epec

First Name
Wensen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F150, 2022 Ford MME
Country flag
I do not think this is uncommon topic here, might be. had my 2022 MME for 7 months now and have put 12k miles on it, most charging was done in office due to daily commute and might be once a week charge in garage with mobile charger from Ford. When Texas gets into summer (low 90s) now, since three weeks ago, I realize the amber light was on when car was in charge for more than 30 mins, the rate dropped to 5kW but seems still be able to put 25 to 27 miles per hour as amber light was on and out (my guess it reduces the charging rate and it cools down). i touched the charger and plug to wall outlet, it is a little warmer but definitely not hot at all. the plugger is cooler than the charger box for sure. I brought the charger to dealer, they replace it with a new one. As I installed NEMA 14-50 myself, I went back to check the connection, all solid and tight connection. used the new charger, when the garage door was open with air flow, first one hour has no issue, but once I close the garage door, within 30 mins, the amber light is back on and off, charging rate varies between 5kW and 7KW. seems it is charger issue but anyone has similar issue to charge the car during summer (we are not really in peak heat yet). wondering whether I should spend couple of hundreds dollar to buy a L2 home charger or keep using this ford mobile charger.

also I used industry grade NEMA 14-50 , 6AWG wire, 50A CB, so I do not think it would be the circuit issue. the cover plate was never warm
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

epec

First Name
Wensen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
any recommendation on the L2 home charger?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
any recommendation on the L2 home charger?
There are lots and lots of threads devoted to recommendations...

I recommend narrowing down the selections to those that are fully UL Listed or ETL certified. (Most of the Amazon selection aren't safety certified.)

Also check your local electric utility as they may offer rebates or discounts on certain models.

State of Charge is an excellent YouTube channel with EVSE reviews.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

OP
OP

epec

First Name
Wensen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
for me, 32A capacity is sufficient with overnight charging, might need 40A as level up in rare situation as my 50A CB can handle it and you never know sometimes you need some rush charging. definitely love to have 24 ft cable as lots of flexibility in garage .

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Note that some units have different cable lengths depending on where you buy it.

If you buy a JuiceBox at a big box store, it's 20 feet.

If you buy it from Amazon or direct, it's 25 feet.

And, neither is the actual number, because they count the nozzle and round up...

Fixbear

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 SelectMachE4 SR , Mini SE
Occupation
retired, Construction Mechanic, Refrigeration tech, Ford, GMC, Chevy tech,
Country flag
I would also be aware of where they are made and what kind of history they have with replacement and repair. With the Mach-E one does not need a smart EVSE as the car does it for you. All will eventually need parts like a replacement cable, charge port plug over time. Living in your state, check on how well they tolerate heat. I like a metal case, not plastic. It can be a better heat sink. That's why I went with Grizzle. I think Grizzle and Charge Point have been the most popular. Bosch and Siemens had the early market, But pulled a lot of them from heat problem errors.

OP
OP

epec

First Name
Wensen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would also be aware of where they are made and what kind of history they have with replacement and repair. With the Mach-E one does not need a smart EVSE as the car does it for you. All will eventually need parts like a replacement cable, charge port plug over time. Living in your state, check on how well they tolerate heat. I like a metal case, not plastic. It can be a better heat sink. That's why I went with Grizzle. I think Grizzle and Charge Point have been the most popular. Bosch and Siemens had the early market, But pulled a lot of them from heat problem errors.
thanks. i have tried the OEM couple of times , we are 90F today and in the garage, if i close the garage door , it will reduce to 5kw , once I put a fan nearby, it will be back to 7kw again, parts (include CB) are warm, but nothing is hot . i am going to order the Grizzle today, and keep that OEM charger in car
Sponsored