something like a flat tax (which eliminates any incentives I pointed out above); or
2. a vehicle value tax (which is in a way perverse because you can drive 1 million miles a year and pay the same tax as someone who drives 1000 miles a year even though you are causing more wear and tear on the roads); or
3. a miles driven tax. But, this requires you to report your mileage when you register (which will end up like the IRS - wealthy people will be able to somehow avoid it and poor people will not)

A conundrum.
#3 is definitely going to happen. WA state has been doing a pilot program for a pay-per-mile tax since pre-pandemic. Will most likely be automatically reported via the telematics already built into the car. They found that there are several ways the system can be scammed when people took pics of their odometers and simple photo manipulation.

HeyMomTheMeatloaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Country flag
EV owners need to unite, and drop any political tribalism crap. This issue is real.

DMV/Secretary of State, along with utility companies want to raise EV ownership costs.

They use a variety of reasons, but they are working to extract more $ from EV owners.

We must recognize that we avoid gas taxes, and have a fair solution, but we must know when we are being taken advantage of.

Utility rate pricing programs, vehicle registration costs, and taxes on things like tires are areas that need to be monitored closely.

EV ownership is already expensive enough in USA, and we don't need to make these even less affordable than they already are.