Am I purchasing a Mustang II?

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Exactly. But they are as rare as hens teeth at cars and coffee ☕.
Because they were carbureted and suffered from early attempts at emission controls in the 70's that rendered them difficult to maintain and problematic. In my opinion, you don't see many other cars from that era for the same reason. Electronic fuel injection in the 80's changed that, as well as the lifecycle of cars in general. After 8 years of futzing with the difference between carburetor vacuum and manifold vacuum, I sold my II to a teenager who wrecked it inside of a year. Another reason, you likely don't see many.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Garbone

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
So how or why do you think the Mach E is like the Mustang II?
Well, here is my Mustang II theory. In 5 years or so as Ford has success with it's EV platform a Mustang coupe will be made. In a couple of decades these 4 doors will be looked on as an aberation in the line. We will be "that guy" at cars and coffee ☕. Good cars but Mustang II redux..

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Well, here is my Mustang II theory. In 5 years or so as Ford has success with it's EV platform a Mustang coupe will be made. In a couple of decades these 4 doors will be looked on as an aberation in the line. We will be "that guy" at cars and coffee ☕. Good cars but Mustang II redux..
Fair point. But it is widely acknowledged that the II saved the Mustang and ushered it into the 80's. We can be those same people with the foresight to help the Mustang brand live on for another four decades or longer by purchasing a Mach E.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I think MMEs will be fine

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Only if Ford abandons it in favor of only making a Mustang coupe BEV. I don't see that happening. There will be lots of demand for the Mach E. I expect it to be a parallel to the coupe line.

OP
OP
Garbone

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Mustang II can be good.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Am I purchasing a Mustang II? s-l400

Linda Carter

Ford Mustang Mach-E Am I purchasing a Mustang II? s-l1600

But I digress.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
The crossover EV segment is where the car market is going and it's growing by leaps and bounds. Ford has positioned the MME very well in the crossover space with its combination of good looks, excellent performance, and state of the art infotainment.

If I agree with anything, it's the idea that the first-gen Mustang Mach-E will rapidly be rendered obsolete solely on its EV specs: range + charging speed.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Having always owned a Mustang since I have had a vehicle the thought of a Mustang II haunts me.
I think the reception the Mustang II received does, in certain aspects, haunt Ford's corporate culture in at least in some small manner. Therefore, I find it highly unlikely that the Mach-e will be anything resembling a "Mustang II" event. The most controversial thing about this car is the Mustang badging on it. And that's only controversial in certain rather limited quarters.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The most controversial thing about this car is the Mustang badging on it. And that's only controversial in certain rather limited quarters.
And I predict only for a limited time!

cab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Volvo XC60 R-Design, 2013 Tesla Model S
Country flag
I think the Zune comparison is a good one as well. Indeed, Alex on Autos did another review on the Jaguar I-Pace recently. He pointed out that it was the car everyone said they wanted (an electric crossover), but nobody bought (a trend that continues today) despite the car winning all kinds of awards. Instead, it turns out people didn’t want electric cars...they wanted a Tesla. Admittedly, the I-Pace was/is expensive, but even with massive discounts it just hasn’t sold.

A few years ago my stepson was heading off to college and needed a laptop. I tried to convince him to get a Windows-based machine. When it was all said and done, he simply declared “Look, you don’t want to be the only kid in class w/o a Mac.” I gave up. When the Model 3 was previewed and Tesla landed hundreds of thousands of reservations, it was a pivotal moment when Tesla went from selling Cars to selling COOL! They entered the rarified air occupied by entities like Apple and Starbucks. That is SO DANG HARD to compete against as it isn’t just down to specs or panel gaps. Heck, why do you think Ford applied the coolest badge it has (Mustang!) to the Mach E...what choice did they have?!

I own an older Model S, but as a CAR GUY I am totally bummed out by the lack of competition in the EV space. I think the Mach E is the first “full package” competition to anything from Tesla, but after the I-Pace failed to do much, I am very cautious. I WANT the Mach E to succeed and launch a bunch of cool variants (as with the regular Mustang) - heck, Ford could “make a deal with the Devil” to get access to Superchargers...whatever it takes. Remember, “cool” is insanely hard to overcome...but it it is also fickle, and what was once cool can quickly become meh. So far though, Tesla looks to be on a trajectory more like Apple than other flash in the pan fads.

Like I said, I’m rooting for the Mach E, but time will tell...

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
wait, are there Charlie's Angels special editions of the Mach-E? because if so, sign me up - and if not, then no, it's not a Mustang II. so, this question is a win-win.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Am I purchasing a Mustang II? 1609289221505

Ford Mustang Mach-E Am I purchasing a Mustang II? 1609289251054

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
In 1974, my family went to the local Ford dealer to get my sister a brand new Pinto. As we walked around the lot, I saw the Mustang II between the Pintos they had on the lot and my first thought was this Pinto has fancier doors. I like it.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Am I purchasing a Mustang II? 1609303167026

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Only if Ford abandons it in favor of only making a Mustang coupe BEV. I don't see that happening. There will be lots of demand for the Mach E. I expect it to be a parallel to the coupe line.
I agree, and I think there is a pretty decent chance that the SUV Mustang begins to outsell the coupe Mustang before long.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Are you worried about an all electric or that it's not a Tesla? If it's the latter, don't worry, 100+ years in business outlasts many fads. If it's that your buying an entirely BEV while in the infancy of range, than that is a great discussion to have. Guess what the number one trade in vehicle is for the RAV4 Prime? If you guessed Tesla, your smarter than I was. It seems they get their mostly electric commuter, but then if they want to go on a road trip, 5 minutes of Gasoline gets then another 609 miles. The RAV4 Prime is even selling above MSRP! Helps that Toyota only is making 20,000 this year.

So if your good with all electric, the MME is hitting all the sweet spots on vehicle category, Size and performance. Additionally, a lot less time at lube and gas stations as well!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I agree, and I think there is a pretty decent chance that the SUV Mustang begins to outsell the coupe Mustang before long.
Maybe by 2022 if For can get enough batteries
Ford Mustang Mach-E Am I purchasing a Mustang II? mustangs-sold-by-year-chart
Sponsored